Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Staying true to your sound

Agree 8-) We Love Markus!!!

i also agree that markus is the only DJ that i would travel for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericc B
    In the middle of all this mediocreness I have to say that Markus is one of the very few who has kept his feet strongly planted on the (under)ground that he stands for and is one of the few big ones out there who is truly loyal to his musical style and therefore to his fans. Very contrary to others who are massively selling out their older fans just to appeal to the next generation of 14 year olds.
    sorry but wasn't it markus who said....

"I think trance fans are a lot more open minded than house music purists"

kinda contradicts what he says

Markus has definitely changed his style and incorporated different sounds into his sets. He hasn't full on sold-out by any means though is the point I think.

But you can definitely tell he's added tech-house elements into his sound. Just compare a recent GDJB with a GDJB from 2008...or compare Las Vegas'10 to Miami'05...definitely a shift in style, but at the same time, he hasn't mutilated it like many other DJs in order to appeal to just anyone with speakers.
    @ Atlanta: 09.18.08, 04.23.09, 07.07.10
    @ Charlotte: 09.25.08, 04.02.09, 11.20.09, 09.24.10
    @ Miami: 03.29.08, 03.23.10, 03.26.10, 03.11.11

personally, i think the sound of trance music is changing, the stuff i make now is completly diff to stuff i made 2 years ago, i dont mind as long as it sounds good and not cheesey and has at least some sort of uplifting moment

I like so much Markus's style in the year of "Clear blue"...very progressive and deep.
    Now he play something more trance clubbin style....I would wish he goes a step right to the underground were he came from.
    Therefore I like it what he makes nice bigrooms and mash-up's...
    And most important come finaly to a gig in Berlin!!!

I wanted to agree with you guys too! About Armin in waiting lounges, about trouse, about Markus's style and about La Roux...

We love you, Markus - I can't wait for Prague'11, for Dakota, and for every single one of the GDJBs! Thank you for staying yourself whilst throwing a little of 'foreign' stuff. Have a great year full of creative ideas for sounds!
    ? ? ? ? .........."No rest for the wicked".....(MS Blog) ? ? ? ?

It was interesting to read in the new years blog Markus state that he was angry with the current state of the trance scene, he then went on to say that he was going to express a lot of these emotions through the upcoming dakota project. Great news, but it raises the issue of why bother with the Dakota alias when that sound and feeling is much more Markus Schulz than a Markus Schulz album. Its as if he has his aliases muddled. Markus Schulz - Dark heart waiting or Dakota - Sinners? Both the lead tracks of his respective albums but we all know which one is the true sound of Markus Schulz, and yet the artist titles say different.

Quote Originally Posted by sjhilllandscapes
    It was interesting to read in the new years blog Markus state that he was angry with the current state of the trance scene, he then went on to say that he was going to express a lot of these emotions through the upcoming dakota project. Great news, but it raises the issue of why bother with the Dakota alias when that sound and feeling is much more Markus Schulz than a Markus Schulz album. Its as if he has his aliases muddled. Markus Schulz - Dark heart waiting or Dakota - Sinners? Both the lead tracks of his respective albums but we all know which one is the true sound of Markus Schulz, and yet the artist titles say different.
    Dunno why you care what name goes in front of the track as long as the track is banging. You like the Dakota songs...so listen to his Dakota stuff and ignore his Markus Schulz stuff.

He's tried explaining it quite a few times how he likes to explore his full range and likes to experiment with other artists (particularly vocalists). So that explains the shift Do You Dream took in comparison to Progression. He still tries to keep that sound with his Dakota alias, and that's really all that should matter -- he still makes those kinds of songs at the end of the day.
    @ Atlanta: 09.18.08, 04.23.09, 07.07.10
    @ Charlotte: 09.25.08, 04.02.09, 11.20.09, 09.24.10
    @ Miami: 03.29.08, 03.23.10, 03.26.10, 03.11.11

Staying true to your sound

Kudos to Markus for delivering epic sets on a weekly basis. This man knows what his listeners enjoy and brings it.

I also love that his show isn't a who's who of the trance industry, Global Dj Broadcast is an outlet for good music with the Schulz edge.

Being right in front of Markus at Space, I felt that he really took you on a musical journey. I only hope have more opportunities to see him live this year.

Finally, he has a very well rounded sound, there is something for everyone to love, compared to the Dakota moniker, which is a specific style of Markus. And an artist like Markus needs to have a distinction between his styles because he is known the world over to reach new fans while still catering to the Coldharbour citizens.
    Coldharbour Citizen.