Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Staying true to your sound

Looking back over 2010 I can't help but notice the massive invasion of house music into other genres. So many of the big name trance and prog DJs have been increasingly letting these boring housey tracks into their sets, selling out their style just to appeal to the bigger masses. The same goes for this endless stream of cheesy housey remakes of classics that seemed to be half of all the releases this year.

In the middle of all this mediocreness I have to say that Markus is one of the very few who has kept his feet strongly planted on the (under)ground that he stands for and is one of the few big ones out there who is truly loyal to his musical style and therefore to his fans. Very contrary to others who are massively selling out their older fans just to appeal to the next generation of 14 year olds.

Anyway just thought it was time to mention all that. Markus you deserve a big for what you stand for. Please don't ever think that you need to be like Armin or anyone else. Just be yourself, think Dakota and bang on.

Re: Staying true to your sound

True. Fantastic words, Eric.

Thank you, Markus!

Actually, i love that included housey tracks in sets. Sometimes Markus makes this in his sets (especially live sets), i think its suits because i like house and minimal and techno too.. I don't listen them specially but i like them and they give a different variety to sets. But it has to be rare, not like Tiesto Look at Markus' style in DJ Mag 2009 results: Not your big brother's trance! We all love the old trance sound but the new is bangin our ears too :lol:

Ya, Markus has let the electro-house / tech-house invade his sets a little, which I think has been nice. Helps him build the set up in the beginning. The only one I've had a problem with is La Roux - In For The Kill.
    @ Atlanta: 09.18.08, 04.23.09, 07.07.10
    @ Charlotte: 09.25.08, 04.02.09, 11.20.09, 09.24.10
    @ Miami: 03.29.08, 03.23.10, 03.26.10, 03.11.11

Dakota FTW Dont think the new kids can handle those basslines haha

whatever markus plays is the perfect balance IMO.

he has a bit of everything..

Well Said Ericc B
    Its soo true more and more Dj’s are selling out to the masses. I used to be a massive Armin Van buuren fan but as of late I can’t help but lose respect for him for selling out. I was recently at the doctors and while in the waiting room I heard Armin Van Buuren - Not giving up on love…you know a Dj has gone commercial when you hear him in the waiting room at the Doctors office. Markus has really stayed true to his style and his fans. This weekend I’m hooping on a bus to travel from Toronto to Buffalo to see Markus and I really think he is the only DJ I would take a road trip for. Not only has he stayed true to his very unique bagging style but he is the only Dj that brings it every single time. I have been attending Dj events for many years now and Markus is the only Dj that has never had an off night. Me and my Friends Call him the “Pantera” of trance for his Hard bagging baselines.. So my hat goes off to you Mr. Schulz for not selling out and for being hard working and always staying connected to your loyal fans through your blogs and always destroying whatever Venue you are spinning at.
    Happy Holidays to everyone
    See you Friday Markus
    PS Markus its been 2 months since your last blog.. take an hour sit by the pool, and fill us in on your adventures over the last two months…

I couldn't have put that better myself Agree 100%

Well said guys!!!

absolutely agreed with you guys!!! Respect for Mr. Schulz for his maner to stay in under ground music scene...

I hope I'll never seen him on MTV or another pop channel!
    coldharbour listener