DJing tips and tricks - Markus please help!

Ok, so here it is... a thread for those of us into DJing. I'm sure some of us are pretty good and have been doing gigs successfully, where as some (like me) are just starting out. Hopefully Markus can come in and share some of his tips and tricks from time to time.

I'll start off with some very basics - Markus, do you use the crossfader at all when beatmatching?

I personally use the volume faders, intro the track at about 50% volume, and keep the bass low when I'm bringing it in but on many occasions I can't get the track to mix smoothly enough and I feel like I'm doing too much work when I'm mixing (fingers flying back and forth from the master volume and bass faders). Maybe the crossfader is a better choice?

Any thoughts on how to become more efficient?
    Tune of the moment: Arty & Mat Zo - Rebound :mrgreen:

Re: DJing tips and tricks - Markus please help!

The way of mixing is the secret of every DJ. My advice is to don't use the crossfader, mixing isn't pulling a button from left to right. Btw if you do then you'll hear that the volume of the first track lowers. You never hear that with professional DJs like Markus.
    So only use the low, mid and high EQs!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer
    The way of mixing is the secret of every DJ. My advice is to don't use the crossfader, mixing isn't pulling a button from left to right. Btw if you do then you'll hear that the volume of the first track lowers. You never hear that with professional DJs like Markus.
    So only use the low, mid and high EQs!
    thanks for pointing that out. for the longest time i wondered how songs were mixed when they would never use the cross fader. now it makes sense.

markus is definitely one of the best dj's in terms of seamless mixing...well, best dj's overall too.

One big and important trick Markus uses is he basically edits all of the songs he plays himself, making it easier to transition for them in his sets.
    @ Atlanta: 09.18.08, 04.23.09, 07.07.10
    @ Charlotte: 09.25.08, 04.02.09, 11.20.09, 09.24.10
    @ Miami: 03.29.08, 03.23.10, 03.26.10, 03.11.11

Another note on edits - They really seem to be key for alot of professional djs. Being a bedroom dj myself, I get really frustrated when I buy official tracks from places like Beatport because many times the song (including many songs schulzty plays) are shorter than your average expected dj track. Either that or they have 'unfriendly' beginnings or endings. By this I mean the beginning of the track does not have a bass beat or begins too soon without a proper buildup.....I'm sure it's rather easy to copy and paste sections of songs together without using some fancy software but I have not spent the time nor want to get that involved into djing (I'll leave that to the pros ) I can assure you that everything time you see a song titled "markus schulz edit" thats exactly what he does or else rearranges the song to keep the good parts and get rid of the bad parts (big room reconstructions)

I'm actually glad he does this because it keeps the pace of his sets up and somehow he just has an ear for knowing what songs are good and making them better...I get very excited when I see a GDJB world tour set with 25 songs in it and about 15-20 are either his songs, remixs or reconstructs. Look at other djs sets and you not see a better crafted setup of songs. (or listen to some of armins mashups and see how bad they can be :mrgreen: )

Another thing that will help you out djing is to watch dj vids online at youtube or something similiar. Forget all the bells and whistles that you can get with mixers and cd players and just stick to the basics of beatmatching and mixing the songs live. Almost rarely do trance djs use live effects (except when armin uses the roll effect almost every mix---haha--google it i'm serious he kills it!) so just stick to the basics...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Rick
    Either that or they have 'unfriendly' beginnings or endings. By this I mean the beginning of the track does not have a bass beat or begins too soon without a proper buildup.....
    I agree! One example is "Sun In The Winter (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix)" the beginning is way too loud! In that case you should fade in the volume a bit.

I'm a complete beginner, but i never touch the crossfader, volume & eq all the way. Cueing up the next track properly & avoiding key clashes are the main thing for me between a smooth sounding transition & a complete trainwreck.

Also use a program to find the BPM and keys of your tracks. I use Virtual DJ for this.
    I read somewhere that Markus uses the program "Mixed in Key". I tried that program once but it didn't show the BPM and key for me. :P