Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happened

Re: What Happened

I think as such huge fans we tend to be overly critical. I completely agree with most of the people that Markus in fact made the Dakota album after all, and people complain about the vocal productions? On Do You Dream, yeah there were a lot of vocals but they were in no way pop-ish and Markus' tracklists from shows are proof that he doesn't overload his sets with vocals. He makes the anthems.
    That's not to say everyone doesn't have a right to complain because that's what forums are for, to voice our opinions but imo Markus hasn't lost anything.
    Listen I mean we all have those special moments with different tracks and artists that are special to us at certain points in our lives.
    Saying things like "oh this or that artists will never be as good as the good old days" while I feel sometimes warranted, can be such a narrow view to take as we all go through our own introspective musical journeys.
    Even as trance and the Coldharbour sound has evolved over the years, I think it's too easy for people to say that the classics were the best and everything after will never be better, of course the won't to some people, that's when some of us could have just discovered trance or edm back in the day, when everything was fresh and magical. of course nothing after will feel the same...
    but that doesn't mean it can't still be great and meaningful music to everyone else....

As a somewhat new listener to GDJB, I can tell you all of Markus' episodes are amazing. I do not find a boring spot in any of the weekly shows.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Markus perform twice, and both times he delivered a truly great performance.

His city compilations are works of art in sound. Toronto and and Ibiza being my two favorites, followed by Vegas 10.
    His Best of World Tour 2009 keeps spinning in my car and at work, even in my phone.

Progression was great and DYD is my new favorite artist album, bar none. I listen to it all the time.

So as a new somewhat new listener, Markus, to me, is at the top of his game.
    I know for a fact that anything with Markus Schulz and/or the Coldharbour name on it is quality.

The way I see it, there's Armin for more commercial/uplifting crowds, and Markus for those of us who prefer our taste in trance.

Long story short, Markus has yet to put out anything subpar. And I trust his judgement with his productions.

And BTW, congrats again on Perception.
    Coldharbour Citizen.

Though I tend to agree with a lot of the stuff that has already been said there are a few things that I might have a different opinion about too.

First and foremost Markus is and has been one of my favorite DJ's for a long long time and I sincerely hope it will stay that way. I don't visit this forum that often but rarely a day goes by without at least one of his sets, shows or tunes hitting my ears. Whenever possible to see him live I am there. GDJB is one of the few radio shows that I always play more than once. Except maybe when it's a World Tour recording with some dillweed constantly and obnoxiously shouting through the music at 100dB. Seriously, what's up with that? Please dim the mikes Markus

Anyway things I might not agree on would for example be DYD being a great album. I'm one of the critics. I don't like the fact that there are 16 album edits crammed into one disk, I think the video clips are seriously bad, I really only like half of the tracks and I really dislike the other half. And it's not so much the amount of vocal tracks, I can dig a good vocal track like any other, but the quality of them. Seriously: Dark heart waiting, Unsaid, Lifted, Not the same (to name a few) they all gave me shivers, but not exactly positive ones. Now I will take Markus' word for it that this is what he wants to do and express and I respect that. But personally I think they are awful. Now let's not beat around the bush, there is pressure from both Armada and management to put out these high amounts of vocal tracks because they stick much easier to the general public and more popularity with the general public means more sales and more and bigger gigs, aka more money for the people who benefit from selling the music and booking the gigs. We all know who they are. Having said that, it's also very clear that unlike guys like Armin and Gareth Markus is actually one of the few who firmly stands his ground in the DJ booth and sticks to his underground style. And I thoroughly respect him for that, in fact the reason I came out here tonight is that I was feeling blue about not being able to be at Amnesia tonight and watch him kill it once again.

In a way I feel with what the topic opener tried to bring across the table. In the past year more than ever before Markus has been under the pressure of having to be popular because his record company and management want nothing more than to turn him into another Armin. Money money money. Blegh. For people who follow the scene closely it's tempting to put one and one together and draw conclusions. Actually it's what I am doing myself. Whether I am right or not might be a different manner, but it's the way I see things.

This is also why I find it heartbreaking to read in Markus' blog that he considers his annual standing in the DJ Mag top 100 as his report card from the fans. Dude, PLEASE DON'T! The DJ Mag list is the biggest farce in the industry and means absolutely nothing in terms of how your fans think of you.

While I'm writing this I'm relistening to last weeks GDJB World Tour recording. It's simply awesome. And it's exactly why I love this guy. Despite a few hit and miss tracks on an artist album, he's also the guy that gave us the Dakota album and Progression (which I personally love from the very first to the very last bit). He's they guy that outdoes all the others in the DJ booth. Although please lose the childish heart signs, they are not only very unoriginal (Armin already stole them from Ferry) but also extremely gay (no offense to gay people btw). And on top of all he's the guy that involves his fans more actively in his walks of DJ life than any other. And for all that Markus, I salute you.

I'm an avid listener of the Global DJ Broadcast and I truly love Markus Schulz as he is NOT A sell-out like Tiesto ( whom I used to like before I found Mr Marvelous Schulz)

I don't really understand what is the problem with vocal tunes, and as many people have correctly pointed out, Markus always gets the right quality and amount of vocals in his sets.

Now, with regards to his artists albums, yes, there are mostly vocal tunes in them, and I think the great majority of those vocal tunes are not what Guetta, Tiesto or the like would produce. They are meaningful, they become instant anthems by themselves and by the masterful way Markus inserts them in his World Tour live sets!!!!

Markus keeps surpassing himself each day. I have been closely following him during the last 3 years and I have even got at least a couple of friends of mine to adore, worship his style ( sort of like setting up an altar to a markus schulz picture lol. Yes, I love his style that much!).

On another topic, I felt disappointed ( at firs, I even deleted it from my iPod, re-added it two days later :0 ) with the latest world tour broadcast ( Budapest) . I was really looking forward to it as the previous set in Budapest was undoubtedly one of the best last year. So, I listened to it again and I was in an pure blisss.. I don't know if it's just me, but each set by markus sounds even better the second, third and so on ... time that you listen to it as you're able to better pick up the intricacies, subtleties of it. Now I believe that this year's World Tour Recording at Budapest is probably the best this year ( with Moscow and London following closely).

FINALLY, Thank you Markus Schulz for even bothering to check the forums and take the time to discuss topics about your awesomeness!!

PS: Markus can you please play this tune: Scott bond vs solarstone - naked angel

Thanks.

Eric, you know what i mean!

2007, 2008 & 2009 Markus played much beter sets than 2010.

It started in januari in my opinion!

The best thing of 2010 was "Las Vegas" cd 2, and i love "Surreal"

But as a good fan, i wont stop listening to Markus!

Go Markus go!!!

Have a blast at Amnesia tonight.....

We love you, thats why we are here on the forums....
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/renecieremans
    Twitter : http://www.twitter.com/renecieremans

Going to:

Markus solo set at Space Ibiza 20-07-2011
    Markus vs Gareth at Space Ibiza 03-08-2011

You have to take into consideration what songs are being produced...sounds like to me you just liked what producers were producing last year and in 2008 more than what they are now. Markus plays the songs he likes and he hopes his fans will like that are current and up-to-date...for the most part.

I like the songs from Markus' sets in 2008 the most (hence why he catapulted to #1 in a flash in 2008 imo)...but it's not like he can just go out there and grab the 2010 version of 6am or the 2010 version of Biscayne or the 2010 version of Shana or the 2010 version of Formentera What...those songs just don't exist...

I mean...what songs would you like to see him playing and what songs do you not like that he plays that would get him back to his 2008 style? I personally don't think it's his fault...he has to roll with the industry and play what's being produced...
    @ Atlanta: 09.18.08, 04.23.09, 07.07.10
    @ Charlotte: 09.25.08, 04.02.09, 11.20.09, 09.24.10
    @ Miami: 03.29.08, 03.23.10, 03.26.10, 03.11.11

This topic is actually getting a bit excessive... it's about Markus' livesets and everyone is telling what they think of Markus' productions and his artist albums (including me)...

NOTHING is wrong with Markus' livesets! Actually they're amazing and the best ones I've ever heard.
    He picks his tracks very wisely. If you compare the played tracks by Markus to Armin you'll notice a lot of differences. (yes including instrumental tracks)

And if you think that his sets got weaker since 2008 then it's definitely not Markus' fault.
    We can always count and trust on Markus' decisions about picking tracks.

Just like jimaeus said.

End of this topic!

We all wont stop listening, i'm very sure!!!

Markus forever!!!!

Going to:

Can we ask him? Yes we can! :-)

Markus,

i heard 45 min live of your set on Amnesia radio!
    Sounded great!!

PLEASE SHARE YOUR 7 HOUR SET WHIT US......

Help me guys, mayby he willllllll........

Going to:

Administrator

I think if you read Markus' latest tweet, you might get some pleasant news.