Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happened

Re: What Happened

Markus you need to relax. i saw u at global gathering in england and u have got something no other dj there had... ur personality and set sets you apart from the rest. Keep up the good work...ps mr pit - sky traffic tuuuunnnneeee!

If anything, you are too modest Markus in the sense that it is pretty much gaurenteed most DJ's will end their sets on the same classic tracks which got them big, whereas in the many times I've seen you perform, you dont bring out the classic Markus vocal anthems anywhere nere as predictably or frequently. That is commendable.

Administrator

Firstly, fair play to you guys for your honesty, and also credit to Markus for taking some time out of his day, and having the willingness to respond.

I'll break my opinion into different sections, to address the various criticisms that have been cited so far.

Liveet Programming:
    I'm going to present you the tracklist of a liveset Markus did literally just over 7 years ago. This highlights two things - he played a lot more vocals, and he played a lot trancier than people normally expected him to back then!

Markus Schulz Live From Quench in Miami, Florida - August 2nd 2003
    01. Piece Process - Solar Myth
    02. Afrika Bambataa - Planet Rock (Markus Schulz Reconstruction)
    03. Atention Deficit - What
    04. Andain - Beautiful Things (Gabriel & Dresden Unplugged Mix)
    05. Dave Gahan - Dirty Sticky Cool (Markus Schulz Reconstruction)
    06. Fictivision vs. C-Quence - Symbols (Mesh Remix)
    07. Mesh - Purple Haze
    08. Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes (Gabriel & Dresden Sweeping Strings Mix)
    09. Duncan Sheik - On a High (Gabriel & Dresden Love From Humboldt Remix)
    10. Push - Journey of Life
    11. Aalto - Rush (Super8 vs. Orkidea Remix)
    12. ID
    13. Solid Globe - North Pole
    14. Weekend Players - Into The Sun (Riva Remix)
    15. Nalin & Kane - Beachball (Gabriel & Dresden South Beach Vacation Mix)
    16. Rank 1 - Breathing (Breaks Mix / Markus Schulz Reconstruction)

What is also important to remember is the difference between preparing a liveset for a club and for a festival is immense.

If you're playing at a festival, you're hyberboled into a short set. You're playing with all the other top names in the business, who may play quite a few tracks that you also play (think Stranger to Stability which Markus has had in his livesets since October last year, then Armin comes along 6 months later and plays it, and now Gareth Emery feels the need to do the same throughout the summer).

Also, there are tracks which work beautifully in clubs (and indeed on the radio), but just don't work at festivals - because you're playing outdoor and a lot of the intricicies get lost as a result. So the Markus Schulz festival set has to be faster and with more tension, because he simply doesn't have time to build things up. If you start off slow, you kill the energy and people walk away from the stage.

If you have been lucky to see Markus play an extended set (lasting at least 5 hours), then you know how deep he starts, and builds it up throughout the night. He's still doing the same thing in this regard as he was 7 years ago - the James Holdens and Ozgur Cans of back then are the Gai Barones and Moonbeams of now. Listen to the solo set from Amnesia last summer as proof - he started off playing deep house in his first hour at 126bpm.

Old Markus vs. New Markus
    I have been listening to Markus and GDJB every week since late 2003, and have been able to watch his sound grow and evolve over time. You have to remember, he went from being a weekly resident in Miami to gradually touring overseas reguarly (often as a supporting act for more established names), to becoming part of big arena and festival lineups (Transmission, Trance Energy), and now stands as one of the leading headliners in the business.

But in order for that to happen, his sound and his livesets had to evolve. If you're booked to play at Trance Energy, you can't just show up and play deep and progessive type stuff - you need tracks with more tension, tougher basslines and bigger riffs, and occasionally, that vocal which everyone can identify with.

From my viewpoint the one thing that has been maintained in Markus' productions from years back to now is that the melodies always stand out and stick with me. The supporting cast might make things seem a little different but the strength of the melody has always been there.

And the fact remains, if Markus finds something that moves him musically and emotionally, he'll play it, regardless of what labels people attach to him as a DJ. I firmly believe he would be playing the original of Opera of Northern Ocean for instance on GDJB every week in 2003 if it was made back then.

As for which Markus I prefer - I prefer the Markus that plays at a bit of a pace and has the driving basslines with the big melodies. Vocals on any trance track are an acquired taste, but far more often than not, Markus gets the vocals right.

The Albums
    I can only speak personally and say that out of the three Markus Schulz albums, Do You Dream is my favourite. There isn't a single track on there that I don't enjoy, and I couldn't say the same about Without You Near and Progression.

For me there are still plenty of dark tracks on there - Alpha State, Away, Surreal, Goodbye, even Lightwave or What Could Have Been. Not The Same is in a similar style to Once Again and Travelling Light from WYN, you have happier moments with Dark Heart Waiting and Lifted, and then you have your big room stompers like The New World, DYD, 65.4Hz and Rain.

Just to give you some stats - Without You Near had 9 vocal tracks out of 13, and Progression had 7 out of 13. So the Markus Schulz albums have always been vocal driven, and that for me is not necessarily a bad thing. The idea of an artist album is to explore who you are as an artist - writing songs, thinking about song structure with vocals that tell a story, working with vocalists and songwriters, and occassionally, other producers. I like the fact that I can put in the DYD CD, press play and be taken on a really enticing journey from start to finish. It's designed to be a one-to-one listening experience, not necessarily 100% for the clubs.

The Thoughts Become Things album on the other hand was completely different. In fact, you could go as far as saying that it wasn't really an album at all - it was more of a collection of individual, cool tracks that were completely designed for the clubs and nothing else.

Overall I think Markus gets the balance right, and I think the time spent in working under the Dakota moniker and making Thoughts Become Things gave him a great springboard to create an album in Do You Dream that I honestly believe will have a very long shelf life. And I believe that the tracks from the album have greatly enhanced his livesets in 2010.

So in summary, people can say Markus has faults and he can't please everyone, but I think that on the whole, he ticks a lot of the right boxes for all of us. Compare that to all of the other top DJs, where I could pick some seriously huge and gaping holes in their performances this year, but I'm too nice to do that.

I could go on and on, but you're all probably bored to death by reading all of that! :P

I have not known Markus's before April (to my great loss), but have now all of his albums, and in general have been catching up quite rapidly, so I feel I deserve to involve in the discussion also. Good topic, BTW.

Firstly, we truly got the most amazing DJ. I was astounded how he writes his blogs, with what care to details he pictures his touring, it's almost like we are travelling with him, the kind of personality sticks out of them, how much effort there is in everything he does, how much dedication,.... seriously guys - Markus cares so much.... Do you think he would betray his old clan, all of his fans deviating from who he is? Would Markus want to disappoint us?... Do not put him into the small little trance box (we have other DJs for taht who apply the same bouncy beat over every track) - lets give him space! He's got so much talent!...

Having heard first Amsterdam, Dakota,...then listened to Do You Dream. As much as I would prefer the older style tunes (who does not like to hit the alpha state?... ), the DYD album grew on me almost instantaneously, although being different. And I can understand reasoning behind it why it is different.

DYD is a bloody-good album even if Markus did aim a couple of tracks as vocals! You compare Tiesto's vocal works with Markus's for example.... Pardon Tiesto fans, DJ Tiesto does have cracking works, I take my hat for him, but his sound no longer cuts the mustard for me.

Markus's recent album's vocals are wrapped up by his still Schulzy tunes (in my view anyway), the melodies intertwine with voices so well, we can still well hear Markus's sound. Not throughout, but in places the vocal tunes do also complement the music serving as an instrumental sound. It was for this reason that the DYD album grew on me fast. And even though other fans may occasionally be right winging about vocals put in tracks, the album is not only about the vocals - almost every track sounds so different, Lightwave with more frequency, Alpha state with no beats, etc etc etc..... Come on you guys! It is for this experiment that we should give Markus a credit and not question his fidelity to his sound!
    I massively love Markus, and although can't make it for his solo set 10th August, I will melt how much I want to see and hear him in flesh in MOS August 27th, and then Ibiza August 31st!... at least for those 3 hour sets.

Markus,
    When would you be releasing your schedule for the remaining of the year? I want to plan my time properly to make sure I get into all other of your 7 hour solo sets.

Love,
    Zivile
    ? ? ? ? .........."No rest for the wicked".....(MS Blog) ? ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by ImpactPlayaz
    From my viewpoint the one thing that has been maintained in Markus' productions from years back to now is that the melodies always stand out and stick with me. The supporting cast might make things seem a little different but the strength of the melody has always been there.

As for which Markus I prefer - I prefer the Markus that plays at a bit of a pace and has the driving basslines with the big melodies. Vocals on any trance track are an acquired taste, but far more often than not, Markus gets the vocals right.

I can only speak personally and say that out of the three Markus Schulz albums, Do You Dream is my favourite. There isn't a single track on there that I don't enjoy,

Practically, what I was also trying to say typing probably at the same time as you did ....Spot-on.
    ? ? ? ? .........."No rest for the wicked".....(MS Blog) ? ? ? ?

Back when I first started listening to Markus in like 2004, he was more of a guilty pleasure listen. I like his new style more. Back in the day, the deep, progressive tracks were great to chill too, but they weren't necessarily making the car bang, and I'm not sure how I would have liked that sound in the club per se. I wish I could have seen him live 6-7 years ago, I would have a better base to compare to rather than just radio sets.

I personally think Markus plays just about a perfect ratio of non-vocal to vocal. In a 30 song set, give or take, Markus will play about 7-8 vocal tracks. That's a great ratio in my opinion. I personally like the occasional vocal, and Markus does a great job of mixing the occasional vocal in. It flows amazing with the set, it's usually a vocal everyone can sing along too and get a breather from the ridiculous tech bangers he was playing leading up to it.

I'm kind of getting annoyed with all of this vocal bashing on artist albums to be honest. Even with Armin's albums. You guys do realize most of the songs will be released as singles with dub versions, right? I'll admit, I didn't like seeing 11 vocal songs on Do You Dream?, but it seems like we'll get a dub version in just about every single. And I agree with ImpactPlayaz, Do You Dream? is the best album so far in my opinion. After giving every song multiple listens, I can say I love every song except Unsaid. Maybe if I hear it in the club I'll change my mind on that one too. Also, Markus did release an album last year with ZERO vocals. Don't forget that!

BTW ImpactPlayaz, there's no "u" in favorite!
    @ Atlanta: 09.18.08, 04.23.09, 07.07.10
    @ Charlotte: 09.25.08, 04.02.09, 11.20.09, 09.24.10
    @ Miami: 03.29.08, 03.23.10, 03.26.10, 03.11.11

So Markus,

Share youre set from tomorow at Amnesia whit youre biggest fans....

Pleaseeeeeee
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/renecieremans
    Twitter : http://www.twitter.com/renecieremans

Going to:

Markus solo set at Space Ibiza 20-07-2011
    Markus vs Gareth at Space Ibiza 03-08-2011

When people complained about the album being full of vocal tracks, a lot seemed to completely forget about the Dakota album, which was all dark proggy tracks. I said this in the album thread at the time, but having that alias up & running again frees Markus up to experiment a bit more & show what he can do as a producer.

Had the Dakota album not been released, i'd imagine Do You Dream would have ended up sounding a lot more like Progression with a mixture of the 2 styles.

I really can't understand any complaints about livesets having too many vocals though!

Markus hasnt lost anything! If anything the man is climbing and getting more fans in the process of it. Look I've been a huge fan of Markus for a very long time. Pre-Coldharbour days peeps. I'm from the oldskool, I come from the Edgefactor days and the great times at the Works in AZ. To me Markus has always had a great style. He has always found a great balance between the real proggy/epic stuff and the uplifting melodic trance. To me he still has that to this day and that's why I still support and listen to his music. Of course I love the dark proggy stuff he plays, but man the feeling I get when he drops a beautiful vocal track is like no other. Im not gonna lie, at first when I heard the DYD album I thought it kinda sounded pop. But, after listening to it and letting the entire album play, I knew he nailed it. The only track in question on DYD is "Unsaid," but other than that the album is great! I've been listening to Markus this long and the man has never let me down , so I truly believe we need to listen when he says, "TRUST ME!"

Markus I have one request for you. Do me a favor and play the track by, Slacker - Psychout, on GDJB one of these days. Take me back for a moment, please! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Danger
    Markus hasnt lost anything! If anything the man is climbing and getting more fans in the process of it.
    +1

In my eyes, this is a fantastic year for Markus. I can def. tell he's working hard. The album is great, GDJB is always spot on, and his shows are some of the best I've attended----he is one DJ I love traveling to see because I know it will be worth my while.

I gave him my top spot in the top 100, deservedly so---this is YOUR year, Markus.
    @mberell@
    The DJ, the Music & ME
    twitter.com/amberella06