Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happened

What Happened

Hey Markus Fans,

What do you guys think of Markus so far this year?

I think he is loosing a bit of his touch. I listen to Markus a lot (Cd's, Live Sets en GDJB) and i think his lost something. Last year he was playing beter sets, deeper tracks and beter building...
    Don't get me wrong, i am a very big Markus fan and he has a lot of credit but i wanted to know what you guys think of it.

Please share......
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/renecieremans
    Twitter : http://www.twitter.com/renecieremans

Going to:

Markus solo set at Space Ibiza 20-07-2011
    Markus vs Gareth at Space Ibiza 03-08-2011

Re: What Happend

Good subject.

In my opinion it's been a great year for Markus so far and he has a great chance to end higher on the DJMag poll than last year because of his album and massive livesets.

On the other side, there was a lot of critiscism on his album because of the amount of vocal tracks and the less "darker" feeling as we know Markus. Personally I don't have a real problem with this but I can imagine the real "Markus veterans" do and I actually hope we won't get an album like this anymore.

Let's get back to the real Markus stuff, in that case a higher ending in the DJMag poll would be well deserved.

definately agreein with you guys that Markus has entered more of the vocalish style since release of his latest album.. Can't say I am suprised after 6 Years of listening to this amazing artist with his combination of tech, prog and now vocal..
    I hope he goes back to his roots when producing his next album "Dakota" deeper darker tracks... Larger and more of those complex Builds like in New World and Alpha State..

But at end of this year I am really really hoping for him to enter the top 5 in DJ Mag Poll...
    When it comes to the DJ Poll,, Seeing/Listening to Markus is such an exiperence.. from all his World Tour and Live sets, he is unreal,,
    He has that extraOrdinary skill like Bruce Lee to say in DJing
    He is my first pick in my ballot,, if i could i would give him all 5 votes....
    My Montly show DuB FanaticO Every 2nd week of the Month on TribalMixes RadiO

You Can also find me on TheMixingBowl , Twitter and Facebook

I have had this conversation often, but since on this message board are the true fans I don't mind discussing it again.

I think perception of my style right now (pardon the pun), is that I am going more vocally. The reality is that the ratio of vocals to instrumentals in my sets are the same, if not even more leaning inst. For example, yesterday at Dance Valley I played no vocals at all until the end of my set when I played Perception, Not The Same, Do you Dream.

I always say, I produce artist albums differently than a mix CD. The artist albums are there to showcase who I am as an artist, and not necessarily as a DJ. When I made the "Do You Dream" artist album which is mostly vocal, that does not mean I play every one of the tracks in all of my DJ sets. If anything that would be the biggest criticism of my sets coming from the newer fans, the fact that I don't play all of the tracks they know on my album in my sets.

When I program my sets I very rarely play vocals back to back unless they really fit the vibe. My theory of programming comes from the days I played in the gay clubs. I would play 3 or 4 tracks to build into a big anthem. I still try to do this today. Of course we are in the middle of festival season where programming sets are totally different. I guess that is why I love doing the proper 8 hour sets. You can really tell musically what I am about when you hear how I build my sets.

just so you know, I will be a bit candid here, I used to do pop remixes back in the day. It was actually a very dark time for me creatively. I hated it. Not until I moved to Coldharbour Lane and focused on who I wanted to be as an artist did my enthusiasm return. I have no interest in being a pop-star DJ. I even warn these other guys that the road they are taking is very dark. Creatively it sucks the soul out of you. Again....I have ZERO interest in going down that road. If you hear a pop style track on my album (Dark Heart Waiting), do not be alarmed. At the end of the day I am having fun in the studio working and did not think that track should have been left off the album. Of course it was not my choice for it to be the first single, but thats a debate I have with my management.

I know I am rambling a bit here, but its all good. I am just sitting here in the business lounge with nothing to do and trying to rest my ears. I love you guys and all I ask is that you trust, and understand who I am inside. I am not interested in collaborating with Black Eyes Peas or Lady Ga-Ga. Nor am I interested in having my DJ sets sound like "This Is- Trance Anthems 2010".

Just looked at and analized a latest track list:

Markus Schulz- Nature One 2010

01. Moguai - Oyster (Michael Woods Remix)
    02. Mr.Pit- Sky Traffic
    03. Sied van Riel & Radion 6 - Radiator (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    04. Jochen Miller - Humanoid
    05. Mike Foyle Presents Statica - Headrush
    06. Sander van Doorn - Bastillon
    07. Pobsky - Final Cloud (Markus Schulz Edit)
    08. Hammer & Bennett - Language (Phynn Remix)
    09. Rank 1 & Jochen Miller - The Great Escape (Markus Schulz Edit)
    10. ID
    11. Swedish House Mafia - One (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    12. Dustin Zahn - Stranger To Stability (Len Faki Podium Mix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    13. Mark Junior - Natural (Aaron Camz Remix)
    14. Tomcraft - Loneliness (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    15. Taylor & Close - Cafe Del Mar 2010
    16. Jochen Miller & Dr. Willis - 3 Days Later
    17. Markus Schulz Featuring Justine Suissa - Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix)
    18. Markus Schulz - Do You Dream (Uplifting Vocal Mix)

Only 3 Vocals.

Markus Schulz- Sunrise Festival

01. Meck Featuring Dino - Feels Like a Prayer (Michael Woods Remix)
    02. Mike Foyle Presents Statica - Headrush
    03. Pobsky - Final Cloud (Markus Schulz Edit)
    04. Mr. Pit- Sky Traffic
    05. Jochen Miller - Humanoid
    06. Skytech - Cardboard Box (Ummet Ozcan Remix)
    07. Markus Schulz Featuring Justine Suissa - Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix)
    08. Rex Mundi - Opera of Norhern Ocean (Phynn Remix)
    09. Jochen Miller & Dr. Willis - 3 Days Later
    10. Paul van Dyk Featuring Johnny McDaid - Home (Cosmic Gate Remix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    11. Cosmic Gate - F.A.V. (Arty Remix)
    12. Markus Schulz - 65.4Hz
    13. Lentos - Forget About Us (Barnes & Heatcliff Remix)
    14. Miki Litvak - Pollinator (Gary Beck Remix) vs. ID (Markus Schulz Mashup)
    15. Tomcraft - Loneliness (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    16. Jan Johnston Meets Tenishia - Flesh 2010 (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    17. Scott Mac - Damager 02 (Mac Zimms Remix)
    18. Markus Schulz - Do You Dream (Uplifting Vocal Mix)

5 Vocals

Markus Schulz- Rio Fest (GDJB World Tour Budapest)

01. Markus Schulz - Alpha State (Festival Intro Mix)
    02. Meck Featuring Dino - Feels Like a Prayer (Michael Woods Remix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    03. Who.Is - We.Are
    04. Pobsky - Final Cloud (Markus Schulz Edit)
    05. Hammer & Bennett - Language (Phynn Remix) [Coldharbour 100]
    06. Sander van Doorn - Bastillon
    07. Mr. Pit - Sky Traffic
    08. Markus Schulz - Rain
    09. Markus Schulz Featuring Justine Suissa - Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix)
    10. ID
    11. ID
    12. Velvetine - Safe (Wherever You Are) (Rank 1 Remix)
    13. ID
    14. Gaia - Aisha (Markus Schulz Edit)
    15. Miki Litvak - Pollinator (Gary Beck Remix) vs. ID (Markus Schulz Mashup)
    16. Markus Schulz - What Could Have Been (Club Mix)
    17. Jan Johnston Meets Tenishia - Flesh 2010 (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    18. Mark Knight & Wolfgang Gartner - Conscindo
    19. Swedish House Mafia - One (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    20. Ashley Wallbridge - Smoke
    21. Markus Schulz Featuring Sir Adrian - Away
    22. Gareth Emery - Global (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    23. Faithless - Not Going Home (Armin van Buuren Remix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
    24. Skytech - Cardboard Box (Ummet Ozcan Remix) [Coldharbour 100]

4 Vocals.

Someone please post some TL where I played more vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusSchulz
    I always say, I produce artist albums differently than a mix CD. The artist albums are there to showcase who I am as an artist, and not necessarily as a DJ. When I made the "Do You Dream" artist album which is mostly vocal, that does not mean I play every one of the tracks in all of my DJ sets....

When I program my sets I very rarely play vocals back to back unless they really fit the vibe. My theory of programming comes from the days I played in the gay clubs. I would play 3 or 4 tracks to build into a big anthem. I still try to do this today. Of course we are in the middle of festival season where programming sets are totally different. I guess that is why I love doing the proper 8 hour sets. You can really tell musically what I am about when you hear how I build my sets.

just so you know, I will be a bit candid here, I used to do pop remixes back in the day. It was actually a very dark time for me creatively. I hated it. Not until I moved to Coldharbour Lane and focused on who I wanted to be as an artist did my enthusiasm return. I have no interest in being a pop-star DJ...

.........I love you guys and all I ask is that you trust, and understand who I am inside. I am not interested in collaborating with Black Eyes Peas or Lady Ga-Ga. Nor am I interested in having my DJ sets sound like "This Is- Trance Anthems 2010".

exactly!... I think that young people entering to the world of trance require more tracks with vocals, but are people who do not know your roots... here in my country are people who demand the same style like Guetta, Tiesto, Armin... but they are totally wrong!!

Personally and I think that most of this forum love your work, love the way you take us on a journey in all your sets, and be sure that we are grateful with you...

keep up the good work!

October 30th. 2009 --- San Salvador
    March 31st. 2010 --- Guatemala
    June 17th. 2011 --- Pacha NYC http://youtu.be/PaQKR2FCTr0
    October 31th. 2012 --- Guatemala

hate to always bring Armin Van Buuren into these discussions as he's truly one of the most humble and nice dj's out there, but check out his Sunrise Festival set list.

Armin Van Buuren - Digital Stage
    01. D-Mad & Arty vs. BT feat. Jes - She Gaves Happiness Every Other Way (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
    02. Faithless - Not Going Insomnia (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
    03. ID
    04. Rank 1 & Jochen Miller vs. Yuri Kane - The Right Escape (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
    05. Armin van Buuren feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Not Giving Up For Love
    06. Gaia - Aisha
    07. Alexander Popov - Revolution In You (Strings Mix)
    08. ID
    09. Sophie Sugar vs. Sunlounger feat. Zara - Lost Together (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
    10. Armin van Buuren - Full Focus
    11. Sied van Riel & Radion 6 - Radiator
    12. ID
    13. Daniel Kandi pres. Timmus - Symphonica
    14. Jon O'Bir feat. Fisher - Found A Way (Joint Operation Centre Remix)
    15. ID
    16. Max Graham feat. Ana Criado - Nothing Else Matters (Aly & Fila Remix)
    17. Cerf, Mitiska & Jaren - Beggin' You (ID Mashup)
    18. Max Graham feat Neev Kennedy - Sun In The Winter (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix)
    19. Cirez D vs. Armin van Buuren feat. Sharon den Adel - On Off Love (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
    20. Faithless - Tweak Your Nipple (Tiesto Remix)
    21. W&W - Alpha
    22. ID
    23. Armin van Buuren feat. VanVelzen - Broken Tonight (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix)

11 vocals, and 5 in a row at one time...too lazy to listen to the ID's, some of those may be vocals as well.

Also compare Markus' track with Ana Criado and Armin's track with Ana Criado, big difference. Once is dark and meaningful while the other is more on the pop side.

Lastly, you gotta realize we've been listening to a lot of his festival sets lately, festival sets bring a diff type of sound than a club set. I've had the privilege of seeing four 4.5hr Markus Sets in the past year, he truly shines when he has more time to build into it and go down the rabbit hole.

Markus your livesets are definitely ok.
    But my question actually was: Will your upcoming productions be like the tracks on Do You Dream?
    In other words: Was the style on this album just for once? (with the amount of vocal tracks on the album)

And once again, it's really nice see you around here regularly. I don't know any other professional DJs who do something like this!

The other day you played some underground tracks from Gui Boratto,James Holden etc. In nowdays you plays tracks from the ,,trance world''. Why did you change the style? Loose the Armada fucking commercial world Back to old time please

Carry on!

Re: What Happened

Markus love that you take the time to react....

You are stil in my top 2 dj's!!

I play "Surreal" over and over again, such a big track!!
    Cd 2 of "Las Vegas" is very good set!
    You put Max Graham back on the map...

I still listen to you every day, but there is something.....

I don't know what it is but there is something different in your sound.

Please go back to "The Dark Side" that is why we love you!!

Ciao René
    Your big fan from Holland
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/renecieremans
    Twitter : http://www.twitter.com/renecieremans

Going to:

Markus solo set at Space Ibiza 20-07-2011
    Markus vs Gareth at Space Ibiza 03-08-2011