Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Need more vocal tracks

he should keep his unique sound....
    SCHULZISH TRANCE FTW

Re: Show is going downhill

Quote Originally Posted by DjiXas
    Yeah, I have listened to PVD recently, he was popsy few months ago but back to basics on TE2009.
    I was at TE2009 and PvD was noob as usual so i left and enjoyed jochen miller and after that aly&fila, so just leave this forum with your stupid arguments and find a life for yourselve, annoying noobie :roll:
    Markus Gigs to Visit:
    None.....

Why does there seem to be this riff among Paul van Dyk listeners and Armin van Buuren listeners? I wonder what they think of each other's sound.

As far as pure DJ'ing goes, I don't think there's anyone as talented as Paul van Dyk. If you've been to his live shows, they pack such energy, and he is constantly trying to evolve his sound. His tracks are all edited live, and so layered it's something special. Just based on sheer ability now, he could mix in anything he wanted and make it tie into his set (I mean he sampled Will Smith @ Ultra!). That's something no one else in the industry can do. At least no one that I've seen.

As far as Markus Schulz's radio show going down hill; it's important to understand the approach behind his radio show. It's a promotional tool for his coldharbour sound. He has an agenda, and no crowd to respond to. This mentality is completely different from his live sets, where he constructs his set, and responds to a crowd's energy. Also a 1 hour mix is hardly a reflection of a DJ's abilities, or what to expect in a club.

And as far as trance being infused with vocals, you also have to understand the direction of music as a whole. Dance music will become the new pop. It is the new pop. And dance music is borrowing more and more sounds, and breakdowns from electronic dance music: including trance, progressive, house, progressive house, and any other fancy genre you can come up with. For me, this is why it's important to support DJ's that have the right approach. I don't necessarily care what the specific track they are playing is, I care about the architecture of their set as a whole. Vocals have been in trance, house, and progressive since its inception. Just listen to Kevin Saunderson, who was pioneering house in Detriot in the 80's. Listen to Carl Cox who was doing it in London in the early 90's, and Digweed, etc. Then the trance'ers came around with the likes of Tiesto, Paul van Dyk, Ferry Corsten, Paul Oakenfold, and Armin van Buuren. The vocals were always there. The breakdowns weren't as massive, and the vocals weren't featured quite this much, but the sound has evolved as a whole, and personally I think it's better.

I'm not saying I love all of the attention the vocal tracks are getting lately. Most of it is garbage to me. For example, I can't stand any of Armin van Buuren's original mixes off his "Imagine" album. I don't like "Man on the Run," by Cerf, Mitiska and Jaren. But I absolutely love "Not Enough Time" by Cosmic Gate. So to each their own with their respective vocals.

I think the industry is being affected for sure by all of the pop like vocals. So it's important now to stand behind those DJ's who have their own unique sound, and approach toward the electronic dance music scene as a whole. Those DJ's for me are Paul van Dyk, Markus Schulz, John Digweed, Carl Cox, and Ferry Corsten. Those have been my top 5 in the DJ Mag poll for the past 3 years. Notice the absence of Armin van Buuren or Tiesto. I no doubt understand how influential they are to trance music. I just understand how massive they have become, and it lacks the authentic feel of the aforementioned DJ's, for me. You can make that argument for Paul van Dyk, and I'll respect that as well. But for me, his raw talent, and the diversity he brings to the table is unparalleled.

There are a slew of other small DJ's I support, and follow. That list is honestly too long. Instead I'll do the opposite and list the DJ's who I'm not too fond of at the moment: John O'Callaghan, Andy Duguid, Marcus Schossow, Blake Jarrell, Sander van Doorn, Randy Boyer, and Sied van Riel. I like some productions by those names, but my main gripe is just that they haven't solidified their own sound yet. They're all over the place, and it disorients me when I've seen them live (and I have), or listen to a record.

My last point is how much I can stress attending a live performance before you make a judgement. As much as I am down on Armin van Buuren at the moment, I am still going to his summer show in Brooklyn, NY this summer. Give the DJ's a chance, and know what to look for. Markus even said it in his blog: pay attention to the story the DJ is telling with the tracks, not necessarily the track itself.
    Upoming Shows:
    4/22 Simian Mobile Disco @ Paradise Lounge
    4/24 Tom Middleton @ Rise
    4/25 Giuseppe Ottaviani @ Love
    5/2 Digi Live @ Cask N' Flagon
    5/8 Sander van Doorn @ Pacha
    5/9 Crystal Method @ Webster Hall
    5/15 Deadmau5 @ Webster Hall

Quote Originally Posted by stefan1983
    HI

yeah, the british people are crazy!

Although I don't like PVDs music nowdays, he is still seen no.1 Trance DJ in Germany.
    He is what Tiesto/Armin in NL are.., some kind of Trance pioneer.

Regarding the vocals, I can understand, why Paul thinks so.
    Have a look at the german so called "dance" charts. Tune into some tracks and let us talk again
    Tracks which are played by Armin, Markus a.s.o. are mostly great! There are maybe a few which are not that good, but most of them are!
    PVD lives in Berlin, so he knows the german trance (dance) scene very good.
    That´s the main reason, he thinks that way.... which is beacuse of the shit which is produced here...! Just to say it again, I think so, too!!!

And regarding the MoH, I don't think that this is the reason.
    He mentioned this a lot times during interviews for the last couple of years....which just isn't wrong

Stefan

HI again

Yeah you are right, I had a look into the top dance charts... What I can see is not really a "shit", but is what I consider commercial stuff. Not really heart touching, but still kinda joyful music and it gives you kinda good mood and turns you on a positive thinking.

But hey, I think vocals must not be forgotten. Overvolting myself when listening to minimalistic music or similar, is far from what I want. Like Tiesto, Armin and others, GDJB always gave a positive vibe and much to think, after each GDJB show.

Also, I had great moments with PvD prior 2000's, unforgettable. I can criticise of course, but I don't think I have the right to do so against Such A Massive DJ/producer. It's impossible to satisfy such a big audience, I am definitely sure on that. Logically,the same applies for Tiesto/ArminVB, Markus. I had such a great moments in the past.

All I can say is thank you for your efforts, desires, hard working, patience, understanding, innovation, positive thinking, love, joy, happiness, friendship, cooperation, and much much more precious human qualities, all should be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by UgurDinar
    he should keep his unique sound....
    SCHULZISH TRANCE FTW
    Oh yeah! Absolutely Is A Must hehehe

Btw, sry I keep forgetting to logout the forum sometimes, as my PC never goes off, and plus I am testing stability of My New extreme processor and Mainboard , while listening to GDJB :-)

Ya, I love Markus' track selection.

He throws in a few vocals and that's how it should be.

Dark melodic bass should be the bulk of the sets
    @ Atlanta: 09.18.08, 04.23.09, 07.07.10
    @ Charlotte: 09.25.08, 04.02.09, 11.20.09, 09.24.10
    @ Miami: 03.29.08, 03.23.10, 03.26.10, 03.11.11

Quote Originally Posted by evgeniy
    But hey ! What was the wrong Having vocals or not, the tracks are always amazing
    yeah, of course! All his sets were massive. More vocals tunes it is just a personal preference for me. Moreover, at the last GDJB show, there were five vocal tracks:

Ohmna Featuring Nurlaila - Key of Life (MaRLo Remix)
    Pluton & Turn - Metamorphic Condition
    Ferry Corsten Featuring Maria Nayler - We Belong (Tritonal's Air Up There Remix)
    Ram - Solid Hope
    Rozza - London to Bangkok (Estiva Remix)

It was quiete enough for me .
    progressive trance/house

too much vocal can ruin a set and thats where Armin goes wrong imo, keep it as it is