Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Markus Solo Set on the Terrace at Space 2013 and Coldharbour Night Miami 2013

Whew, what an amazing two nights I had Sunday and Monday for Markus Solo Set on the Terrace at Space and Coldharbour Night.

I've literally been going over these two nights over and over, so much emotion and excitement still fresh in my mind.

I'll start with Markus Solo Set.

I had rushed to downtown Miami across the city since I had gotten caught up with an errand before heading out so I was already behind the clock when I left the house. On the way to Space I was crossing my fingers I wouldn't run into any traffic. Pulled off the highway onto the exit for Space and I found parking immediately in front of the club. Whew!

I walked onto the Terrace at 11:20 ish and Markus was just getting started. The room was nice and spacious, with a nice sized early crowd. I grabbed a beer and proceeded to check things out.

I ran into an old friend Tomas and we chilled on practically the whole night. It was great running into an old friend and hanging out till the end of Markus set. Last year we went to Coldharbour Night, and we met during the filming of Sleepwalkers.

Markus started off very nice mellow, with some truly amazing songs in the beginning that were completely new to me. (They're not IDs, but I had never heard them before). I had asked Tim later and even he wasn't sure about those songs either.

Pretty soon the room grew very crowded, and the vibe started ramping up. After a really good "wake up" first hour, Markus came on the mic and officially kicked off the Unicorn Slayer start of his set. Upon hearing Markus say his hello and having passed the one hour mark, I knew we weren't in Kansas anymore and the club was off to uncharted dance realms.

I tried keeping a TL, but after a while, I just decided to have fun and dance. And when Markus is on, there is no standing still, unless you have no pulse that is LOL.

One my favorites early on was Tucandeo's Grey Goose, upon dancing to that tune, I kinda figured we were in WT recording. From here Markus just slowly built up the atmosphere, with great track after track. I even heard an ID or two or three :P

The vibe on the Terrace was nothing short of electric. Markus delivered and the club responded to each and every beat, this was the start of an unforgettable journey.

Early on Tim Grube came right were I was dancing on the floor and that really was great. It def meant a lot to chat Tim up about some of the IDs Grube & Hovsepian have in the works and my apologies man at the lame attempt to reveal an ID :P It was in good fun I think.

Tim chatted up some of the fans around me and he was back behind the Dj booth while Markus played track after track that just made you move.

Genesis and Deja Vu(another favorite of mine) from Khomha's latest Vapor EP, One Word MSBRR (talk about having a club explode with excitement and joy!), Loops N Tings (this bad ass tune never fails!), Fisherman & Hawkins-Apache (very few times have I seen Space go BALLISTIC WILD, and this was the reaction) I had to tweet the duo because it's one thing to hear it on laptop speakers, but experiencing it live with club that goes nuts, these are moments that I won't forget.

By now we must've been at least into hour 3 into the night and Tim was back around and I asked him if Fisherman & Hawkins have more coming on Coldharbour, of course!!!!! We danced a bit more while Tim chatted up more fans.

Soon after I went to the bar next to the Dj booth and ran into Mr. Pit!!! It was so great seeing Adrian again, we hugged it out like good old friends. And I asked him about any surprises for his set at Coldharbour Night he def has some tricks up his sleeve.

Soon after I went back to floor and caught up with my friend Tomas and stayed in the front and center for a bit. By now I had finished another Heineken so back to the bar it was lol. Navigating my way to the bar was literally just that, it felt like wading through a jungle, however I can always say the crowd at Space is certainly nice in terms of finding a way through.

Back at the bar I saw Khomha, via phone I greeted him and handed him my iPhone. He read my message and he def made me feel like I ran into another friend. I mentioned I love Genesis and Deja Vu was my favorite and congrats on such great songs. At this point greeting the guys and chatting them up a bit, it felt more like I was reuniting with old friends rather than having the fan experience. Unfortunately as is usual for me, I was at loss for words in these moments, but regardless, the guys made me feel welcome. And that's what counts. I also gave cheers to Mike Hovsepian which was really cool too. Good seeing him again. Looks like he's enjoying his time here in Miami since he moved.

I got another beer and Back 2 the Dancefloor it was. Markus dropped Perception Original Mix which I managed to get on video and it was an experience, as I feel words can't describe the moment and vibe while he played.
    It's as if time had slowed down just for a moment during Perception, I actually felt as if everybody on the Terrace was united, all on the same wavelength.

Props Markus, I know I've said it, but you create moments that last a lifetime. Soon after he dropped Stranger to Stability, Techno Corner, Jochen Miller-Brace Yourself (Markus, much thanks for playing this tune, it was like the clock had been turned back 3 years prior when you opened your Homecoming Set with this track). I got videos of all these tracks, however, this may not be the correct order that Markus played, just how I remember it.

From here he dropped The Dark Knight (another favorite, I think there's a pattern here LOL :P) and the club just went nuts again. I tried capturing video but the bouncer wasn't too pleased with me standing on the benches so I only got sixteen seconds split into two brief videos.

From there it was the craziest part I've ever seen or heard Markus play. Just a straight up rabbit hole set, with deeper, dirtier tracks, one after another. Songs I remember from this portion are DNA Extractor, Pollinator, among others. I was literally floored. 3 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!

We weren't doing trance anymore, this is techno straight up! By now my guessitmate puts us around 5 am with HUGE crowd not going anywhere! Gotta love Space for that Markus just kept going and going and going. I knew I was a part of history in the making and this is another great chapter Markus created with Space and the Miami fans.

Here I was dancing alongside Tomas and we both kept looking at each other, the time and the club and it was Surreal. Markus wasn't stopping (HELL YEAH!!!!!!!)
    And neither was the crowd!!!!
    I'll never forget seeing the sunrise and seeing so many people still wanting more, by the look of Markus expression, I could see joy when he and the crowd broke morning here in our hometown.

This just fueled me and I'm sure everyone else still in attendance to keep going, I got a second wind and it was contagious! Soon after I downed two bottles of water to keep it going, and I quote AvB "I'm not Going Home" LOL.

At around 8 am Mr. Pit came down, we danced while Markus was cementing his cred. I saw Markus mouthed another hour and I was thrilled as well as amazed that he had such vigor to keep putting on a show.

After about 40 minutes it was funny when Pit tells me, "Whew, I'm tired!" LMAO!!! I told him Markus is literally a machine, lol.

At 9:05 am Markus shut it down he got a standing ovation that was much deserved! My friend Tomas and I decided to wait until Markus had finished taking pictures and chatting up the remaining crowd for our turn.

Markus asks me "What did I think and literally, I was speechless" a THREE HOUR RABBIT HOLE!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Markus!

I'll say this, and I said it before. Those that complain that Markus has "changed", have no basis for that comment. A Marathon Set will show you the "sound" of Markus Schulz and its why he loves doing extended sets. It might be one thing to read from an interview, but Markus keeps it real and backs up what he says. You really can't make a definitive judgement from a 4 hour set or a festival set because those are specific to that club night, or event.

If Sunday was about Markus laying down a record set, Monday for Coldharbour Night was about the people behind the music.

Monday night I got to Dream nightclub at 9:15 pm and already the vibe was buzzing. The meet n greet was nice and mellow when I got in with people gradually walking in. I grabbed a Heineken and sat down for a minute to get my bearings. Off to the corner I saw Markus, Heather and Sara. I took a few minutes to chat Markus up and immediately the topic was the Solo Set. WOW! I told Markus I was literally sore from the neck on down and he replied with the same, LOL! He really surprised me by revealing he had recorded the WHOLE SET!!!!! My jaw hit the floor! Thank you Markus!!! I hope maybe later down the line we can all relive the night in it's entirety, but that rabbit hole part had me amped as I mentioned to him. I couldn't get to sleep till about noonish from being hyped that morning.

And I have to mention this because this is something I can sincerely appreciate about Markus, he is a straight shooter. He knows what's going with him, his gigs, his fans and his label as well as his forum.

He took time to address a few questions I had.

NWP is going to a helluva show and the vibe is more big room. Those peeps that attend Mansion, you guys are def in for a treat.

From there Mike Hovsepian came by I greeted him too, he couldn't believe I had stayed until the end of Markus set that same morning, let alone still be dancing, LOL. I walked around the second floor for a bit until I ran into fans I met on Sunday night at Space. We became this small group of international friends, Sebastian from Uruguay, Janis Ozolins and Radek, Mike from Australia. We talked music and releases on Coldharbour, about the artists and where've seen play.

From there I chatted up Mr. Pit about his upcoming releases on Coldharbour and introduced some fans to Adrian. It was nice having that familiarity with the guys that this year I did camera duty for the fans. I didn't really take many pictures with them since I feel I know them well enough, so instead I returned the favor to other fans.

A lot of people were waiting for Khomha and boy he was busy! After taking photos and chatting up other fans, we reminisced about last year, and like I said, it was like hanging out with old friends. Robert greeted me with I'll never forget that you were one of my first fans that asked me for an autograph and was always tweeting me on twitter. That was cool, we talked about his latest Vapor EP and which tracks were my favorite, with mine Deja Vu, Dusk Riddles, Vapor and Genesis. But what I like most, is that he releases multiple songs, and each has their own occasion. And he said that it's his goal when he produces his songs. Then I told him I listen to his Coldharbour night set all the time since I have it on my phone.

I also joked that I wouldn't be running up to the Dj booth like I did last year, LMAO! From there the dancefloor was opened up and Tim and Mike opened up with a nice, mellow proggy set. Highlights included CoA Deep Mix, Elevation vs. Grube n Hovsepian remix of Ellie Goulding Lights, Turqouise (Guy J remix), Memory Lane was also played and I love the vibe of that track. Def has a bit more mainstream sound, but also a mature sound to it. I can't wait for the release on Audio Cargo IIRC.

From there the duo built it up nice and by the time their set was over, they had filled up the dance floor and people were moving! Next up was Khomha and his Mind Gamer surprise was a knock out!!!!!!! He completely obliterated Dream, there wasn't a moment I wasn't dancing or raising my hands. His mash ups were quite a surprise. He played Dusk Riddles, Deja Vu, Vapor, I mean, wow! I was jumping!!!!! Go Khomha, go!!!!!!!!! Armin's Gaia Humming the Lights Down was another crazy tune that had everybody going insane!

So glad I got video of his set and pics too. From there I walked around a bit and Arnej had just arrived. One of the guys in the group I was in wanted a pic more camera man duties for me. From there I took more pics from around the club and back to the dance floor it was.

As Khomha was finishing up, Arnej was next to him it was def an awesome sight to have both rocking the club. Arnej started with remix to an one of Tiesto's older tracks (I can't remember the tune even though I used to listen to it all the time, my fault, LOL.)

Arnej just laid waste to Dream, literally, from Apache, to Sometimes They Come Back for More, to Endymion, it was a body moving set!!!! I got a brief video of Arnej's opening track which was just perfect.

From there I walked around a bit more and once again ran into Robert and showed him a message a mutual friend of ours from Colombia, and he replied to him via my FB!!!! Always humble and classy Khomha, that made my night. Then he said his goodbye and that was another great moment, like friends parting ways.

Back to the dance floor while Arnej continued his mission to destroy Dream with his incredible set. Pretty cool when Arnej gave props to Khomha and Markus via the mic. And that Fly to Colors ID Remix that Markus played during the Pioneer Dj Sounds Show, well, Mr. Secerkadic also dropped it, so I guess we all know who the remixer is eh :P

After Arnej's set it was Mr. Pit up to bat, he did not disappoint. Mr. Pit delivers nothing but wicked beats and his mash ups were crazy!!!!! At this point in the night my phone was running low on memory due to pics and videos of Sunday night as well as the the earlier sets, so I was able to get one video of Pit's set and a few photos.

I know he debuted a new ID or two. Same for Khomha, Grube N Hovsepian.

I stayed until mid Kaeno's set was which very fast and energetic.

I went home and I could not sleep again. This year's Coldharbour Night and Markus set felt more personal to me, just seeing Tim, Mike, Robert, Adrian, and chatting up Markus. This time of year is always like to Christmas to me and for good reason.

Kudos for everyone at Coldharbour for setting up this showcase for the artists and giving back to the fans, it really does put a cherry on top of an already amazing line up of music.

Whew! Sorry for the long read, but I wanted to provide these two nights through my eyes and ears.
    Coldharbour Citizen.

I'll be uploading pics and videos little by little as I have the pics on FB and the videos on photobucket. There's also lot of songs I forgot to list during Markus set that I posted in the other thread.
    Coldharbour Citizen.

nice write up man! and yes, markus criticism really bothers me, there is NO dj out there that can do 10 hr sets like its a piece of cake, and just the journey he takes us on, and his techno selection is out of this world. when he plays festival sets for 1.5 hrs or 2hr club gigs, it's obviously going to be a peak time banger set, this isn't year 2000 anymore, music style has changed. when mainstream go to clubs to see a DJ for 2 hrs, they expect mainstream peak time music.

a side rant, sander van doorn, a DJ i used to follow religiously, used to have such good productions and sets, i can't believe how far mainstream he's gone, and he's completely ditched his dusk till doorn extended sets too. that's what you call a victim of mainstream music and just chasing the $$ ,not markus schulz. and avb? his uplifting parts of his sets or ASOT are fun, but D# fat is not trance, i don't know why he can't just admit it's electro and move on. there is no interpretation to trance, lol, it's a genre, you're either it or not.

I'll start with the Space pics and videos first.

Coldharbour Citizen.

Coldharbour Citizen.

This is the last video I got from Sunday night.

And now onto the Coldharbour Night pics and videos.

Tim and Mike's set was just perfect to start off.

After the floor had opened up, I went downstairs and found myself sitting alongside Mr. Pit, Khomha, Sara Galvis, Markus, Heather and Sara Gianetto.

Here is the quick photo I got of Pit, I didn't want to use flash as I wanted to capture the vibe while Grube n Hovsepian played their set.

This was just before people started coming downstairs from the second floor meet n greet.

Tim and Mike playing, the view from my seat.

Then it was Khomha's set, and he was just on fire!!!!

Khomha was just straight up killing it!!!!!

Think he was having fun

Coldharbour Citizen.

Towards the end of Khomha's set Arnej started getting prepped and proceeded to amp up the club!!! It was quite the sight to behold.

And the videos of his set.

From here it was Arnej's set and he delivered and then some! Just the opening song and you knew you were in for a helluva ride!!!!

Coldharbour Citizen.

I didn't get much video or anymore pics of Arnej's set as I was too busy dancing and having fun

Next up was the one and only Mr. Pit!

If you think Mr. Pit's productions are intense, you haven't danced through one of his sets!

Go Senor Pit, gooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Somewhere during Pit's set I managed to snap a pic with Ms. Venom vocalist, Tiffany Jonhston.

This was the only video I got of Mr. Pit behind the decks, blame the low memory on my iphone LOL.

Almost forgot my shot my friend took of Markus and I after his set on Monday morning.

And a memento from Coldharbour Night

And there you have it, both nights recorded and snapped as best as I could. The fun I had and the people I met who share a love for Markus and Coldharbour really made this year stand out for me. I truly hope I can attend more nights like Markus Solo Set and Coldharbour Night.
    Last edited by CarlosSR; 23-03-13 at 05:48 PM.
    Coldharbour Citizen.

Seems I'm having trouble loading up the remaing pics of Mr. Pit so here they are.

Coldharbour Citizen.

Amazing pics Carlos

A True Coldharbour RePresenter