Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Change in Markus' sound..back to the basics?

may be a bit premature to assume this just based off one set, but his DJ mag top 100 2012 set was more melodic and progressive than what we're used to. also, a return to coldharbour remix of nothing without me..i'm beginning to sense that Markus might be going back to his older sound, now i don't expect it to completely change back, but i think we'll hear more melodic stuff. i think this might have to do with the dj polls as well, "let electro and house be electro and house, let trance be trance."

what do you guys think?

01. Jam & Spoon - Stella (Markus Schulz & Ferry Corsten Remix)
    02. Markus Schulz & Elevation - Finish Line
    03. ID
    04. Marcel Woods & W&W - Trigger
    05. ID
    06. Markus Schulz ft. Fiora - Deep in the night
    06. Skytech - Lights Out
    07. Perry O'Neil - Wave Force (ID remix)
    08. ID (Track 14 from GDJB World Tour Toronto Set)
    09. ID
    09. Markus Schulz ft. Ana Diaz - Nothing without me (Markus Schulz Return to Coldharbour mix)
    10. ID
    10. Yura Moonlight - Harrier
    11. Markus Schulz & Ferry Corsten - Loops and Tings
    12. ID
    13. Arnej - The second coming
    14. M.I.K.E. - Any Direction ( M.I.K.E. vs Revero Club edit)
    15. ID
    16. KohMha - The Dark Night
    17. Beat service - Fortuna
    18. Markus Schulz - Digital Madness
    19. Markus Schulz pres. Justine Suissa - Perception (Rafael Frost remix)
    20. Rex Mundi - Streaming Waterfalls
    21. Markus Schulz ft. Seri - Love Rain Down (4Strings remix)
    22. BT vs. Sasha - Remember Magnetic North (Coldharbour 2012 Big Room Reconstruction)
    Last edited by modthispny; 23-10-12 at 06:31 PM.

I've had similar thoughts in my mind when I listened to this set. I can hear the more melodic and more progressive sound, too (which is good!). However, it's only a small change and Markus' typical bigroom sound is still predominating and far away from his old sound. As you said it's too early to say Markus is changing his sound in whatsoever direction. If Markus really decides deliberately to let trance be trance it would be in my opinion the right way. If he keeps poaching too much in the current mainstream EDM genres electro, house and techno he won't be successful neither commercially nor as an artist and he won't be widely respected as an artist. I think he already lost lots of his reputation since the beginning of 2011. I see Markus fate closely connected to progressive trance.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
    If he keeps poaching too much in the current mainstream EDM genres electro, house and techno he won't be successful neither commercially nor as an artist and he won't be widely respected as an artist. I think he already lost lots of his reputation since the beginning of 2011. I see Markus fate closely connected to progressive trance.
    yep, thats why i think he should just do what he does best.

BUT he will lose popularity if he goes this route, end of day, the more mainstream sound did bring him some popularity...and with residencies at Marquee in Las Vegas, etc..it might hurt him.

so i really don't know, tough situation to be in.

3-4 years ago when EDM wasn't mainstream, the 'old' trance sound was perfect..but now it's going to be a tough sell to today's crowd and listeners.

Regardless, I think this will happen to many trance Djs in general, not just Markus.

It'll be the balancing out of the scene. I don't think it will completely go back to the old sound, but it would be a nice fresh change of pace.
    Coldharbour Citizen.

ID 3 has to be khomha. His little buildup sweep sound is in there plus his kick and pace as well

I also think ID 9 is the new Dakota

There is also an ID between Dark night and Any direction

Quote Originally Posted by SKTranceFan View Post
    ID 3 has to be khomha. His little buildup sweep sound is in there plus his kick and pace as well
    yes i agree.

added the ID between dark knight and any direction.

Hey. I would perhaps disagree on this, when it comes to the particular set on the night. Here's my understanding: you have to cater for the audience - we had a DJ Mag annual event. What kind of audience you'd expect? Markus perhaps tried to adapt to that environment, selecting the tracks accordingly. Also remember to whom he was handing over the decks to. It is natural he had to tone down his style, he had to ‘armin’ it a bit, but we could still feel his stamp. We can expect ‘Markus-character’ soaking sets in his residency visits, but not events like this. That's how I interpret it. I liked the set!

I would not put him into the box saying he is changing based on his last set. I think his days passed when he concentrated on a particular group of listeners - I really do not believe he will stop experimenting and heading to his old sets.
    He clearly monitors other players in the scene, but that guy has got a big fat creative vein, and mind and balls of his own. Perhaps Markus will re-evaluate his decisions, perhaps not, but if he does I really doubt it will be based on this poll, or on anyone's opinion for that matter. Someone will always say - 'Oh, Markus is going commercial', 'Oh, he's playing overplayed tracks', or 'Markus is now too cheesy, too melodic'. Having said that - Markus does love his fans. But he has enough pride and self-respect to call himself a musician, an artist (unlike many other players who would like to think they are). Not all sticks on the wall with the older fan base, but in general Markus has a remarkable taste. He puts a lot of thought into what he does, has amazing personality, and this is why I support him.

so much for him changing his style. wtf is this! mashup with Nero-promises.. are you serious