How does a DJ's change in style impact fans' attitude?

Hello fellow Coldhabour citizens,

I think we are all aware of the rapidly changing trance scene. Some like it some don't, but there seems to be a significant amount of negative comments with regards to particular DJs changing their styles or becoming more commercial. I would like to get a feel of some of your sentiments, before I create a detailed questionnaire for my thesis. Yes I am actually doing research on this for my Honours degree in university. Any response or feedback is much appreciated. U can post yr replies here, make it into an open discussion or email me foothegreat@hotmail.com

I must say, the DJs I have in mind that instigated me to start this research are Armin van Buuren & Tiesto. Feel free to use any other DJs u have in mind.

1) Based on yr experience, when one of yr favourite DJs 'changed', did your attitude towards the DJ change? How did it affect the frequency of you listening/buying the releases and mixes of that DJ?

2) U see/hear many negative comments about this DJ, with regards to the change in style. How did u react to them? How did the comments impact your attitude towards the DJ? How did it affect the frequency of you listening/buying the releases and mixes of that DJ?

3) Did the DJ respond in any way to the negative comments? Was the response to your satisfaction? Did their response change your perception/attitude?

4) How would your responses differ for the above 3 questions if it is an international DJ that you have no attachment to, but have heard of some of their tracks and are aware of his/her style?

5) Overall, would you say your loyalty lies with particular DJs or a particular music Style? Does your musical taste change with the DJ or do u move on to other DJs that play your style?

6) In general, would you say that you are one of those people who are always loyal to one or a few brands no matter what, or one who tends to switch between brands?

7) How frequent do u follow electronic dance music forums/social media sites? How long have u been listening to electronic dance music?

Thanks for yr time! Coldharbour forever.
    Go Dark, Go Progressive

http://www.mixcloud.com/foothegreat/

Re: How does a DJ's change in style impact fans' attitude?

1) Of course it did, I realized that DJ would never be the same again. I still keep listening to his tracks to find out if there might some decent tracks out there though. Eventually I switched to Markus Schulz because he was doing kinda the opposite thing.

2) I agreed with them and they've made my attitude towards the DJ even more hateful with their thoughts and rumors.

3) Yes he did a few times and he told the fans that this is who he is and if you don't like then it's your problem, so nothing did change actually.

4) If it was about a DJ I'm not into then I wouldn't care, obviously.

5) Absolutely the style, in my opinion it's about what I like and not the DJ.

6) You mean labels right? Yes there sure are a few that I don't 100% know and just release good music like High Contrast, in that way I can't be very critic.

7) I've been listening to EDM since... well since forever I think. I always loved EDM tracks more than other genres when still listening to mainstream to find out my style. In 2007 I switched to trance in particular when listening to EDM only on the radio and discovered that trance was my thing.

I like reading people's thoughts on divers message boards and social media like Twitter, but I don't want to be involved in conversations about the general trance scene because there are just too many people out there with each a different taste, so that's why I'm only active on this forum.

That is a very recognizable phenomenon and a great subject for your research, so good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by foothegreat
    I must say, the DJs I have in mind that instigated me to start this research are Armin van Buuren & Tiesto. Feel free to use any other DJs u have in mind.
    I have been a vivid Armin follower for many years, seen him live over 50 times all over the world, been listening to ASOT since 2001 and own every cd he ever released. So I think he forms a good subject regarding my answers.

1) Based on yr experience, when one of yr favourite DJs 'changed', did your attitude towards the DJ change? How did it affect the frequency of you listening/buying the releases and mixes of that DJ?

Everything changed. At some point I first stopped going to his live sets. Later I also decided to stop collecting his cd releases. Which was not an easy decision since I own what is probably one of the biggest private collections of Armin cds in the world with over 200 items. Nowadays I rarely even listen to ASOT anymore and when I do I usually tune out within an hour because I can't stand the crap he is playing. I don't buy his new cd releases anymore until they are on sale.

2) U see/hear many negative comments about this DJ, with regards to the change in style. How did u react to them? How did the comments impact your attitude towards the DJ? How did it affect the frequency of you listening/buying the releases and mixes of that DJ?

As a matter of fact I am usually one writing them. I'm always interested in reading other people's comments, but I don't think they influence my listening or buying behavior.

3) Did the DJ respond in any way to the negative comments? Was the response to your satisfaction? Did their response change your perception/attitude?

Not directly. But indirectly he has been mentioning being criticized in about every interview for quite some time. Recently he has become more direct on the subject acknowledging that he has changed his style deliberately and that he has lost old fans because of that and gained lots of new ones. If anything that has increased my image of him as a commercial sell out.

4) How would your responses differ for the above 3 questions if it is an international DJ that you have no attachment to, but have heard of some of their tracks and are aware of his/her style?

It would be exactly the same. I have stopped listening to a lot of DJs in the past years for similar reasons.

5) Overall, would you say your loyalty lies with particular DJs or a particular music Style? Does your musical taste change with the DJ or do u move on to other DJs that play your style?

I usually listen loyally to DJs who's style I like, but when they change their style into something I dislike I move on to others.

6) In general, would you say that you are one of those people who are always loyal to one or a few brands no matter what, or one who tends to switch between brands?

I don't care a bout brands at all. Not in electronics, not in cars, not in clothes, not in anything. I just buy what I like and consider good value.

7) How frequent do u follow electronic dance music forums/social media sites? How long have u been listening to electronic dance music?

I visit various sites and forums daily and have been doing so for many years. I have been actively following dance music for over 30 years.

good replies guys, keep them coming. Thanks
    Go Dark, Go Progressive

http://www.mixcloud.com/foothegreat/

I didn't realize that I was going to type so much, sorry for the length. :? ops:

1) Yes, my attitude was affected. When Tiesto changed styles, I was mortified. Elements of Life was the last album I listened to from him, and even that I wasn't crazy about. However, a positive change would have to be Markus Schulz. He has certainly changed his styles recently, but I still embrace his sound. Unlike Tiesto, he actually listens to his fans and applies their feedback and criticism to his future work. I haven't gotten anything from Tiesto since Elements of Life, although I did go see him live for the first time (and perhaps only time) just recently. Meanwhile, with Markus I am still strongly addicted. I just picked up Thoughts Become Things II, as well as a Dakota T-Shirt, and I rarely buy merchandise simply because it is always overpriced, but I couldn't help myself. While I recognize the controversy over Markus' transformation, he still seems to straddle the fence rather well, giving his listeners and fans the best of both worlds, but regardless of the direction he chooses in the end, I will be satisfied.

2) There are plenty of negative comments out there, and I try to not let them get to me. Since I listened to Tiesto while growing up, I had a fairly solid stance on my allegiance to him as a fan, yet with Markus things were different since I did not really stumble upon him until around 2008, so my foundation isn't as solid as others'. Concerning Tiesto, I agreed with perhaps 90% of the negative comments, so I would say that it didn't really impact my attitude as much as it solidified it, and the same goes for my investing in his music. As for Markus, I'm not really sure, to be honest. I try to hear people out, but a lot of negative comments are just stuff like "This sucks," and not "This sucks, because..." -- so a lot of it simply gets ignored, and does not affect my purchases.

3) Good and important question! I never really got really into following DJs closely until about a little less than a year ago, so while I was all over any music they made, I can't say the same when it came to interviews, blogs, tweets, etc. However, as far as I know, Tiesto has never addressed his haters in any way, other than continuing down the path that he has chosen. Meanwhile, Markus seems to be one of the most fan-devoted DJs out there right now. Just today I found out (from you :P) that he even dedicated a track from his new Dakota album addressing a video that featured him as someone who was a part of where Trance went wrong. While I do highly approve of the track that he had made in response, I'll give you an even better example: the release of the Vocal Mix to Sleepwalkers. He received a LOT of hate mail over that. While I was not thrilled at all with the Vocal Mix, I do find myself shouting "Don't stop till you reach the top," and "put your hands up, put em up, put em up" and having fun with the track whenever I hear it, haha. Still, I believe he handled his dismayed fans very well and he never once seemed to show resentment for his fan's criticism, and that I highly respect him for. For both Tiesto and Markus, their reactions (or lack there of) did not change my attitude towards them, but only enforce my attitude.

4) Well, the hard thing about this question is that I don't care one way or the other how the DJ behaves because I do not particularly follow them. However, my general rule tends to be that my goal is to find good music in general and not limit myself to just Trance, which I think is something that Markus has helped me with a bit as I used to be "Trance or nothing!" during my Above & Beyond fanboy days. So, as long as the DJ is respectful towards his/her fans and makes good music (regardless of genre), I don't mind showing them support.

5) A bit of both, I think. For instance, ATB was one of the first DJs I ever really listened to, and I have been a huge fan of his for just over a decade now, and while I still love his music (especially his Ambient work; it is top notch!), I do not approve of his seemingly excessive use of vocals, and of course once I started mixing I understood what everyone meant when they said the man can't really mix too well...Even though I will still defend him as a person and producer, I believe my taste in music has changed. However, my loyalty is not devoted to an established style, just my own personal style, which has transformed over the past few years, and probably will do so again before too long. While I may move on and listen to other DJs more frequently, I still keep myself in frequent supply of the stuff that I do enjoy from the DJ I have left behind.

6) Record labels mean nothing to me, except for Coldharbour. It is the only label that has one solid release after another. I really wish it wasn't related to Armada, but that hasn't stopped me from digging just about every tune that is released. I suppose another interpretation of 'brand' could be genre, but while I used to strongly cling to Trance, I no longer do. It still reigns supreme as my favorite genre, but I listen to a few different styles, from Ambient to Hardstyle and from Prog House to Psy Trance. Dubstep and Electro are perhaps the only two genres I don't really listen to, yet even Electro is growing on me slowly.

7) I was introduced to Trance by my older brother around 1998, but despite being captivated by the sound after hearing Paul van Dyk and Paul Oakenfold, Trance music was on the back-burner until 2008, since I mostly listened to Heavy Metal. Trance was my guilty pleasure, my secret escape, for many years. However, after going to my first gig and seeing ATB live in 2008, it changed my outlook completely. I was blown away by not only the music, but the atmosphere and harmony I felt from the crowd. The Metal scene is so hostile and egotistical, and while the same could be said about clubbers because I feel the majority of those people are people that come out to be seen and show everyone how cool they are, and not for the music. However, the crowd that night (and pretty much at every gig I've gone to since) seems to be one that is all about having a good time and getting loose, being yourself and not worrying about the judgment of others, and everyone is typically more friendly at these events in general. So, it was that night that had changed my perspective completely, and I have devoted my ears to EDM ever since and have not looked back. Meanwhile, the only EDM forums I really participate on are this one and TranceAddict, but I am all over Facebook, and reluctantly starting to get more involved with Twitter.