Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: My remix of Sinners

i think it's ok because he creates the track from zero without any sample from original track.. if it's not then what about all those ripoffs out there?

I am no lawyer or expert on copyright...But the simple fact that it is called "Sinners (Remix)" means he's working on someone else's original work, which means he does not have the authority to distribute it. I think he can put it up for previewing as long as it isn't downloadable...but like I said, I'm no expert.
    @ Atlanta: 09.18.08, 04.23.09, 07.07.10
    @ Charlotte: 09.25.08, 04.02.09, 11.20.09, 09.24.10
    @ Miami: 03.29.08, 03.23.10, 03.26.10, 03.11.11

and what about 4 example CHris Schweizer's bootleg of Kernkraft 400? It seems 2 be ok, many DJ's have played it and I doubt he has the rights 2 the original track...
    .::FOLLOW ME ON YouTube::.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/andromedamusic2011
    .::FOLLOW ME ON Soundcloud::.
    http://soundcloud.com/andromedamusic
    DARK LIGHT with Andromeda on Electraudio FM every Thursday on 21:00 GMT+1

setrise made a bootleg as well & released it under Setrise - Kernkraft 400 (so he didn't have the rights).. i think you should ask Darren/Markus.

Setrise did have permission.

http://www.discogs.com/Setrise-Kernkraf ... se/2542462

His remake got an official release from a label, so obviously Setrise, Spinnin' Records and Ministry of Sound had some sort of arrangement.

Not sure about Chris Schweizer's bootleg. It did not get an official release, so I am assuming he is not profiting from it. Did he actually post it somewhere and say "here you go, download away!"? Because you can find a lot of unofficial bootlegs that have spread across the web and gotten a lot of spins from other DJs. It does not mean it's legal and/or right. Some DJs make bootlegs for fun and give it to other DJs to play in their radio shows or sets just to increase in their popularity. That way down the road, they might get contacted for real remix duties. Take Tucandeo's bootleg of Punk as an example, a lot of DJs play it, including Markus, but Flashover Recordings obviously does not condone it being put on a website for free download.

Honestly, the easiest way to find out if you can let people download your remix for free is to just ask IP/Tim/Markus or someone else at Coldharbour. They can give you an actual answer to your situation. Going off of other situations from around the internet will just send you in a loop of specific occurrences that may or may not pertain to what you are doing. Copyright law is really tricky after all.

as far as i know markus didn't play punk remix, but he played bromance remix which is mostly the same thing.. but yeah, ask the clhr crew.

Quote Originally Posted by axt
    as far as i know markus didn't play punk remix, but he played bromance remix which is mostly the same thing.. but yeah, ask the clhr crew.
    Bomance (Tucandeo Remix) will be released very very very... very soon.

World Tour Budapest Supporter | GDJB Listener | Coldharbour Recordings Lover

Quote Originally Posted by james
    Not sure about Chris Schweizer's bootleg. It did not get an official release, so I am assuming he is not profiting from it. Did he actually post it somewhere and say "here you go, download away!"?
    Yes, he did. I have a copy of it. He released it for free download on his Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by james
    Some DJs make bootlegs for fun and give it to other DJs to play in their radio shows or sets just to increase in their popularity. That way down the road, they might get contacted for real remix duties.
    I'm not entirely sure, but I honestly think the "Bootleg" vs "Remix" labeling might have something to do with it. I remember Mike Foyle ranting on his Facebook about Laidback Luke bitching at his forum members for uploading Laidback Luke REMIXES when they should have been labeled bootlegs...I don't know if there is anything to that or not though. Like you, I am a copyright expert/lawyer.

Still, it all seems so backwards! Make a remix to make it into the scene. Arrive in the scene and get harassed for sharing your remix with others. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by axt
    i think it's ok because he creates the track from zero without any sample from original track.. if it's not then what about all those ripoffs out there?
    This is what I would like to know!!! If you give the track a different name, does that mean that it's okay? There are so many examples of this, it's ridiculous.

[youtube:3nlwb89y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I[/youtube:3nlwb89y]