PDA

View Full Version : Staying true to your sound

Ericc B
14-12-10, 10:06 PM
Looking back over 2010 I can't help but notice the massive invasion of house music into other genres. So many of the big name trance and prog DJs have been increasingly letting these boring housey tracks into their sets, selling out their style just to appeal to the bigger masses. The same goes for this endless stream of cheesy housey remakes of classics that seemed to be half of all the releases this year.

In the middle of all this mediocreness I have to say that Markus is one of the very few who has kept his feet strongly planted on the (under)ground that he stands for and is one of the few big ones out there who is truly loyal to his musical style and therefore to his fans. Very contrary to others who are massively selling out their older fans just to appeal to the next generation of 14 year olds.

Anyway just thought it was time to mention all that. Markus you deserve a big http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u4/EricBensel/Smilies/thumbup.gif for what you stand for. Please don't ever think that you need to be like Armin or anyone else. Just be yourself, think Dakota and bang on.

Alex
14-12-10, 10:11 PM
True. Fantastic words, Eric.

Thank you, Markus!

buraksbt
14-12-10, 11:21 PM
Actually, i love that included housey tracks in sets. Sometimes Markus makes this in his sets (especially live sets), i think its suits because i like house and minimal and techno too.. I don't listen them specially but i like them and they give a different variety to sets. But it has to be rare, not like Tiesto :) Look at Markus' style in DJ Mag 2009 results: Not your big brother's trance! We all love the old trance sound but the new is bangin our ears too :lol:

james
15-12-10, 12:33 AM
Ya, Markus has let the electro-house / tech-house invade his sets a little, which I think has been nice. Helps him build the set up in the beginning. The only one I've had a problem with is La Roux - In For The Kill.

skyline_house
15-12-10, 01:53 AM
Dakota FTW :) Dont think the new kids can handle those basslines haha

modthispny
15-12-10, 05:10 AM
whatever markus plays is the perfect balance IMO.

he has a bit of everything..

ors9
15-12-10, 03:09 PM
Well Said Ericc B
Its soo true more and more Dj’s are selling out to the masses. I used to be a massive Armin Van buuren fan but as of late I can’t help but lose respect for him for selling out. I was recently at the doctors and while in the waiting room I heard Armin Van Buuren - Not giving up on love…you know a Dj has gone commercial when you hear him in the waiting room at the Doctors office. Markus has really stayed true to his style and his fans. This weekend I’m hooping on a bus to travel from Toronto to Buffalo to see Markus and I really think he is the only DJ I would take a road trip for. Not only has he stayed true to his very unique bagging style but he is the only Dj that brings it every single time. I have been attending Dj events for many years now and Markus is the only Dj that has never had an off night. Me and my Friends Call him the “Pantera” of trance for his Hard bagging baselines.. So my hat goes off to you Mr. Schulz for not selling out and for being hard working and always staying connected to your loyal fans through your blogs and always destroying whatever Venue you are spinning at.
Happy Holidays to everyone
See you Friday Markus :D :D
PS Markus its been 2 months since your last blog.. take an hour sit by the pool, and fill us in on your adventures over the last two months…

Hayley
15-12-10, 03:37 PM
I couldn't have put that better myself :) Agree 100%

NeLzon
15-12-10, 09:05 PM
Well said guys!!!

Pulsed
15-12-10, 11:20 PM
absolutely agreed with you guys!!! Respect for Mr. Schulz for his maner to stay in under ground music scene...

I hope I'll never seen him on MTV or another pop channel!

momix
15-12-10, 11:35 PM
Agree 8-) We Love Markus!!!

modthispny
16-12-10, 04:48 AM
i also agree that markus is the only DJ that i would travel for.

hype
17-12-10, 01:43 AM
In the middle of all this mediocreness I have to say that Markus is one of the very few who has kept his feet strongly planted on the (under)ground that he stands for and is one of the few big ones out there who is truly loyal to his musical style and therefore to his fans. Very contrary to others who are massively selling out their older fans just to appeal to the next generation of 14 year olds.

sorry but wasn't it markus who said....

"I think trance fans are a lot more open minded than house music purists"

kinda contradicts what he says

james
17-12-10, 05:47 AM
Markus has definitely changed his style and incorporated different sounds into his sets. He hasn't full on sold-out by any means though is the point I think.

But you can definitely tell he's added tech-house elements into his sound. Just compare a recent GDJB with a GDJB from 2008...or compare Las Vegas'10 to Miami'05...definitely a shift in style, but at the same time, he hasn't mutilated it like many other DJs in order to appeal to just anyone with speakers.

Pobsky
02-01-11, 01:44 AM
personally, i think the sound of trance music is changing, the stuff i make now is completly diff to stuff i made 2 years ago, i dont mind as long as it sounds good and not cheesey and has at least some sort of uplifting moment :D

steffen76
02-01-11, 02:16 PM
I like so much Markus's style in the year of "Clear blue"...very progressive and deep.
Now he play something more trance clubbin style....I would wish he goes a step right to the underground were he came from.
Therefore I like it what he makes nice bigrooms and mash-up's...
And most important come finaly to a gig in Berlin!!!:)

MissZivile
02-01-11, 09:19 PM
I wanted to agree with you guys too! About Armin in waiting lounges, about trouse, about Markus's style and about La Roux...

We love you, Markus - I can't wait for Prague'11, for Dakota, and for every single one of the GDJBs! Thank you for staying yourself whilst throwing a little of 'foreign' stuff. Have a great year full of creative ideas for sounds!

sjhilllandscapes
03-01-11, 01:23 AM
It was interesting to read in the new years blog Markus state that he was angry with the current state of the trance scene, he then went on to say that he was going to express a lot of these emotions through the upcoming dakota project. Great news, but it raises the issue of why bother with the Dakota alias when that sound and feeling is much more Markus Schulz than a Markus Schulz album. Its as if he has his aliases muddled. Markus Schulz - Dark heart waiting or Dakota - Sinners? Both the lead tracks of his respective albums but we all know which one is the true sound of Markus Schulz, and yet the artist titles say different.

james
03-01-11, 02:11 AM
It was interesting to read in the new years blog Markus state that he was angry with the current state of the trance scene, he then went on to say that he was going to express a lot of these emotions through the upcoming dakota project. Great news, but it raises the issue of why bother with the Dakota alias when that sound and feeling is much more Markus Schulz than a Markus Schulz album. Its as if he has his aliases muddled. Markus Schulz - Dark heart waiting or Dakota - Sinners? Both the lead tracks of his respective albums but we all know which one is the true sound of Markus Schulz, and yet the artist titles say different.

Dunno why you care what name goes in front of the track as long as the track is banging. You like the Dakota songs...so listen to his Dakota stuff and ignore his Markus Schulz stuff.

He's tried explaining it quite a few times how he likes to explore his full range and likes to experiment with other artists (particularly vocalists). So that explains the shift Do You Dream took in comparison to Progression. He still tries to keep that sound with his Dakota alias, and that's really all that should matter -- he still makes those kinds of songs at the end of the day.

CarlosSR
03-01-11, 01:43 PM
Kudos to Markus for delivering epic sets on a weekly basis. This man knows what his listeners enjoy and brings it.

I also love that his show isn't a who's who of the trance industry, Global Dj Broadcast is an outlet for good music with the Schulz edge.

Being right in front of Markus at Space, I felt that he really took you on a musical journey. I only hope have more opportunities to see him live this year.

Finally, he has a very well rounded sound, there is something for everyone to love, compared to the Dakota moniker, which is a specific style of Markus. And an artist like Markus needs to have a distinction between his styles because he is known the world over to reach new fans while still catering to the Coldharbour citizens.

Daydreamer
03-01-11, 01:51 PM
I think Markus did a great job on his new "Markus Schulz" sound (The Drums, Future Cities). It's a style we enjoy + new fans. :)