PDA

View Full Version : What Happened

Rene
08-08-10, 12:56 PM
Hey Markus Fans,

What do you guys think of Markus so far this year?

I think he is loosing a bit of his touch. I listen to Markus a lot (Cd's, Live Sets en GDJB) and i think his lost something. Last year he was playing beter sets, deeper tracks and beter building...
Don't get me wrong, i am a very big Markus fan and he has a lot of credit but i wanted to know what you guys think of it.

Please share......

Daydreamer
08-08-10, 02:05 PM
Good subject.

In my opinion it's been a great year for Markus so far and he has a great chance to end higher on the DJMag poll than last year because of his album and massive livesets.

On the other side, there was a lot of critiscism on his album because of the amount of vocal tracks and the less "darker" feeling as we know Markus. Personally I don't have a real problem with this but I can imagine the real "Markus veterans" do and I actually hope we won't get an album like this anymore.

Let's get back to the real Markus stuff, in that case a higher ending in the DJMag poll would be well deserved. :)

ramballo
08-08-10, 02:26 PM
definately agreein with you guys that Markus has entered more of the vocalish style since release of his latest album.. Can't say I am suprised after 6 Years of listening to this amazing artist with his combination of tech, prog and now vocal..
I hope he goes back to his roots when producing his next album "Dakota" deeper darker tracks... Larger and more of those complex Builds like in New World and Alpha State..

But at end of this year I am really really hoping for him to enter the top 5 in DJ Mag Poll...
When it comes to the DJ Poll,, Seeing/Listening to Markus is such an exiperence.. from all his World Tour and Live sets, he is unreal,,
He has that extraOrdinary skill like Bruce Lee ;) to say in DJing
He is my first pick in my ballot,, if i could i would give him all 5 votes....

MarkusSchulz
08-08-10, 04:28 PM
I have had this conversation often, but since on this message board are the true fans I don't mind discussing it again.

I think perception of my style right now (pardon the pun), is that I am going more vocally. The reality is that the ratio of vocals to instrumentals in my sets are the same, if not even more leaning inst. For example, yesterday at Dance Valley I played no vocals at all until the end of my set when I played Perception, Not The Same, Do you Dream.

I always say, I produce artist albums differently than a mix CD. The artist albums are there to showcase who I am as an artist, and not necessarily as a DJ. When I made the "Do You Dream" artist album which is mostly vocal, that does not mean I play every one of the tracks in all of my DJ sets. If anything that would be the biggest criticism of my sets coming from the newer fans, the fact that I don't play all of the tracks they know on my album in my sets.

When I program my sets I very rarely play vocals back to back unless they really fit the vibe. My theory of programming comes from the days I played in the gay clubs. I would play 3 or 4 tracks to build into a big anthem. I still try to do this today. Of course we are in the middle of festival season where programming sets are totally different. I guess that is why I love doing the proper 8 hour sets. You can really tell musically what I am about when you hear how I build my sets.

just so you know, I will be a bit candid here, I used to do pop remixes back in the day. It was actually a very dark time for me creatively. I hated it. Not until I moved to Coldharbour Lane and focused on who I wanted to be as an artist did my enthusiasm return. I have no interest in being a pop-star DJ. I even warn these other guys that the road they are taking is very dark. Creatively it sucks the soul out of you. Again....I have ZERO interest in going down that road. If you hear a pop style track on my album (Dark Heart Waiting), do not be alarmed. At the end of the day I am having fun in the studio working and did not think that track should have been left off the album. Of course it was not my choice for it to be the first single, but thats a debate I have with my management.

I know I am rambling a bit here, but its all good. I am just sitting here in the business lounge with nothing to do and trying to rest my ears. I love you guys and all I ask is that you trust, and understand who I am inside. I am not interested in collaborating with Black Eyes Peas or Lady Ga-Ga. Nor am I interested in having my DJ sets sound like "This Is- Trance Anthems 2010".

MarkusSchulz
08-08-10, 04:38 PM
Just looked at and analized a latest track list:

Markus Schulz- Nature One 2010

01. Moguai - Oyster (Michael Woods Remix)
02. Mr.Pit- Sky Traffic
03. Sied van Riel & Radion 6 - Radiator (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
04. Jochen Miller - Humanoid
05. Mike Foyle Presents Statica - Headrush
06. Sander van Doorn - Bastillon
07. Pobsky - Final Cloud (Markus Schulz Edit)
08. Hammer & Bennett - Language (Phynn Remix)
09. Rank 1 & Jochen Miller - The Great Escape (Markus Schulz Edit)
10. ID
11. Swedish House Mafia - One (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
12. Dustin Zahn - Stranger To Stability (Len Faki Podium Mix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
13. Mark Junior - Natural (Aaron Camz Remix)
14. Tomcraft - Loneliness (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
15. Taylor & Close - Cafe Del Mar 2010
16. Jochen Miller & Dr. Willis - 3 Days Later
17. Markus Schulz Featuring Justine Suissa - Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix)
18. Markus Schulz - Do You Dream (Uplifting Vocal Mix)

Only 3 Vocals.

Markus Schulz- Sunrise Festival

01. Meck Featuring Dino - Feels Like a Prayer (Michael Woods Remix)
02. Mike Foyle Presents Statica - Headrush
03. Pobsky - Final Cloud (Markus Schulz Edit)
04. Mr. Pit- Sky Traffic
05. Jochen Miller - Humanoid
06. Skytech - Cardboard Box (Ummet Ozcan Remix)
07. Markus Schulz Featuring Justine Suissa - Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix)
08. Rex Mundi - Opera of Norhern Ocean (Phynn Remix)
09. Jochen Miller & Dr. Willis - 3 Days Later
10. Paul van Dyk Featuring Johnny McDaid - Home (Cosmic Gate Remix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
11. Cosmic Gate - F.A.V. (Arty Remix)
12. Markus Schulz - 65.4Hz
13. Lentos - Forget About Us (Barnes & Heatcliff Remix)
14. Miki Litvak - Pollinator (Gary Beck Remix) vs. ID (Markus Schulz Mashup)
15. Tomcraft - Loneliness (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
16. Jan Johnston Meets Tenishia - Flesh 2010 (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
17. Scott Mac - Damager 02 (Mac Zimms Remix)
18. Markus Schulz - Do You Dream (Uplifting Vocal Mix)

5 Vocals

Markus Schulz- Rio Fest (GDJB World Tour Budapest)

01. Markus Schulz - Alpha State (Festival Intro Mix)
02. Meck Featuring Dino - Feels Like a Prayer (Michael Woods Remix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
03. Who.Is - We.Are
04. Pobsky - Final Cloud (Markus Schulz Edit)
05. Hammer & Bennett - Language (Phynn Remix) [Coldharbour 100]
06. Sander van Doorn - Bastillon
07. Mr. Pit - Sky Traffic
08. Markus Schulz - Rain
09. Markus Schulz Featuring Justine Suissa - Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix)
10. ID
11. ID
12. Velvetine - Safe (Wherever You Are) (Rank 1 Remix)
13. ID
14. Gaia - Aisha (Markus Schulz Edit)
15. Miki Litvak - Pollinator (Gary Beck Remix) vs. ID (Markus Schulz Mashup)
16. Markus Schulz - What Could Have Been (Club Mix)
17. Jan Johnston Meets Tenishia - Flesh 2010 (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
18. Mark Knight & Wolfgang Gartner - Conscindo
19. Swedish House Mafia - One (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
20. Ashley Wallbridge - Smoke
21. Markus Schulz Featuring Sir Adrian - Away
22. Gareth Emery - Global (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
23. Faithless - Not Going Home (Armin van Buuren Remix / Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)
24. Skytech - Cardboard Box (Ummet Ozcan Remix) [Coldharbour 100]

4 Vocals.

Someone please post some TL where I played more vocals.

talala
08-08-10, 05:51 PM
I always say, I produce artist albums differently than a mix CD. The artist albums are there to showcase who I am as an artist, and not necessarily as a DJ. When I made the "Do You Dream" artist album which is mostly vocal, that does not mean I play every one of the tracks in all of my DJ sets....

When I program my sets I very rarely play vocals back to back unless they really fit the vibe. My theory of programming comes from the days I played in the gay clubs. I would play 3 or 4 tracks to build into a big anthem. I still try to do this today. Of course we are in the middle of festival season where programming sets are totally different. I guess that is why I love doing the proper 8 hour sets. You can really tell musically what I am about when you hear how I build my sets.

just so you know, I will be a bit candid here, I used to do pop remixes back in the day. It was actually a very dark time for me creatively. I hated it. Not until I moved to Coldharbour Lane and focused on who I wanted to be as an artist did my enthusiasm return. I have no interest in being a pop-star DJ...

.........I love you guys and all I ask is that you trust, and understand who I am inside. I am not interested in collaborating with Black Eyes Peas or Lady Ga-Ga. Nor am I interested in having my DJ sets sound like "This Is- Trance Anthems 2010".

exactly!... I think that young people entering to the world of trance require more tracks with vocals, but are people who do not know your roots... here in my country are people who demand the same style like Guetta, Tiesto, Armin... but they are totally wrong!!

Personally and I think that most of this forum love your work, love the way you take us on a journey in all your sets, and be sure that we are grateful with you...

keep up the good work! ;)

modthispny
08-08-10, 05:55 PM
hate to always bring Armin Van Buuren into these discussions as he's truly one of the most humble and nice dj's out there, but check out his Sunrise Festival set list.

Armin Van Buuren - Digital Stage
01. D-Mad & Arty vs. BT feat. Jes - She Gaves Happiness Every Other Way (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
02. Faithless - Not Going Insomnia (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
03. ID
04. Rank 1 & Jochen Miller vs. Yuri Kane - The Right Escape (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
05. Armin van Buuren feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Not Giving Up For Love
06. Gaia - Aisha
07. Alexander Popov - Revolution In You (Strings Mix)
08. ID
09. Sophie Sugar vs. Sunlounger feat. Zara - Lost Together (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
10. Armin van Buuren - Full Focus
11. Sied van Riel & Radion 6 - Radiator
12. ID
13. Daniel Kandi pres. Timmus - Symphonica
14. Jon O'Bir feat. Fisher - Found A Way (Joint Operation Centre Remix)
15. ID
16. Max Graham feat. Ana Criado - Nothing Else Matters (Aly & Fila Remix)
17. Cerf, Mitiska & Jaren - Beggin' You (ID Mashup)
18. Max Graham feat Neev Kennedy - Sun In The Winter (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix)
19. Cirez D vs. Armin van Buuren feat. Sharon den Adel - On Off Love (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
20. Faithless - Tweak Your Nipple (Tiesto Remix)
21. W&W - Alpha
22. ID
23. Armin van Buuren feat. VanVelzen - Broken Tonight (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix)

11 vocals, and 5 in a row at one time...too lazy to listen to the ID's, some of those may be vocals as well.

Also compare Markus' track with Ana Criado and Armin's track with Ana Criado, big difference. Once is dark and meaningful while the other is more on the pop side.

Lastly, you gotta realize we've been listening to a lot of his festival sets lately, festival sets bring a diff type of sound than a club set. I've had the privilege of seeing four 4.5hr Markus Sets in the past year, he truly shines when he has more time to build into it and go down the rabbit hole.

:)

Daydreamer
08-08-10, 07:31 PM
Markus your livesets are definitely ok. :)
But my question actually was: Will your upcoming productions be like the tracks on Do You Dream?
In other words: Was the style on this album just for once? (with the amount of vocal tracks on the album)

And once again, it's really nice see you around here regularly. :) I don't know any other professional DJs who do something like this!

Wojtus
08-08-10, 08:38 PM
The other day you played some underground tracks from Gui Boratto,James Holden etc. In nowdays you plays tracks from the ,,trance world''. Why did you change the style? Loose the Armada fucking commercial world ;) Back to old time ;) please

Rene
08-08-10, 09:30 PM
Markus love that you take the time to react....

You are stil in my top 2 dj's!!

I play "Surreal" over and over again, such a big track!!
Cd 2 of "Las Vegas" is very good set!
You put Max Graham back on the map...

I still listen to you every day, but there is something.....

I don't know what it is but there is something different in your sound.

Please go back to "The Dark Side" that is why we love you!!

Ciao René
Your big fan from Holland

ollyjeff
09-08-10, 12:01 AM
Markus you need to relax. i saw u at global gathering in england and u have got something no other dj there had... ur personality and set sets you apart from the rest. Keep up the good work...ps mr pit - sky traffic tuuuunnnneeee!

Sheedy
09-08-10, 12:51 AM
If anything, you are too modest Markus in the sense that it is pretty much gaurenteed most DJ's will end their sets on the same classic tracks which got them big, whereas in the many times I've seen you perform, you dont bring out the classic Markus vocal anthems anywhere nere as predictably or frequently. That is commendable.

ImpactPlayaz
09-08-10, 12:53 AM
Firstly, fair play to you guys for your honesty, and also credit to Markus for taking some time out of his day, and having the willingness to respond.

I'll break my opinion into different sections, to address the various criticisms that have been cited so far.

Liveet Programming:
I'm going to present you the tracklist of a liveset Markus did literally just over 7 years ago. This highlights two things - he played a lot more vocals, and he played a lot trancier than people normally expected him to back then!

Markus Schulz Live From Quench in Miami, Florida - August 2nd 2003
01. Piece Process - Solar Myth
02. Afrika Bambataa - Planet Rock (Markus Schulz Reconstruction)
03. Atention Deficit - What
04. Andain - Beautiful Things (Gabriel & Dresden Unplugged Mix)
05. Dave Gahan - Dirty Sticky Cool (Markus Schulz Reconstruction)
06. Fictivision vs. C-Quence - Symbols (Mesh Remix)
07. Mesh - Purple Haze
08. Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes (Gabriel & Dresden Sweeping Strings Mix)
09. Duncan Sheik - On a High (Gabriel & Dresden Love From Humboldt Remix)
10. Push - Journey of Life
11. Aalto - Rush (Super8 vs. Orkidea Remix)
12. ID
13. Solid Globe - North Pole
14. Weekend Players - Into The Sun (Riva Remix)
15. Nalin & Kane - Beachball (Gabriel & Dresden South Beach Vacation Mix)
16. Rank 1 - Breathing (Breaks Mix / Markus Schulz Reconstruction)

What is also important to remember is the difference between preparing a liveset for a club and for a festival is immense.

If you're playing at a festival, you're hyberboled into a short set. You're playing with all the other top names in the business, who may play quite a few tracks that you also play (think Stranger to Stability which Markus has had in his livesets since October last year, then Armin comes along 6 months later and plays it, and now Gareth Emery feels the need to do the same throughout the summer).

Also, there are tracks which work beautifully in clubs (and indeed on the radio), but just don't work at festivals - because you're playing outdoor and a lot of the intricicies get lost as a result. So the Markus Schulz festival set has to be faster and with more tension, because he simply doesn't have time to build things up. If you start off slow, you kill the energy and people walk away from the stage.

If you have been lucky to see Markus play an extended set (lasting at least 5 hours), then you know how deep he starts, and builds it up throughout the night. He's still doing the same thing in this regard as he was 7 years ago - the James Holdens and Ozgur Cans of back then are the Gai Barones and Moonbeams of now. Listen to the solo set from Amnesia last summer as proof - he started off playing deep house in his first hour at 126bpm.

Old Markus vs. New Markus
I have been listening to Markus and GDJB every week since late 2003, and have been able to watch his sound grow and evolve over time. You have to remember, he went from being a weekly resident in Miami to gradually touring overseas reguarly (often as a supporting act for more established names), to becoming part of big arena and festival lineups (Transmission, Trance Energy), and now stands as one of the leading headliners in the business.

But in order for that to happen, his sound and his livesets had to evolve. If you're booked to play at Trance Energy, you can't just show up and play deep and progessive type stuff - you need tracks with more tension, tougher basslines and bigger riffs, and occasionally, that vocal which everyone can identify with.

From my viewpoint the one thing that has been maintained in Markus' productions from years back to now is that the melodies always stand out and stick with me. The supporting cast might make things seem a little different but the strength of the melody has always been there.

And the fact remains, if Markus finds something that moves him musically and emotionally, he'll play it, regardless of what labels people attach to him as a DJ. I firmly believe he would be playing the original of Opera of Northern Ocean for instance on GDJB every week in 2003 if it was made back then.

As for which Markus I prefer - I prefer the Markus that plays at a bit of a pace and has the driving basslines with the big melodies. Vocals on any trance track are an acquired taste, but far more often than not, Markus gets the vocals right.

The Albums
I can only speak personally and say that out of the three Markus Schulz albums, Do You Dream is my favourite. There isn't a single track on there that I don't enjoy, and I couldn't say the same about Without You Near and Progression.

For me there are still plenty of dark tracks on there - Alpha State, Away, Surreal, Goodbye, even Lightwave or What Could Have Been. Not The Same is in a similar style to Once Again and Travelling Light from WYN, you have happier moments with Dark Heart Waiting and Lifted, and then you have your big room stompers like The New World, DYD, 65.4Hz and Rain.

Just to give you some stats - Without You Near had 9 vocal tracks out of 13, and Progression had 7 out of 13. So the Markus Schulz albums have always been vocal driven, and that for me is not necessarily a bad thing. The idea of an artist album is to explore who you are as an artist - writing songs, thinking about song structure with vocals that tell a story, working with vocalists and songwriters, and occassionally, other producers. I like the fact that I can put in the DYD CD, press play and be taken on a really enticing journey from start to finish. It's designed to be a one-to-one listening experience, not necessarily 100% for the clubs.

The Thoughts Become Things album on the other hand was completely different. In fact, you could go as far as saying that it wasn't really an album at all - it was more of a collection of individual, cool tracks that were completely designed for the clubs and nothing else.

Overall I think Markus gets the balance right, and I think the time spent in working under the Dakota moniker and making Thoughts Become Things gave him a great springboard to create an album in Do You Dream that I honestly believe will have a very long shelf life. And I believe that the tracks from the album have greatly enhanced his livesets in 2010.

So in summary, people can say Markus has faults and he can't please everyone, but I think that on the whole, he ticks a lot of the right boxes for all of us. Compare that to all of the other top DJs, where I could pick some seriously huge and gaping holes in their performances this year, but I'm too nice to do that. :)

I could go on and on, but you're all probably bored to death by reading all of that! :P

MissZivile
09-08-10, 01:15 AM
I have not known Markus's before April (to my great loss), but have now all of his albums, and in general have been catching up quite rapidly, so I feel I deserve to involve in the discussion also. Good topic, BTW.

Firstly, we truly got the most amazing DJ. I was astounded how he writes his blogs, with what care to details he pictures his touring, it's almost like we are travelling with him, the kind of personality sticks out of them, how much effort there is in everything he does, how much dedication,.... seriously guys - Markus cares so much.... Do you think he would betray his old clan, all of his fans deviating from who he is? Would Markus want to disappoint us?... Do not put him into the small little trance box (we have other DJs for taht who apply the same bouncy beat over every track) - lets give him space! He's got so much talent!...

Having heard first Amsterdam, Dakota,...then listened to Do You Dream. As much as I would prefer the older style tunes (who does not like to hit the alpha state?...:) ), the DYD album grew on me almost instantaneously, although being different. And I can understand reasoning behind it why it is different.

DYD is a bloody-good album even if Markus did aim a couple of tracks as vocals! You compare Tiesto's vocal works with Markus's for example.... Pardon Tiesto fans, DJ Tiesto does have cracking works, I take my hat for him, but his sound no longer cuts the mustard for me.

Markus's recent album's vocals are wrapped up by his still Schulzy tunes (in my view anyway), the melodies intertwine with voices so well, we can still well hear Markus's sound. Not throughout, but in places the vocal tunes do also complement the music serving as an instrumental sound. It was for this reason that the DYD album grew on me fast. And even though other fans may occasionally be right winging about vocals put in tracks, the album is not only about the vocals - almost every track sounds so different, Lightwave with more frequency, Alpha state with no beats, etc etc etc..... Come on you guys! It is for this experiment that we should give Markus a credit and not question his fidelity to his sound!
I massively love Markus, and although can't make it for his solo set 10th August, I will melt how much I want to see and hear him in flesh in MOS August 27th, and then Ibiza August 31st!... at least for those 3 hour sets.

Markus,
When would you be releasing your schedule for the remaining of the year? I want to plan my time properly to make sure I get into all other of your 7 hour solo sets.

Love,
Zivile

MissZivile
09-08-10, 01:23 AM
From my viewpoint the one thing that has been maintained in Markus' productions from years back to now is that the melodies always stand out and stick with me. The supporting cast might make things seem a little different but the strength of the melody has always been there.

As for which Markus I prefer - I prefer the Markus that plays at a bit of a pace and has the driving basslines with the big melodies. Vocals on any trance track are an acquired taste, but far more often than not, Markus gets the vocals right.

I can only speak personally and say that out of the three Markus Schulz albums, Do You Dream is my favourite. There isn't a single track on there that I don't enjoy,

Practically, what I was also trying to say typing probably at the same time as you did ....Spot-on.

james
09-08-10, 02:56 AM
Back when I first started listening to Markus in like 2004, he was more of a guilty pleasure listen. I like his new style more. Back in the day, the deep, progressive tracks were great to chill too, but they weren't necessarily making the car bang, and I'm not sure how I would have liked that sound in the club per se. I wish I could have seen him live 6-7 years ago, I would have a better base to compare to rather than just radio sets.

I personally think Markus plays just about a perfect ratio of non-vocal to vocal. In a 30 song set, give or take, Markus will play about 7-8 vocal tracks. That's a great ratio in my opinion. I personally like the occasional vocal, and Markus does a great job of mixing the occasional vocal in. It flows amazing with the set, it's usually a vocal everyone can sing along too and get a breather from the ridiculous tech bangers he was playing leading up to it.

I'm kind of getting annoyed with all of this vocal bashing on artist albums to be honest. Even with Armin's albums. You guys do realize most of the songs will be released as singles with dub versions, right? I'll admit, I didn't like seeing 11 vocal songs on Do You Dream?, but it seems like we'll get a dub version in just about every single. And I agree with ImpactPlayaz, Do You Dream? is the best album so far in my opinion. After giving every song multiple listens, I can say I love every song except Unsaid. Maybe if I hear it in the club I'll change my mind on that one too. Also, Markus did release an album last year with ZERO vocals. Don't forget that!

BTW ImpactPlayaz, there's no "u" in favorite! :)

Rene
09-08-10, 10:01 AM
So Markus,

Share youre set from tomorow at Amnesia whit youre biggest fans....

Pleaseeeeeee

MrE
09-08-10, 01:24 PM
When people complained about the album being full of vocal tracks, a lot seemed to completely forget about the Dakota album, which was all dark proggy tracks. I said this in the album thread at the time, but having that alias up & running again frees Markus up to experiment a bit more & show what he can do as a producer.

Had the Dakota album not been released, i'd imagine Do You Dream would have ended up sounding a lot more like Progression with a mixture of the 2 styles.

I really can't understand any complaints about livesets having too many vocals though!

Serious Danger
09-08-10, 07:13 PM
Markus hasnt lost anything! If anything the man is climbing and getting more fans in the process of it. Look I've been a huge fan of Markus for a very long time. Pre-Coldharbour days peeps. I'm from the oldskool, I come from the Edgefactor days and the great times at the Works in AZ. To me Markus has always had a great style. He has always found a great balance between the real proggy/epic stuff and the uplifting melodic trance. To me he still has that to this day and that's why I still support and listen to his music. Of course I love the dark proggy stuff he plays, but man the feeling I get when he drops a beautiful vocal track is like no other. Im not gonna lie, at first when I heard the DYD album I thought it kinda sounded pop. But, after listening to it and letting the entire album play, I knew he nailed it. The only track in question on DYD is "Unsaid," but other than that the album is great! I've been listening to Markus this long and the man has never let me down , so I truly believe we need to listen when he says, "TRUST ME!"

Markus I have one request for you. Do me a favor and play the track by, Slacker - Psychout, on GDJB one of these days. Take me back for a moment, please! ;-)

amberella06
09-08-10, 07:23 PM
Markus hasnt lost anything! If anything the man is climbing and getting more fans in the process of it.

+1

In my eyes, this is a fantastic year for Markus. I can def. tell he's working hard. The album is great, GDJB is always spot on, and his shows are some of the best I've attended----he is one DJ I love traveling to see because I know it will be worth my while.

I gave him my top spot in the top 100, deservedly so---this is YOUR year, Markus.

joshryan
09-08-10, 10:45 PM
I think as such huge fans we tend to be overly critical. I completely agree with most of the people that Markus in fact made the Dakota album after all, and people complain about the vocal productions? On Do You Dream, yeah there were a lot of vocals but they were in no way pop-ish and Markus' tracklists from shows are proof that he doesn't overload his sets with vocals. He makes the anthems.
That's not to say everyone doesn't have a right to complain because that's what forums are for, to voice our opinions but imo Markus hasn't lost anything.
Listen I mean we all have those special moments with different tracks and artists that are special to us at certain points in our lives.
Saying things like "oh this or that artists will never be as good as the good old days" while I feel sometimes warranted, can be such a narrow view to take as we all go through our own introspective musical journeys.
Even as trance and the Coldharbour sound has evolved over the years, I think it's too easy for people to say that the classics were the best and everything after will never be better, of course the won't to some people, that's when some of us could have just discovered trance or edm back in the day, when everything was fresh and magical. of course nothing after will feel the same...
but that doesn't mean it can't still be great and meaningful music to everyone else....

CarlosSR
10-08-10, 05:32 AM
As a somewhat new listener to GDJB, I can tell you all of Markus' episodes are amazing. I do not find a boring spot in any of the weekly shows.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Markus perform twice, and both times he delivered a truly great performance.

His city compilations are works of art in sound. Toronto and and Ibiza being my two favorites, followed by Vegas 10.
His Best of World Tour 2009 keeps spinning in my car and at work, even in my phone.

Progression was great and DYD is my new favorite artist album, bar none. I listen to it all the time.

So as a new somewhat new listener, Markus, to me, is at the top of his game.
I know for a fact that anything with Markus Schulz and/or the Coldharbour name on it is quality.

The way I see it, there's Armin for more commercial/uplifting crowds, and Markus for those of us who prefer our taste in trance.

Long story short, Markus has yet to put out anything subpar. And I trust his judgement with his productions.

And BTW, congrats again on Perception.

Ericc B
10-08-10, 08:45 PM
Though I tend to agree with a lot of the stuff that has already been said there are a few things that I might have a different opinion about too.

First and foremost Markus is and has been one of my favorite DJ's for a long long time and I sincerely hope it will stay that way. I don't visit this forum that often but rarely a day goes by without at least one of his sets, shows or tunes hitting my ears. Whenever possible to see him live I am there. GDJB is one of the few radio shows that I always play more than once. Except maybe when it's a World Tour recording with some dillweed constantly and obnoxiously shouting through the music at 100dB. Seriously, what's up with that? Please dim the mikes Markus ;)

Anyway things I might not agree on would for example be DYD being a great album. I'm one of the critics. I don't like the fact that there are 16 album edits crammed into one disk, I think the video clips are seriously bad, I really only like half of the tracks and I really dislike the other half. And it's not so much the amount of vocal tracks, I can dig a good vocal track like any other, but the quality of them. Seriously: Dark heart waiting, Unsaid, Lifted, Not the same (to name a few) they all gave me shivers, but not exactly positive ones. Now I will take Markus' word for it that this is what he wants to do and express and I respect that. But personally I think they are awful. Now let's not beat around the bush, there is pressure from both Armada and management to put out these high amounts of vocal tracks because they stick much easier to the general public and more popularity with the general public means more sales and more and bigger gigs, aka more money for the people who benefit from selling the music and booking the gigs. We all know who they are. Having said that, it's also very clear that unlike guys like Armin and Gareth Markus is actually one of the few who firmly stands his ground in the DJ booth and sticks to his underground style. And I thoroughly respect him for that, in fact the reason I came out here tonight is that I was feeling blue about not being able to be at Amnesia tonight and watch him kill it once again.

In a way I feel with what the topic opener tried to bring across the table. In the past year more than ever before Markus has been under the pressure of having to be popular because his record company and management want nothing more than to turn him into another Armin. Money money money. Blegh. For people who follow the scene closely it's tempting to put one and one together and draw conclusions. Actually it's what I am doing myself. Whether I am right or not might be a different manner, but it's the way I see things.

This is also why I find it heartbreaking to read in Markus' blog that he considers his annual standing in the DJ Mag top 100 as his report card from the fans. Dude, PLEASE DON'T! The DJ Mag list is the biggest farce in the industry and means absolutely nothing in terms of how your fans think of you.

While I'm writing this I'm relistening to last weeks GDJB World Tour recording. It's simply awesome. And it's exactly why I love this guy. Despite a few hit and miss tracks on an artist album, he's also the guy that gave us the Dakota album and Progression (which I personally love from the very first to the very last bit). He's they guy that outdoes all the others in the DJ booth. Although please lose the childish heart signs, they are not only very unoriginal (Armin already stole them from Ferry) but also extremely gay (no offense to gay people btw). And on top of all he's the guy that involves his fans more actively in his walks of DJ life than any other. And for all that Markus, I salute you.

paolino
10-08-10, 09:26 PM
I'm an avid listener of the Global DJ Broadcast and I truly love Markus Schulz as he is NOT A sell-out like Tiesto ( whom I used to like before I found Mr Marvelous Schulz)

I don't really understand what is the problem with vocal tunes, and as many people have correctly pointed out, Markus always gets the right quality and amount of vocals in his sets.

Now, with regards to his artists albums, yes, there are mostly vocal tunes in them, and I think the great majority of those vocal tunes are not what Guetta, Tiesto or the like would produce. They are meaningful, they become instant anthems by themselves and by the masterful way Markus inserts them in his World Tour live sets!!!!

Markus keeps surpassing himself each day. I have been closely following him during the last 3 years and I have even got at least a couple of friends of mine to adore, worship his style ( sort of like setting up an altar to a markus schulz picture lol. Yes, I love his style that much!).

On another topic, I felt disappointed ( at firs, I even deleted it from my iPod, re-added it two days later :0 ) with the latest world tour broadcast ( Budapest) . I was really looking forward to it as the previous set in Budapest was undoubtedly one of the best last year. So, I listened to it again and I was in an pure blisss.. I don't know if it's just me, but each set by markus sounds even better the second, third and so on ... time that you listen to it as you're able to better pick up the intricacies, subtleties of it. Now I believe that this year's World Tour Recording at Budapest is probably the best this year ( with Moscow and London following closely).

FINALLY, Thank you Markus Schulz for even bothering to check the forums and take the time to discuss topics about your awesomeness!!

PS: Markus can you please play this tune: Scott bond vs solarstone - naked angel

Thanks.

Rene
10-08-10, 09:52 PM
Eric, you know what i mean!

2007, 2008 & 2009 Markus played much beter sets than 2010.

It started in januari in my opinion!

The best thing of 2010 was "Las Vegas" cd 2, and i love "Surreal"

But as a good fan, i wont stop listening to Markus!

Go Markus go!!!

Have a blast at Amnesia tonight.....

We love you, thats why we are here on the forums....

james
10-08-10, 10:20 PM
You have to take into consideration what songs are being produced...sounds like to me you just liked what producers were producing last year and in 2008 more than what they are now. Markus plays the songs he likes and he hopes his fans will like that are current and up-to-date...for the most part.

I like the songs from Markus' sets in 2008 the most (hence why he catapulted to #1 in a flash in 2008 imo)...but it's not like he can just go out there and grab the 2010 version of 6am or the 2010 version of Biscayne or the 2010 version of Shana or the 2010 version of Formentera What...those songs just don't exist...

I mean...what songs would you like to see him playing and what songs do you not like that he plays that would get him back to his 2008 style? I personally don't think it's his fault...he has to roll with the industry and play what's being produced...

Daydreamer
10-08-10, 11:18 PM
This topic is actually getting a bit excessive... it's about Markus' livesets and everyone is telling what they think of Markus' productions and his artist albums (including me)...

NOTHING is wrong with Markus' livesets! Actually they're amazing and the best ones I've ever heard.
He picks his tracks very wisely. If you compare the played tracks by Markus to Armin you'll notice a lot of differences. (yes including instrumental tracks)

And if you think that his sets got weaker since 2008 then it's definitely not Markus' fault.
We can always count and trust on Markus' decisions about picking tracks.

Just like jimaeus said. :)

Rene
10-08-10, 11:47 PM
End of this topic!

We all wont stop listening, i'm very sure!!!

Markus forever!!!!

Rene
11-08-10, 11:03 AM
Markus,

i heard 45 min live of your set on Amnesia radio!
Sounded great!!

PLEASE SHARE YOUR 7 HOUR SET WHIT US......

Help me guys, mayby he willllllll........

ImpactPlayaz
11-08-10, 12:02 PM
I think if you read Markus' latest tweet, you might get some pleasant news. :)

Rene
11-08-10, 12:05 PM
Big news!!!

He's gonna share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ramballo
11-08-10, 12:31 PM
THANK YOU Markus for recording the entire set..
All your fans want to hear this explosive night :)
7 hours solo in the best club around the world
I bow to the man from miami 8-)

amberella06
11-08-10, 12:32 PM
I think if you read Markus' latest tweet, you might get some pleasant news. :)

Yayuh!

MontrealFan
11-08-10, 02:23 PM
Thx alot Markus! :D

IJnte
11-08-10, 04:11 PM
I cannot wait for it :D :D

I really like the pure Markus Schulz sound. That the decided to use more vocal tracks in his sets is no big deal for me. I think it's adding just that extra bit of tension in his set, and let’s face it: A lot of people like vocal tracks, because they can relate there self to it.

So Markus, just keep doing what you are doing!

P.S.: Lucky that you didn't slip into the mud @dancevalley! It was a really wet, but very nice set that you played last Saturday! I witnessed a true Markus Schulz live set 8-)

OneWay
12-08-10, 07:01 PM
guyz...I'm addicted to GDJB, and I also love Markus's new album Do you dream? If you listen to the others albums signed by him, you will find that he didn't changed at all. I think that the sounds evolved and we have to accept that. As for his sets, when I tune in for GDJB, the sound hypnotise me, I stay in front of my pc and just listen to the music and watching at the pixels :P I'm a Markus Schulz fan since 2005, and the first track I heard from him was Peaches&Cream and then First Time. He is really inspiring <3<3<3

so...in the end...MARKUS SCHULZ RUULLZZZZZZZ

^^ ^^ ^^

\o/\o/\o/

I didn't had the ocasion to see Markus live, I've always dreamed of going to one of his gigs, and this september my dreams come true :X:X:X GLOBAL DJ BROADCAST WORLD TOUR BUCHAREST <3<3<3<3<3<3

p.s. Markus if you read this, please take some time after your set in Bucharest to sign some cds :D and maybe take a photo with us :D that'll be amazing

I wish you all all the best!!!

Rick Valentine
12-08-10, 11:38 PM
I don't really have much to say on this because i think Impactplayaz has pretty much hit the nail on the head with what he said.
He's right about how he actually used to play more vocal tracks back in the day than he does today, and about the artist albums being more based on vocal tracks.
As an artist you can express more in vocal tracks how ever i think it was great for Markus to bring back an album through his Dakota alias it shows us he is still up for making his more club like/underground releases without vocals.
I do admit i like to hear his productions that don't have much or any vocals in like all his Dakota tracks and tracks like New World etc.
Since listening to Markus from around 2002, yes his productions have got more trancey but im 100% sure Markus will not forget about the more progressive productions from back then like "Clear Blue" and his amazing Coldharbour Remix's he did like Airwave - Lady Blue, the really deep dark productions because this is what got me into the more progressive scene as at the time i was into all the uplifting trance, tech trance and hardhouse genres.
That was from the days when Markus wasn't as well known as he is now, and today he reaches a wider audience not just from the majority who listen to progressive but also to those who listen to uplifting trance, tech trance.
So Markus is trying to cater for as many people as he wants within his comfort and from what he likes.
Even though im not really into the techy stuff that's played at alot at the big outdoor events for instance the "Ummet Ozcan or W&W" style which tends to creep into his sets the odd time, i still find that his sets just blow me away and ive never had that with any other dj for such a long period over the years.
Im sure its hard because of Markus's immense gig schedule but i would love to see the more deeper progressive stuff come back and maybe bring back Coldharbour Red for such releases.
It seems now days Markus is pushed to produce BIG ANTHEMS from Armada i might be wrong, however i do miss alot of the progressive from the 2002-5 years.
Music evolves and goes around in cycles but now days you can do more with it than you could have ever done, and im sure as Markus continues to bring the wait for it "Deep Dark Bassline Borderline Trance" then ill be happy and i think most of you should.

Too many people are worried about Markus sounding alot like Armin, this wont happen, i think Markus will continue to wow us for the rest of his career and i have faith and trust in him !!!!

MissZivile
13-08-10, 12:17 AM
you perhaps missed Markus's response to this thread....

It seems now days Markus is pushed to produce BIG ANTHEMS from Armada i might be wrong. !!!!

To quote Markus himself earlier this week:
'I love you guys [ZK: and we love you back, Markus] and all I ask is that you trust, and understand who I am inside. I am not interested in collaborating with Black Eyes Peas or Lady Ga-Ga. Nor am I interested in having my DJ sets sound like "This Is- Trance Anthems 2010" '

james
13-08-10, 01:13 AM

It seems now days Markus is pushed to produce BIG ANTHEMS from Armada i might be wrong. !!!!

'I love you guys [ZK: and we love you back, Markus] and all I ask is that you trust, and understand who I am inside. I am not interested in collaborating with Black Eyes Peas or Lady Ga-Ga. Nor am I interested in having my DJ sets sound like "This Is- Trance Anthems 2010" '

Rick is saying he thinks Markus is getting pressure from his management/Armada to produce more commercial, more big anthem kind of music. I think we all know Markus just wants to express himself as an artist, and as an artist, Markus doesn't have that in him. But he does have people to answer to...I think? Not sure how it works completely.

Ericc B
13-08-10, 08:32 AM
Rick is saying he thinks Markus is getting pressure from his management/Armada to produce more commercial, more big anthem kind of music. I think we all know Markus just wants to express himself as an artist, and as an artist, Markus doesn't have that in him. But he does have people to answer to...I think? Not sure how it works completely.

You just nailed it. That is exactly how it works.

Rene
13-08-10, 03:07 PM
Last hour of GDJB, is sooooooo good!!

That's the Schulz sound i fell in love whit.....

Deep, baselinedriven.....

Insane!!

Rick Valentine
13-08-10, 04:40 PM

Yes this :)

trance4life_7
13-08-10, 06:52 PM
i think markus schulz is the best thing since sliced bread!!!!

the dj iv seen most has been gareth emery and i can tell you that over the years iv liked him but iv heard him playing his remix of silence and lethal indusrty from 2 years ago and every set i have from him just sounds the same i could script his setlist. i also have this problem with armin, and dash berlin but the point im making is that every one of markus schulz live sets he varies and that what i love about the guy and thats why he gets my vote for no.1 his style,producing,live sets have all ticked the boxes for me and i had the pleasure of seeing him the other week and man he just rocked it. thanks man

Ericc B
14-08-10, 07:01 PM
but iv heard him playing his remix of silence and lethal indusrty from 2 years ago and every set i have from him just sounds the same i could script his setlist. i also have this problem with armin
QFT

modthispny
15-08-10, 03:13 AM
ferry corsten also plays A LOT of old songs. i just heard his set from ibiza and i swear it sounded like a best of ferry mix.

out of the big trance heavy weights, markus without a doubt plays the most up to date sets...

Rene
15-08-10, 11:06 AM

the dj iv seen most has been gareth emery and i can tell you that over the years iv liked him but iv heard him playing his remix of silence and lethal indusrty from 2 years ago and every set i have from him just sounds the same i could script his setlist. i also have this problem with armin, and dash berlin but the point im making is that every one of markus schulz live sets he varies and that what i love about the guy and thats why he gets my vote for no.1 his style,producing,live sets have all ticked the boxes for me and i had the pleasure of seeing him the other week and man he just rocked it. thanks man

Did you forget "Nothing at All" ?

ImpactPlayaz
15-08-10, 01:05 PM

Just an FYI, Markus hasn't played any version of Nothing at All (Original, Remix or Mashup) since the World Tour Recording in Sao Paulo at the end of January.

Rene
15-08-10, 04:09 PM

Just an FYI, Markus hasn't played any version of Nothing at All (Original, Remix or Mashup) since the World Tour Recording in Sao Paulo at the end of January.

True, but he played it for 1,5 year... Nice track btw.....

james
17-08-10, 07:20 AM
I don't think he played Nothing At All that long...he played it for about a year...and it was his unofficial track of the year, songs like those are a bit different in my opinion. Formentera What is my all time favorite song...I've been playing it in all my little mixes for 3 years now. My friends have acknowledged it as my signature track. :)

I think people who listen to a specific DJ religiously can't complain about track selection getting stale/old. Not everyone at a gig Markus is performing at listened to the latest GDJB World Tour. So why should they be punished and not get to hear a song that is huge at the moment just because Markus played it a couple of times on his radio show? If you are going to listen to all of Markus' broadcasted sets, you really need to appreciate his track selection. Because updating the tracks you're playing is a delicate matter. What you played in Montreal might still be fresh and different to everyone in Sydney 3 months later, those who don't listen to trance religiously anyways.

I've always debated whether or not to skip the preceding GDJB World Tour Episodes (and other live broadcasts) when Markus is coming to my area. I ultimately decided I love the music so much it doesn't matter if I know all of the tunes going in. In fact, I like knowing all the tunes, that way I can go play them the next day and relive the party. Because my opinion changes a lot on songs after hearing them live. Markus plays a lot of songs that are unreleased though...makes it hard for me to compile a proper playlist to relive the party. :(

Have any of you ever debated about that? The whether or not to listen to Markus' latest live broadcasts when he's about to play in your area dilemma.

jdub889
26-08-10, 02:44 AM

Do you mean on GDJB or in his live sets? I think I remember him giving an encore of Nothing At All when he played the Avalon Hollywood in March (edit: May, excuse me).

(First post! Now where to... hmm.)

kio
26-08-10, 03:55 PM
Markus' live sets (unfortunately I've only seen him twice) that I've been to or listened on GDJB are always full of surprises. You can't really predict a TL because he doesn't play the same tracks every single set. Obviously he'll play his hits because the crowd wants to hear them and there will be people seeing/listening for the first time.

All things evolve, if he were to be playing the exact same thing over and over at every set, you would probably get bored. You can still hear that dark signature sound on Markus' new album. Yeah there's a bit more vocal tracks but he doesn't play each and every one at his live sets. He plays what the crowd wants to hear and will enjoy.

Denshin-Dimension
26-08-10, 05:32 PM
To be honest, I dont mind the vocals.
Vocals are usually the minority and it's always good to break the sequence of the instrumentals: hearing some vocals is refreshing. But when it's ALL THE TIME a la Armin, it gets tiring.

Also, as far as vocals go, GIRLS LOVE VOCALS. And let's be honest, if you're at a show/club, chances are there will be TONS of females. And you want them to have fun, dance and enjoy the show. You want them to STAY ON THE DANCEFLOOR at all times, and playing vocals will help with this.

Regardless of what anybody tells me, if you're a real human being (which I doubt all of us are lol), and you're at a show... besides the music and having fun, the other factor for having a great night is: BEAUTIFUL WOMEN. And this is where being a dj that knows how to read the crowd comes into play.

Enter: Markus Schulz.

Markus is a real dj. So if the show or crowd calls for some vocals, i'm sure he'll see this and capitalize on it. And honestly, I dont have a problem with this.

Also, vocals on albums = sales! Nothing wrong with that either since it attracts the masses.

In conclusion, I love the sound of Markus. I've seen him every time he's been in Colorado, even the after party at Global Dance Festival last year where there were only like 100 people around 3 am and Markus played an epic set.

Vocals or no vocals, it's quality music, regardless.
So shut up and dance.

modthispny
26-08-10, 06:00 PM
he did encore with nothing at all at avalon at but that's after a 4.5hr set..and it was an encore so..no issues with that.

amberella06
26-08-10, 07:02 PM
I attend quite a few EDM parties and to be honest there are less females at trance parties than almost any other genre...I don't mind though. =P

MissZivile
26-08-10, 09:16 PM
Also, as far as vocals go, GIRLS LOVE VOCALS.
Vocals or no vocals, it's quality music, regardless.
So shut up and dance.

I could not resist not commenting on the above! :)
Man...I agree with pretty much all you say but - please - do not generalize that girls love vocals.... Interesting - is this why most clubs play rubbish music?... You get fed up standing by the bar with cocktail wiggling your assets and waiting for a good tune ...

Vocals or no vocals, it has nothing to do with us staying or not staying on the floor ...;) we do love good music too :)
(But if god-forbid our make up runs, then even the nicest tune will hardly keep girls on the dance floor)

And I hope other DJs know that!!!

jdub889
29-08-10, 11:54 PM
he did encore with nothing at all at avalon at but that's after a 4.5hr set..and it was an encore so..no issues with that.

No problems at all! I was stoked that he played it. :)