PDA

View Full Version : sankeys 16Jul!!!

momix
30-06-10, 08:49 PM
So who is going? :D I might go...... to get 3h fix of Markus 8-)

Havana
04-07-10, 10:10 AM
I might go, undecided yet. Is anyone else attending? Markus and Emery both doing 3 hours :D

Anyone know if you can pay on the door at Sankeys?

Havana
12-07-10, 11:41 AM
This friday folks, I'm quite excited :D Anyone else going?

jonesy89
12-07-10, 05:30 PM
i will be attending its impossible to say no to a 3 hr markus set, sankeys is also a dark and intimate venue which definately suits markus' style. Its a ticket only event and last time i checked there was only around 50 tickets left, tickets are for sale at skiddle.com and also on the sankeys website. 4 more sleeps and its the big night!!! :)

Havana
16-07-10, 11:05 AM
I messaged Adam Flexer the other day and he said, you can pay on the door if you're there early enough :)

Markus spinning 11-2. I'll try to keep a tracklist and post on here tomorrow ;)

Havana
19-07-10, 11:04 AM
What a hot and sweaty night!! Markus pumped it hard right from the start. The club was absolutely packed to the rafters for this incredible 3 hour set. Didn't manage to keep a tracklist for the whole set but a few tracks that I remember were:

Markus Schulz feat Ana Criado - Surreal
Faithless - Not Going Home (Armin Van Buuren Remix / Markus Schulz Reconstruction)
Pobsky - Final Cloud
Nic Chagall, Rank 1 & Wippenberg - 100
Markus Schulz feat Khaz - Dark Heart Waiting (Remix) - Jochen Miller I think?
Markus Schulz feat Sir Adrian - Away
Markus Schulz feat Justine Suissa - Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix)
Dustin Zahn - Stranger To Stability (Len Faki Podium Remix / Markus Schulz Reconstruction)
Armin Van Buuren - Full Focus (I think?)
Above & Beyond feat Zoe Johnston - No One On Earth (Gabriel & Dresden Remix / Markus Schulz Reconstruction)
Jochen Miller - Humanoid
Artento Divini - Who's Next (I think?)
Sander Van Doorn - Bastillon
Markus Schulz - 65.4 Hz
Markus Schulz feat Jennifer Rene - Not The Same
Rex Mundi - Opera Of Northern Ocean (Phynn Remix)
Paul Van Dyk feat Johnny McDaid - Home (Cosmic Gate Remix / Markus Schulz Reconstruction)
Tomcraft - Loneliness (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)

Think that's about all I can remember (I'm sure more will come flooding back to me :lol: ), I reckon there was a few new records in there, maybe some Coldharbour 100 tracks. Just one more record that was without doubt the track of the night for me. Mike Foyle pres Statica - Headrush!! Sounded absolutely incredible live :shock: So thanks Markus for playing that, and making it such a superb night ;)

Pobsky
19-07-10, 07:21 PM
hey peeps, i was there on friday night too and it was one of the best and most unreal nights for me, cheers havana thats so cool you did a tracklist and remebered my track being played considering its not even out yet ;o)

check the vid i filmed if yah like, its a bit dark at first but when the bass kicks back in and the strobes come on you can see the amazing atmosphere

cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgOnKGbbI3U

jonesy89
20-07-10, 11:44 AM
What a set Markus played, he made Gareth Emery look like a school boy.
Here are a few Videos from the night:

ID Track 08 from ASOT 450 Wroclaw Set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRvkX8uSlbY

Stoneface & Terminal- Dont Give A Fuck (Vocal Mix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsJoYyB2CI

Scott Mac- Damager 02 (Mac Zimms Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0blaQLB-zwI

Above & Beyond- No One On Earth (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_dBB-3Lsg

Cheers!!

TouchingVirus
20-07-10, 01:25 PM
Right, time for a little review ;)

Sankeys
Firstly, the club. I give it a 5/10 or maybe a 6/10 if I was going to stretch it. In my opinion there is no reason whatsoever that this club deserves the #1 spot in the DJ Mag Top 100 clubs poll. I do know that this year was the first year that it was clubbers who voted for their Top 100 Clubs like they've been voting for the Top 100 DJs for years. I have no idea how it was decided before this year, but the clubs voting is clearly flawed if Sankeys made it to #1.

The sound system isn't too bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to Tripod in Dublin, or Ministry of Sound, London. I loved the low ceiling, but it really limits the lighting that can be installed - all that was there were low-light LED rectangles, a strobe light two green lasers. Now the lasers were cool, but weren't used enough just like the MOS lasers, same for the strobe :(

The club is fairly dark, but not the worst club I've been in for light. It looks much darker on my vids because my camera has very poor low-light performance. The DJ booth is small and while it has got a screen for visuals the screen is curved, so the only way you will see all of it is if you're standing front & centre in the dancefloor. It's very cool that you can get up to the front of the booth with no problem and take some pictures like I did, the MOS booth is too high up for that. I do have to compliment the airconditioning system out on the dancefloor - it's so awesome that if you were standing still you would actually get cold. The smoke-extraction system was cool too, but they did overuse the smoke like MOS does :|

The main room is also pretty small, I'd say it's max capacity is around 500-600 people but I wouldn't take that as a negative because it was a more intimate atmosphere :) ImpactPlayaz was there so I managed to get a VIP pass which was very cool of Markus & him to sort me out with but even that had little issues. Basically the VIP area was a roped off section of the regular club with three booths for seating that was between two rooms, the house(?) room where the bar was, and the main room (it was off to the right of the main DJ booth). It's awkwardly placed because that is the shortest route to the bar, so I lost track of how many people jumped the rope and tried to get to the bar without having to crowdsurf through the clubbers to go the long way :| But the two big issues about it were that there was no quiet area, nowhere for Markus to hang out after his set to chat with a few fans (including me :mrgreen:) and that because it was open on both sides, during the breaks in the tracks when everybody was whooping it up, clapping etc, I could hear the bassline and stuff from the other DJ in the other room :shock:

Sankeys is ideally located near Picadilly Train Station and is within walking distance to it, so for £3.20 each way from the Airport to Picadilly and a 10 minute slow walk you'll be at the club :) It is worth a visit if you're going to Manchester so don't let my gripes sway your decision, I was looking at it from the point of view of it being the "DJ Mag #1 club in the world"

Gareth Emery
I'll do Gareth Emery's review before Markus because I want to get the negatives out of the way :P I don't mean to hate on Gareth Emery, ImpactPlayaz will tell you that I loved his warm-up set at the Gallery back in April 2009. While he was never a fan of Emery or the hype surrounding him, I always thought Gareth was a very decent DJ and producer. I'm going to have to revise that opinion after Sankeys. Markus' set probably finished around 132-133BPM, and within 20 minutes (of a 3 hour set) he had reached 138-140 and proceeded to bang the sh*t out of it, for two solid hours at least. I thought I was listening to Simon Patterson/Menno de Jong at 5am in MOS :P

There were some awful jumps in his set as he moved to a very different key, the kind that make your head think "Woah, something's not right here". He didn't traincrash the mixing, but the flow was awful, truly awful. And the people of Manchester lapped it up like dogs, they loved it! I suppose Manchester is his home but I couldn't understand this. ~138-140bpm is my upper limit but I can't take too much of it and after 2hrs 40mins I just couldn't take any more and I left a little early for the flight home. I felt sorry for Ben Gold (an absolute gent by the way, came right up and talked to me outta the blue as did his manager, cool guys for sure), who had to follow Gareth with a 2 hour set. I really wish I could have stuck around to see how it went for him, but the clubbers were tiring and there were many people leaving at the time I left at. I had to laugh when I read Emery's twitter and it said he played some new music, I didn't hear any new music but I did hear two versions of Sanctuary, and two versions of another track that eludes me, On a Metropolis Day and all the other stuff he's been playing for ages ;) So overall I was not impressed with Emery, great as a warmup DJ, but as the main DJ on the night he was very poor.

Markus Schulz
And now we get to it, the saving grace of the night *sticks on Fanboy hat* - what a set! I saw Markus at the solo set in June, less than a month ago, and he threw down the best set I have ever heard. It was simply amazing and was the catalyst for me booking this trip - if he was that good then, imagine in a month you get to hear a similar set in the #1 club *books flights*. Well, not quite. The club, as I said above, had it's problems. But there was another problem....In the space of 4 weeks Markus had completely altered his set :o He was playing 11pm-2am and Emery was on after but even so, amazing! I completely agree with jonesy89, it made Emery look like a schoolboy. You know it's going to be a really good set when the first track of the night is the floor-killing track Surreal :P Other tracks played on the night were:

Markus Schulz Featuring Ana Criado - Surreal (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Gai Barone - The Moth (Ticon Remix)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Sied van Riel & Radion 6 - Radiator (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Mike Foyle Presents Statica - Headrush[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Markus Schulz Featuring Sir Adrian - Away[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Who.Is - We.Are[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Pobsky - Final Cloud (Markus Schulz Edit)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Markus Schulz feat. Justine Suissa - Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Rex Mundi - Opera of Northern Ocean (Phynn Remix)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Jochen Miller & Dr. Willis - 3 Days Later[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Markus Schulz Featuring Khaz - Dark Heart Waiting (Paul Trainer Remix)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Scott Mac - Damager 02 (Mac Zimms Remix)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Swedish House Mafia - One (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Stoneface & Terminal - Don't Give a F**k (Vocal Mix)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Dustin Zahn - Stranger To Stability (Len Faki Podium Mix) [Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction][/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Mark Junior - Natural (Aaron Camz Remix)[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Paul van Dyk feat. Johnny McDaid - Home (Cosmic Gate Remix) [Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction][/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Jochen Miller - Humanoid[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Tomcraft - Loneliness [Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction][/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Above & Beyond - No One on Earth (Gabriel & Dresden Remix) [Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction][/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Jan Johnston meets Tenishia - Flesh 2010[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Markus Schulz - What Could Have Been[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]
Markus Schulz Featuring Jennifer Rene - Not The Same[/*:m:2rrrxqg5]

There were a few more tracks played but I'm under orders to keep the videos to myself for now like I was for the Perception (Super8 & Tab Remix) video from MOS. As soon as they're world premiered I'll post them though :lol: Highlights of the night were those secret tracks, Surreal, Headrush and most definitely Flesh 2010

Major thanks to ImpactPlayaz who took my camera into the booth for Flesh 2010 while I went out and went crazy to it after missing it at MOS last month - what a tune for the club, wow :shock: After the set Markus met the fans, got his picture taken with them and returned to the safety of his hotel room, I'll bet he's glad now after that review of Emery's set :lol:

maria111
20-07-10, 03:45 PM
thaaaank you so much for the review mate really and i was thinking about this part - i even tweet that to Rob anout Sankeys and how much jealous i was :lol:

Not much to say for maarkys we know the deal ;) supriced about the club hope you didnt dissapointed that much eh and kinda supriced for Emery too because i saw him one week before over here and he totally amazed us over here :shock: I guess maybe because Armin sucked 3 hours and he prepaire our selfs for Emery which was :mrgreen:

Anyway glad you had fun.. waiting for those videos 8-)

Havana
20-07-10, 04:29 PM
I also remember him playing a track that was a hell of a lot like Arnej - They Always Come Back. Anyone any ideas on what that one was?

Pobsky
20-07-10, 11:50 PM
markus schulz blog about sankeys, i got a mention :o) im well chuffed

Sankeys, Manchester - Friday July 16th

An overnight flight to Manchester, England via New York and I was absolutely exhausted with tiredness and sickness. So it was straight to bed for a long sleep. I thought to myself though before drifting off that hopefully, by the time the gig at Sankeys was over, that I would be feeling better. The best way to get the cold out of your system is actually to be in the club performing, and work up a good sweat in the process.

Turned over in bed and looked at the clock in my hotel room; and it said 7:30pm! Time to get my day started, as terrible as it sounds at that time! First mission was to find some coffee to give myself a boost, and thankfully found a Starbucks at the train station across the street from the hotel. A bite to eat and a couple of hours preparing, and I was out the door to Sankeys.

This was a night I had been looking forward to playing for a while. The club itself is iconic, back to the days when people like Daft Punk and The Chemical Brothers were performing there. And recently, it has become the home of the now local Gareth Emery’s Garuda nights. So I was looking forward to sampling the atmosphere and playing in a club and city I had never experienced in playing before, and also to catch up with my tour buddy from Australia, even though we’ll be seeing a heck of a lot of each other between now and September!

Showtime and I was on the decks for a 3 hour set beginning at 11pm. There weren’t too many people in the club when I started, but those that were there definitely made themselves heard! I started off with a new version of Surreal I had been experimenting with in the studio before I left Miami, and the crowd singing along really made me feel very welcome right away.

I have to give a shoutout to producer Pobsky, whose track “Final Cloud” I debuted on Global DJ Broadcast last week. It really caught my attention when going through the promos, and believe it or not, I had made a little edit of it in the hotel before going to the club. Just before I was starting, he came up to the booth and introduced himself to me, and thanked me for playing his track on the show. So about 45 minutes into the set, when the dancefloor began to get packed and people were going crazy and fighting through the dry ice, I decided to drop Final Cloud, and it got a huge reaction, one of the biggest of the entire night!

It was so hot in that booth during the set. In a way I didn’t mind so much because gradually it was taking the cold out of my system, but it was tough keeping hydrated up there. About halfway through though one of the staff could be heard behind me shouting, “we need to turn the fan on in here!” Thanks for letting me know guys, haha! But my highlight of the whole night was meeting some very cool small people who came out to support. They had people on the dancefloor lifting them up to shake my hand in the booth, and everyone was cheering them on. It was awesome! So when I finished my set, I wanted to meet up with them and promised them a picture, so that they would appear in the blog.

All Sankeys photos are courtesy of Danny Fallon

As the clock struck 2am, it was time to pass the baton onto the hometown boy. We embraced and shared a fun moment when transitioning from one set to the other. I wished him well and then went out of the booth to meet the fans in the bar. The tiredness was starting to catch up with me though, so I stayed for a little bit to support Gareth and then called it a night shortly after. Didn’t get too much sleep however, because the cold was still fighting against me; but a big shoutout to the Sankeys and Manchester faithful for making me feel so welcome in your city.

Sheedy
27-07-10, 01:25 AM
I also remember him playing a track that was a hell of a lot like Arnej - They Always Come Back. Anyone any ideas on what that one was?
One of my friends who was there claims to have seen the CD in Markus's hand and saw it was a Barnes & Heatcliff mix. Not sure how true it is but apparantly the bassline was similar to a Barnes & Heatcliff production. Possible coldharbour 100 tune?