PDA

View Full Version : Markus Schulz DJ Mag top 100...

modthispny
07-07-09, 07:41 AM
do you guys think Markus will ever make it to the #1 spot? I think he will get down to 4 or 5 this year...

It's pretty tough when the #1 DJ is Armin Van Buuren, they both are very similar yet different at the same time. Armin's productions are much more radio friendly whereas Markus' are much darker and progressive..I certainly hope Markus becomes #1 one day, I will definitely be following him until that day.

Markus is definitely my favorite live DJ though, AVB is good, but Markus has a better feel for the crowd IMO.

Rob
07-07-09, 07:11 PM
To be honest, i hope he will never become #1 DJ, cause then u will get a lot of commercial crap like armin and tiesto have made over the years, I prefer this sound, in my opinion he is #1 DJ for me, so that won't change, and am quite sure that allmost all of the forum members see him as #1 DJ but offcourse for markus i would be great to be crowned #1 in a couple of years, but for me it's not necessary ;)

ramballo
07-07-09, 10:47 PM
+1 to that ^^
I just say if he is crowned #1 in a couple of years,, Markus take it on a different approach... do something that hasn't been done in the EDM history...
TransSend the industry for better 8-)

I think you forum members get my drift

aakos
09-07-09, 03:03 PM
To be honest, i hope he will never become #1 DJ, cause then u will get a lot of commercial crap like armin and tiesto...

+1, true! Markus is Markus, i don't care the DJ Mag 100. :roll:
We know he's the Master! and that's all! 8-)

hellosam
09-07-09, 05:26 PM
I think its imperative to remember- especially as a fan that this poll is for DJ not productions. I get very fustrated when people forget that- Armin is a fabulous DJ. He caters to not only his own likes but to a huge audience that loves what a lot of people call crap. But the bottom line is- thats his DJ and this is the DJ poll.

Now, for me, Markus is my number 1 DJ and Producer- so yes i vote for him each year- as well as monthly on the DJlist.com- go do it too!! ;) ;)

As far as Markus becoming #1 in DJ Mag, its a tough one because as you said he can be a bit darker and is really a tough match with armin as he does throw in some commercial as well as his own productions,ect. The bottom line, imo, though is that commercial will always win bc there are just plain more people out there that love commercial. You have people who dont even truly love trance the way most of us here do- but they love armin and his shows and will vote. I give you a chance to show me someone who barely knows trance that knows who Markus is over Armin.

is this bad? NO!! I love that!!! It means Markus is his own man and that his style is truly what i love. He doesnt have to be #1 in everyone elses eyes for me to love him. He could be 1588 and I would still feel as strongly about his shows and music.

I actually think his position atm is perfection. Too many people bitch about the top 5 and call everyones bluff and forget that it #1 was THEIR favorite DJ theyd have to defend him/her as well. Id rather spend my time listening to Markus then having to defend him- though i do! hahahah (insert 'fan girl' phrase that i get every gosh darn thursday!! hahaha)

Also....GDJB is not, imo, a fabulous judge on markus' DJ skills/shows. His productions (sans Dakota) are a very bad view into his live sets! I can not tell you how many times Ive had to DRAG kicking and screaming friends to their first markus show because "prgression is just not my cup of tea" BUT THAT IS NOT MARKUS SCHULZ as a DJ!! I have (and pride myself on) turned many many of my friends from thinking markus is 'meh' to markus being their FAVORITE DJ because they FINALLY saw a show and was like "ong thats not what i was expecting at all!! can i have an inhaler???"

And THAT is what the DJ Mag list is all about. Not his productions or even his GDJB because his shows are where he truly pours so much heart and where he REALLY DJs and what that poll is SUPPOSED to embody. Tho, sadly....not everyone remembers that and a lot of the votes go to people because "OMG In and Out of Love was my ALL TIME favorite song last year!!" DUH!! thats not what we are voting on people!!

/rant

Rob
10-07-09, 09:41 PM
@sam that's why i think the worldtour sets are the gdjb hours of the month, in the other broadcasts he is trying some new stuff and push new upcoming tracks, but in the worldtours it's really the markus sound, that's why i love it so much, and am really looking forward to worldtour netherlands(amsterdam i suppose) later this year, will definitely gonna be there :D

Actually quite funny looking back 2 years for me, when trance started for me, my first party markus was in the line up (asot 300 netherlands) and i knew nothing about trance, a friend invited me to see if i would like it so i did, from the first beat till the last one i had an amazing time, i missed a lot of markus his set cause we were eating at that moment, and in the beginning i really loved aly&fila+menno de jong, but like 4 months later i discovered markus his sound and since then i went to all his gigs in the netherlands, and every gig was brilliant in his own way (same for cosmic gate!) cause it's just my kind of trance sound, and am looking forward to upcoming gigs in the future!:D

Hayley
11-07-09, 01:47 PM
Agree with all of you ;)

As much as I would love to see Markus @ #1, at the same time I would be crapping myself, because of all those reasons pointed out above ^^

I'd hate it if Markus ended up like Armin and I would hate it even more if he ended up like Mr Ego (Tiesto) that!... IMO would ruin him, his gigs would never be the same again.

Markus, just keep on doing what your doing :D Please, please don't ever change!

Globalgirl
17-07-09, 02:35 AM
Trust me......Markus will never change. He's taken a long time to get where he is and is very happy with the way he plays, although he isn't always happy with each and every set.

As far as the poll itself, Markus looks it like an annual report. Your stock either rises or falls and that is the final judgement on how he did for the year as people from all over the world are voting there. So in Markus' eyes, if he goes up he had a good year. He entertained people and they are giving him a positive response. If he goes down, then he had a bad year and people did not enjoy his sets and his music.

I understand how all of you feel. I mean you wouldn't be a memeber of this forum if you didn't like what he does. I appreciate it.

Still, get out the votes! I wouldn't mind going up a spot or two or five! :D

hellosam
17-07-09, 04:51 PM
My only concern with that is that doing bad is not really a direct reflection on markus' sets. As even some of the forum members here have noted- they think about productions too. But this is a DJ POLL. Not productions. And, a lot of people who DONT like his productions would REALLY LOVE his sets. And they vote- but they have NO IDEA that they could be or should be voting for Markus. Its bittersweet, imo, bc a rise is good- but you dont know truly WHY, but a fall isnt necissarily bad. Unless its a ton of spots- then its like- hmmm whatd i do wrong?

If in 2008 people DIDNT hear Progression- Markus would have gotten a lot more votes.

Not because this was a BAD album...But because the style is NOT that of his sets and now-a-days Ive found that the masses are more for the style of his sets not the mellow stuff like progression was (mostly, imo).

Granted I do think this year will be a BIT different ;) with dakota and all these other great events and productions he has. BUT again, its a DJ poll not a DJ/Producer Poll- but youll NEVER be able to really narrow that down to just DJ as people have a very hard time doing so.

But I guess now that Ive typed all this out and thought it out what you are saying is maybe the same thing...just as a whole he is taking it as stock- if he drops then he needs to find out- Was it my sets? Was it my remixes? Was it my album? ect ect

I just wish the DJ poll and the audience truly voted on the right thing and I wish that more people got to SEE markus live because it is NOT what most people expect- BY FAR!

ImpactPlayaz
03-08-09, 11:54 AM
Hi guys,

Just decided to bump this thread rather than start a new one. :)

This morning (comes a step too soon), this year's DJ Mag Top 100 Poll opened for voting, so please show your support for Markus this year.

You can vote by going to http://www.djmag.com/top100djs, and leaving your submissions for your top 5 DJs this year.

My personal take on the poll is this.

I think the poll is a good barometer of where a DJ's popularity currently stands. Regardless of what people think about the poll, it has changed the industry completely, because it acts as the best resource for a promoter when judging which DJ will pull in numbers for big club nights and festivals.

So if you think that the poll is a waste of time and your vote won't count, please reconsider. We all know here on this forum how hard Markus has worked over the past few years especially, and is on the verge of something very special.

All of us are sharing that same dream of there being a Markus Schulz solo type of event. Well, in order to do that, promoters have to see that Markus is a big enough name to stage an event like this, so they will put their money into their pockets and make it an unmissable moment. And of course, they judge this through the polls.

In conclusion, all I ask is to do what you can. Introduce your friends to Markus and show them his sets like the GDJB World Tour or Coldharbour Day. Bring them here and allow our community to be built. And ultimately, hope that Markus gets the success and recognition he deserves.

Gia
03-08-09, 03:50 PM
voted already :) Markus # 1 of course :)
ps. I checked some polish forums, there is many votes for Markus and it makes me happy :D

neorlando
03-08-09, 05:12 PM
http://s12.radikal.ru/i185/0908/26/db6e842f8790t.jpg (http://radikal.ru/F/s12.radikal.ru/i185/0908/26/db6e842f8790.jpg.html)

james
03-08-09, 07:41 PM
Markus has been my favorite DJ the last 2.5 years. So I've voted him #1 the last few DJ Mag Polls...but I honestly ask myself if I want him to become #1?

I use to love Tiesto...then he became #1...turned to crap.
I use to love PvD...then he became #1...turned to crap.
I use to love Armin...then he became #1...and his productions turned to crap...he can still spin an amazing set fortunately...

But I don't know what I would listen to if Markus' productions, radio show or his sets changed style.

I'll still vote him #1 of course...it's a huge honor and it means more exposure the higher you get on this poll. Meaning the more chances he'll come back to Atlanta!

kio
03-08-09, 08:00 PM
Hi guys,

This morning (comes a step too soon), this year's DJ Mag Top 100 Poll opened for voting, so please show your support for Markus this year.

hahahaha http://trance.nu/v4/forum/images/smiles/heart.gif

OT: To be honest, I think the poll is just a popularity contest, but of course I vote because I want to support the DJs/Producers that have really impressed me that year. and whether Markus ever became #1 or not, that will not change my opinion about him.

modthispny
04-08-09, 12:36 AM
he got my one and only vote, no point voting for anybody else lol

his name is getting around, give it a few more years...his productions this year rock anything that armin or anybody has produced.

dekonstruct
04-08-09, 07:54 PM
Here's how I see it...

Anyone voting on DJ Mag will vote with an inherent bias that you can't control for (i.e. the reputation of productions affecting your ranking as a DJ). Take for example Eddie Halliwell who I ranked in the Top 5 (Markus #1 of course!). Eddie is not a producer by any stretch of the imagination but has insane mixing skills. I strongly believe the reason he's not ranked higher is because of the fact that he doesn't produce and his name just doesn't float around as much (especially in the mainstream crowds). So no matter what, productions will influence many of the voters because they're not as passionate about trance culture and don't care about specifics.

I highly doubt Markus would change his style if he became #1. It took him many years to discover himself and start playing the stuff he enjoyed. So, if Markus plays the stuff he enjoys, I doubt his tastes would drastically change after becoming #1 :D

See ya @ Guv on the 22nd Markus :D

TigerClaw
04-08-09, 08:50 PM
Here is my Top 5. :)

1. Markus Schulz
2. Armin van Buuren
3. Marcus Schossow
4. Cosmic Gate
5. Wippenberg

deamon
05-08-09, 12:16 AM
This morning (comes a step too soon)

A lonely gaze, and empty room

:D

PS: Voted.. Markus #1 of course ;)

silviu
05-08-09, 09:29 PM
my top... 1.Armin van Buuren
2.Markus Schulz
3.Cosmic Gate
4.Gareth Emery
5.tyDi

:D

chimera
06-08-09, 05:03 AM
1. markus schulz
2. kyau & albert
3. dirty south
4. steve angello
5. cosmic gate

picking five was hard this year, top three were easy but heard some ridiculous music this year and there is still time to be blown away. i wish we could pick top 10 because would love to throw in some honorable mentions.

Here's how I see it...

Anyone voting on DJ Mag will vote with an inherent bias that you can't control for (i.e. the reputation of productions affecting your ranking as a DJ). Take for example Eddie Halliwell who I ranked in the Top 5 (Markus #1 of course!). Eddie is not a producer by any stretch of the imagination but has insane mixing skills. I strongly believe the reason he's not ranked higher is because of the fact that he doesn't produce and his name just doesn't float around as much (especially in the mainstream crowds). So no matter what, productions will influence many of the voters because they're not as passionate about trance culture and don't care about specifics.

i agree halliwell is an AMAZING dj, he does so much behind the decks but because he doesn't produce he won't get any bigger. in fact now that he doesn't have a show his ranking will probably fall. he's the ONLY top dj that doesn't produce a lick of music.

max
06-08-09, 07:45 PM
1. Markus Schulz
2. Above & Beyond
3. Luke Fair (Yes, I Love House)
4. Aly & Fila (Yes, I Love Uplifting)
5. Add2Basket (Yes, I Love Deep & Progressive House) [Edit]

Dave Ur
06-08-09, 10:46 PM
and heres mine top 5 djs for this year.

01.Beltek
02.Markus Schulz
03.Marcus Schossow
04.Mat Zo
05.Andy Duguid

james
07-08-09, 08:49 AM
1. Markus Schulz
2. Gareth Emery
3. Nic Chagall
4. George Acosta
5. Wippenberg

MrE
07-08-09, 05:35 PM
Voted.

After the year he's had, i'll be very surprised if Markus doesn't crack the top 5 this year. His performances, productions & remixes have been consistantly outstanding.

ghurki
07-08-09, 08:46 PM
1. Markus Schulz
2. Armin van Buuren
3. Ferry Corsten
4. Cosmic Gate
5. Sied van Riel

modthispny
08-08-09, 12:04 AM
Voted.

After the year he's had, i'll be very surprised if Markus doesn't crack the top 5 this year. His performances, productions & remixes have been consistantly outstanding.

definitely.

he moved up 5 spots in 2008, he's had a much better 2009 with Dakota and his productions.

can't wait!

Yeah Rick
09-08-09, 09:30 PM
My opinion on this, is that I never voted and I probably will never vote. To me it doesn't matter if you're #97 or #2, it doesn't mean I'll like you better. It's kind of a pissing contest to me...

"I like so and so DJ he's #1 in the World"

"Oh Yeah, well my favorite DJ was in the top 10, 5 years in a row"....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Of course I love Markus and would vote for him if I voted, but it just doesn't really matter for me. Dance music shouldn't be a competition between DJs, it should be a united effort to spread music to those who love EDM and future fans as well....Besides if you look at the trance guys who have been and will be in the top 10, they all spin a pretty similiar type of music...TRANCE!!!....but their are some differences, I'll agree....

ramballo
12-08-09, 09:02 PM
Markus will be back to back with Armin on the DJ Mag Poll
he will jump to second place
replacing PvD,, Tiesto

BOOYEAH

I hope I am RIGHT about it
I wish it does Happen :D :D

modthispny
12-08-09, 11:42 PM
Markus will be back to back with Armin on the DJ Mag Poll
he will jump to second place
replacing PvD,, Tiesto

BOOYEAH

I hope I am RIGHT about it
I wish it does Happen :D :D

I think it's going to be AVB, Tiesto, then Markus Schulz. He can beat out PVD, but not Tiesto; not because he isn't talented enough, Tiesto is just a very popular name in the scene.

Ferry hasn't really done anything to move up the #5 spot, same goes for Above and Beyond, breaking ties and miracle and sirens of the sea were amazing songs last year, i don't think they have that beat this year.

Same goes for David Guetta, he can only ride the "world is mine", "love is gone" wave for so long.

MFS!!!

ImpactPlayaz
13-08-09, 04:55 PM
Proof that dogs never have any pressure or distractions in their lives:

[youtube:3s6ioe5q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QozAEPCS3Sc[/youtube:3s6ioe5q]

aakos
13-08-09, 05:45 PM
There's no doubt:

1. Markus Schulz
and then...
2. Paul van Dyk
3. Ferry Corsten
4. Tiesto
5. Digweed

Maaike
14-08-09, 09:53 AM
My vote this year:
1. Markus Schulz (duh..)
2. Sean Tyas
3. Gareth Emery
4. Simon Patterson
5. Nic Chagall

I voted totally different than last year (accept for my nr 1 offcourse ;) )
No Armin, though I still think he's a great dj! No Above And Beyond, because I simply haven't heard them this year yet (and it's dj, not producer top 100 ;) ) and no Menno de Jong, because he simply dissapointed me a few times this year.

More hard-trance this year, but Sean and Simon two times saved the night at disapointing party's and I love the energy in their music, but also from themselve behind the decks (especially with their back-to-back set at queensnight) :mrgreen:

I've heard Gareth 4 times so far this year, and each times was a completely different, but great set.

Nic Chagall is always good, solo and with Bossi as Cosmic Gate, though I like the solo-sets more.

And now I look again at the list, I realize it's my first year without Dutch dj's :o

Vinyl
16-08-09, 04:34 AM
My votes in. Good luck MS ;)

toxin
16-08-09, 03:50 PM
1. Markus Schulz
2. Armin Van Buuren
3. Gareth Emery
4. Cosmic Gate
5. Simon Patterson

Go Markus!

salimtek
19-08-09, 02:39 AM
My votes for this year:

1. Markus Schulz (Deserve it)
2. Cosmic Gate
3. Tritonal
4. Myon and Shane54
5. Kyau and Albert

ryanthurlow
20-08-09, 12:31 AM
I vote for what the Dj did over the past year, releases, productions, sets.

1. Markus Schulz
2. John O Callahan
3. Cosmic Gate
4. Andy Moor
5. Menno De Jong

hype
20-08-09, 02:57 AM
my 5...in any order

Markus Schulz
Steve Lawler
Joris Voorn
Danny Howells
Nic Fanculli

Wojtus
20-08-09, 01:41 PM
MArkus
Leon Bolier
Armin
Arnej
Pryda

luluuu
24-08-09, 07:51 AM
1. Markus Schulz
2. Moonbeam
3. Gareth Emery
4. Cosmic Gate
5. Ferry Corsten

;)

Timmy
25-08-09, 01:42 PM
Schulz got my number 3.

Armin has been playing consistently good sets, his set earlier on this year at Sydney was Unbelievable, heaps of people checked him out and most of them stayed, even though most were festival go-ers with no clue about trance.

Ferry got my number 1 because his sets have been the best.

5. Simon Patterson
4. W & W / Re-ward
3. Markus Schulz
2. Armin Van Buuren
1. Ferry Corsten

maria111
29-08-09, 11:09 PM
The video with the puppies is the most funniest and clever ever video i have seen about the voting!Plus there is alot of meanings there dont you think people? ;)

my opinion for this voting its all about popularity and how good marketing the label has done all this year to bring the other to the spot!I do agree that the skill and the productions takes some credits but we have seen amazing people both with this skill and never got the first spot!

plus its about how much the other wanted it dont you think?I mean isnt important afterall the satisfaction from the crowd and the fans when a dj set went quite well and when the album liked(=bought) from them?

stefan1983
01-09-09, 01:29 PM
I´ve voted for :

1) Markus (of curse) :)
2) Armin
3) Gareth Emery
no 4)
no 5)

:)

jon1346
05-09-09, 09:56 AM
definitely voted for markus as no. 1 but who gives a damn even if he falls down a few spots... he is our no. 1 DJ for sure no matter what... been listening to gdjb for some time now and I've hardly had a dull moment in any of his sets. if that isn't the mark of a good DJ what else is. i throughly believe Markus is a better DJ than Armin he mixes really well and brings in a song unexpectedly. if anyones listened to asot 2009 will see the mixing in that is really bad and surprisingly amateur. but we have to also admit that Tiesto is Tiesto......... he is a genius and definitely one of the top and legendary dj's around. best of luck Markus!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Rob
05-09-09, 09:07 PM
why is everyone still voting for armin? he had a horrible year with just commercial junk releases, and live sets are even worse in my opinion he does'nt deserve this honor, my vote:
1: Markus Schulz (obvious!)
2: Cosmic Gate
3: Gareth Emery
4: Arnej
5: Rex Mundi (if allowed)

michal dybek
06-09-09, 04:13 AM
My Top 5:

1. Markus Schulz
2. Marcus Schossow
3. Moonbeam
4. Sander van Doorn
5. Gui Boratto

Kukis26
11-09-09, 01:03 PM
I voted: 1) MARKUS SCHULZ of course 2) - 3) - 4) - 5) - 8-) Markus is number one for me and I want to win Markus. His set in Prague in club SaSaZu was really amazing and I and my friends look forward to the transmission 2009!!!

EddyAB
13-09-09, 11:19 AM
1. Markus Schulz
2. Above and Beyond
3. Armin van Buuren
4. Ferry Corsten
5. Roger Shah

ImpactPlayaz
16-09-09, 08:26 PM
Final week guys. So we need to make a huge push.

If you haven't voted already, please do. And if you have any friends and family who could spare 5 minutes to help you with your support for Markus, get them to vote too.

Let's all push together and hope that Markus gets the success he deserves.

Thanks guys. :)

kio
16-09-09, 09:30 PM
SHHOOOOOT!!!! I need to tell my friend!!! She really loved Markus' set

alchemy
24-09-09, 03:50 AM
Markus has certainly been the top entertainer in the trance scene this year, hands down. I'm positive that the DJMAG poll will reflect that.

But as he climbs to new heights of commercial success, I do hope that Markus doesn't lose the edge in his sound, and the uniqueness he brings to his music, sets and radioshows. In that way, the fame that the DJmag poll brings is notorious. As DJs are brought on to the top of the list, more and more people start emulating their sound, forcing the top guys to evolve. Most of the time, that evolution is two steps backwards.

These days I typically don't go clubbing unless some big names come along, so I can't verify this, but I'm sure a lot of DJs have started dropping Johnny the Fox or Forget About Us or Chinook early on in their sets to get the crowd moving. While its great for promotion reasons, if clubbers keep hearing these sounds everywhere, they would expect different stuff from Markus, and I do hope that amidst this pressure, he doesn't lose his unique style and selections.

Having said that, my top vote went to Markus, followed by (can't remember the order) Gareth Emery, Ashley Wallbridge, Cosmic Gate & Sied van Riel