PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Going to Bal en Blanc? / REVIEW

chimera
09-04-09, 01:53 PM
Anyone on this forum going to Bal on Blanc on Easter?

hellosam
09-04-09, 03:46 PM
I WISHHHHHHHHH!!! :(

have fun everyone who is!!!! :) :)

dekonstruct
10-04-09, 12:38 AM
Would have gone if I wasn't in the middle of exams!! It's only a couple of hours drive... shame... knowing MS is gonna be only a couple of hours away playin some insane beats :(

Have fun to all going!

omarswim
10-04-09, 04:08 AM
I will be there waiting for Markus!!

Mike206
10-04-09, 06:03 AM
Yep I'm.
I'm going to be wearing my Coldharbour Recordings T-shirt!! 8-)

chimera
14-04-09, 07:58 PM
since i'm officially awake now and back in nyc so here is my overall LONG review on the night.

i don't care what anyone says going through the line in 10min beats waiting 2hrs so paying for a VIP ticket was well worth the $30 CAD plus this year the VIP section was much bigger so we weren't on top of one another. Actually the whole tech/trance room as a whole was much bigger. Anyhow, they had tables and couches which was great especially toward the end of the party. Only negatives about the VIP were the bathrooms, no enough and wasn't worth waiting and the area directly adjacent to the booth had bad sound. All night the music kept cutting out, the people on the floor had much better sound. From a sound perspective, my ears didn't hurt at all after the party and ultimately I didn't wear ear plugs for 90% of the party.

Caught the last 30min of Insomnia's set, like last year she played a perfect opening set. Markus came on right after and promptly destroyed the place from 11:30 - 2:20/2:30. He played tracks like Unprepared for Nothing at All, Sign of the Times, Chakalaka's New World Gate, L.E.D. There Be Light (Wippenberg Remix), Sin City, Magenta (track of the night, Markus, A&B and Armin all played it) and tons of other great tracks (will add a tracklist later, my friend did them for Markus, Above & Beyond and Armin). Either way music and Markus' energy were on point. Haven't seen him have so much fun behind the decks which was awesome. Dance in White as expected was last. Jester I believe joined Markus behind the booth and Lavoie with 4 dancers performed the song. Lavoie was dressed in some type of dead animal which was interesting but the 4 dancers were a nice addition. I thought they were really good and although I prefer the track sans lyrics it was a nice ending to Markus' set.

I danced hard for that three hours and without a doubt the set of the night in the tech/trance room and for the me the set of the party as a whole. My friend and I didn't get a chance to see Markus right after his set because the line was a bit long with people talking, getting autographs and pictures (no idea how they got those by security) and by that point we were hungry so went on a little expedition to find food so by the time we were back didn't see him. Either way sick set and damn it wore me out!

Quick Review of the others:
Above & Beyond: Are always consistent, they had a good set but their set two years ago was ridiculous so the bar was set a bit high for them. Really good set with lots of wow tracks but not mind blowing. Although I'm a sucker for 99% of their vocal tracks so they had me in there until the very end of their set and I missed the first 30min of Axwell. Totally worth it though.

Axwell played some disgusting sick house music. After Markus this was my second favorite set of the night. Haven't hear Leave The World Behind at a party so that was a huge plus. Keep in mind, I do this party 100% sober and this year I opted for no caffeine so if you can make me dance at 7:45am you are a winner.

Deadma5: Only stayed for 20min or so, I liked the tracks he was playing but needed something faster especially at 8:30am in the morning so went to catch the rest of Armin's set.

Armin: His set overlapped with Axwell's and since I planned on going to the house room only caught his intro (which was identical to the beginning of his TE set) and the last 2hrs of his set. He was good and had great crowd interaction but for me his set last year at BeB was amazing so the bar was set a bit higher. He didn't disappoint and since I only caught 2hrs I can't comment on much but overall it was a solid set. He ended off with Mind Circus (G & D remix) though which is a big win in my book. He played Communication Part 3 right before that which had most going nuts to but I'm probably the only person in the world who has never gotten into that track.

Roger Shah: He started out with Going Wrong and to my understanding played that type of trance for the rest of the night. I really think the time they booked him for was inappropriate on the organizer's part. He's a talented producer and good DJ but not at 10:30am at the end of a "rave". Most are fading VERY quickly at this point and by then I'd been there for 10.5hrs. In the past they have had Preach who at that point played more techno than trance close out the party and last year Menno closed it out but he played an atypical set which ended up being honestly epic. You need someone to play music that forces your to keep moving and quick. Putting Roger Shah last was a big mistake. I knew I couldn't stay awake and headed to the house room after his first two tracks or so.

Victor Calderone: I didn't stay for longer than 10min because I really had to go to sleep but what I heard was ridiculous. Like last year he came in and did what he was supposed to do to close out that party. There were still a couple thousand people left when I left that room and had some friends stay for the duration of his set which they could all attest to being great.

Anyhow the end, left Montreal Monday evening and overall a great party. Another successful Bal en Blanc, can't wait to next year.

hellosam
15-04-09, 06:06 PM
tahnks for the review!!! ooooh it sounds like it was so much fun! I am sooo jealous!! I am THERE next year...without a doubt!!!!!!!!

clickity
25-04-09, 05:56 AM
Just a quick question, to anyone who's reading, and I realize it's a loaded one. But just respond based on your experiences, and what you might like to see:

Do you prefer large festival type events like Bal en Blanc, to be indoors or outdoors? There are very few large events in doors to begin with, but they are out there.

I only ask because at most festivals, I find myself being more drawn to the tents they have set up, i.e. Carl Cox's tent @ Ultra. It's more of a club atmosphere, than the open air stages.

chimera
16-05-09, 08:26 AM
Just a quick question, to anyone who's reading, and I realize it's a loaded one. But just respond based on your experiences, and what you might like to see:

Do you prefer large festival type events like Bal en Blanc, to be indoors or outdoors? There are very few large events in doors to begin with, but they are out there.

I only ask because at most festivals, I find myself being more drawn to the tents they have set up, i.e. Carl Cox's tent @ Ultra. It's more of a club atmosphere, than the open air stages.

my knowledge base isn't the most extensive but so far i prefer indoor because it doesn't put a timestamp on things. i don't like being able to mark the time of a show with the way it looks outside PLUS no lazers. love them and lazers at 5pm on a summer night just don't work. once i go to dance valley will officially comment on how i feel on the whole outdoor area thing because at this point have only really gone to armin sets outside...