PDA

View Full Version : Markus Schulz - Scream - Coming August 31 2012

ImpactPlayaz
05-05-12, 01:56 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/ImpactPlayaz/MarkusForum/ScreamCover.jpg

CD Tracklist:
01. Our Moment
02. Loops & Tings (vs. Ferry Corsten)
03. Nothing Without Me (featuring Ana Diaz)
04. Love Rain Down (featuring Seri)
05. Carry On (featuring Jaren)
06. Deep in the Night (featuring Fiora)
07. Caught (featuring Adina Butar)
08. Triotonic (with Elevation and KhoMha)
09. Soul Seeking
10. Sing Me Back to Life (featuring Aruna)
11. Don't Leave Until the Sunrise
12. Until it's Gone (featuring Trevor Guthrie)
13. Universe is Mine (featuring Adina Butar)
14. Tempted (featuring Sarah Howells)
15. Absolution (featuring Mark Frisch)
16. I Like It (featuring Khaz and E.L.I.)
17. Digital Madness
18. Scream (featuring Ken Spector)
19. Finish Line (with Elevation)

Digital Bonus Tracks:
20. Go! (with Dennis Sheperd)
21. Karbon (with Arnej)
22. Push the Button (with Mr. Pit)
23. Silence to the Call (with Wellenrausch)

Neruda
05-05-12, 02:43 AM
It would be nice if the interview can be post on the MS youtube channel or right here.

modthispny
05-05-12, 06:45 AM
Not sure what I feel about the name but I guess once we hear some songs and titles from it will make more sense.

Ayden
05-05-12, 10:36 AM
Sounds interesting, can't wait for the release...

jimmy-gellar
05-05-12, 11:31 AM
awesome cant wait :)

NeoGeo2k
05-05-12, 05:46 PM
Screammmm :)

CarlosSR
06-05-12, 03:38 PM
I wonder what's the meaning behind the title, or is it random?

MarcelW
22-05-12, 02:41 AM
I think that's a great name, for example we hear screaming in Go! and maybe in ohter tracks preparing by Mr. Coldharbour ^^, Hmmm, the tracklist would be nice:
Markus Schulz feat. Adina Butar - Caught
Markus Schulz & Ferry Corsten - Loops & Tings
Markus Schulz & Dennis Sheperd - Go!
ID - ID (Track 06 from ASOT 550 Den Bosch Set) <- i hope so :)

buraksbt
27-06-12, 11:42 PM
I think its time for a thread about Scream :D

What are you thinking about new album?

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7393/screami.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/403/screami.jpg/)

It's the official cover that been shared on FB. I think its a good work :)

Tracklist so far:

Digital Madness
Bolandish
Go! ft. Dennis Sheperd
Karbon ft. Arnej
Caught ft. Adina Butar
Loops & Tings ft. Ferry Corsten
Carry On ft. Jaren
ID ft. Mr. Pit

is there any other track that i forgot or haven't known?

modthispny
28-06-12, 12:53 AM
you sure these are on the album? maybe 1 but i don't think all of those...or so i hope.

Digital Madness
Bolandish
Go! ft. Dennis Sheperd
Karbon ft. Arnej

modthispny
28-06-12, 06:21 AM
btw the name and cover are all make sense, markus posted this on his facebook today.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/246436_10150938671679947_210238383_n.jpg

this is one of his trademark 'poses' when he's DJ'ing..

Ayden
28-06-12, 07:04 AM
The idea behind the album is nice. Markus Schulz's trademark.

Alex
28-06-12, 10:53 AM
Today is album announcement day, so I'm looking forward to see the tracklist ;)

buraksbt
28-06-12, 11:25 AM
you sure these are on the album? maybe 1 but i don't think all of those...or so i hope.

Digital Madness
Bolandish
Go! ft. Dennis Sheperd
Karbon ft. Arnej

I know that Digital Madness is the first single of the album. All of those emerged after DM, so they have to be in the album.

really? good news :D

ImpactPlayaz
28-06-12, 11:49 AM
Merged with existing album thread.

Just album cover, tracklist isn't 100% finalised yet but not too long to wait.

Alex
28-06-12, 12:04 PM
Merged with existing album thread.

Just album cover, tracklist isn't 100% finalised yet but not too long to wait.
Okay. DYD album announcement contained tracklist, so that's why I thought about tracklist today :)

Wojtus
28-06-12, 01:34 PM
Im scared about boring vocals:(

modthispny
28-06-12, 04:46 PM
I know that Digital Madness is the first single of the album. All of those emerged after DM, so they have to be in the album.

i doubt it. just because it's released doesn't mean it's going to be on the album. i did hear about digital madness being on it but i think that's it, and maybe loops and things if it gets clearance.

jdub889
28-06-12, 06:07 PM
sounds like one of the new tracks will be called 'heat' (or something in that vein) ... thinking it might be the ID markus premiered at EDC vegas, it has an aggressive sound that would match well with the title:

ztCflAHZxrg

michal dybek
28-06-12, 10:24 PM
Can't wait!!

Mindphlux
30-06-12, 05:40 AM

You seem to be under the impression that tracks he has released over the last year are guaranteed to be on the album. Digital Madness was the transmission theme for 2011, not the first single of Scream.. the first single of Scream is Caught. I can't picture Bolandish being a album track either. Its possible we could get Loops and Tings or Go, but those were collabs with other DJs and in my mind, not planned for his solo album. I'd rather have brand new music we haven't heard yet anyways.

Alex
30-06-12, 08:13 AM
You seem to be under the impression that tracks he has released over the last year are guaranteed to be on the album. Digital Madness was the transmission theme for 2011, not the first single of Scream.. the first single of Scream is Caught. I can't picture Bolandish being a album track either. Its possible we could get Loops and Tings or Go, but those were collabs with other DJs and in my mind, not planned for his solo album. I'd rather have brand new music we haven't heard yet anyways.
I think it depends how many tracks Markus has for his new album. If he has a lot of brand new tracks, he might not include collabs and DM on "Scream".

modthispny
30-06-12, 10:30 AM

i agree. i asked him during gdjb on twitter and he said they are all tbd, but honestly i would expect 1-2 tracks we've heard before at max, most likely digital madness and loops and tings.

have no problem with the other productions, but i guess we expect mostly new stuff with an artist album.

Mindphlux
30-06-12, 06:04 PM
if digital madness appears on the album, i would expect it to be in a shorter, radio edit form. Similar to what he did with The new world on Do you dream. Pity that Future Cities never made it to an album.

buraksbt
30-06-12, 11:07 PM

No, he said in an interview that DM was the first single of the upcoming album. I don't know if the other tracks which we heard after DM will or won't be on the album, but I guess they all will be or maybe they can be released as an extra 'collaborations' release :)

Mindphlux
01-07-12, 12:38 AM
i could have sworn Armada said that Caught was the first single of the new album. Well regardless, Caught is the first advertised "scream" single. Digital madness has been out for 7+ months now... long before he was finished, or even announced album news.

buraksbt
01-07-12, 01:46 PM
I couldn't found the interview, the one which 2 guys asking 3 questions to Markus, then they add 1 one, after they play Fortuna? And it was made in a Holland channel, I think. Watch that interview, you can hear from Markus that DM was the first single of the album. But ideas can be change, maybe it won't :)

Neruda
01-07-12, 02:50 PM
I couldn't found the interview, the one which 2 guys asking 3 questions to Markus, then they add 1 one, after they play Fortuna? And it was made in a Holland channel, I think. Watch that interview, you can hear from Markus that DM was the first single of the album. But ideas can be change, maybe it won't :)

Yeah, i posted the interview in other thread. Skip at 11:31 DM It's not the first "single" per se, but def. it's gonna be on the album. Although Markus can change his mind at any time like the rest of us.

oyFh_BR0ZE8

Wojtus
03-07-12, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3mLGXz3Euk&feature=relmfu another track from Scream i guess.....

CarlosSR
03-07-12, 02:05 PM
Ooh, that sounds dark and brooding, can't wait for the reveal.

modthispny
03-07-12, 05:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3mLGXz3Euk&feature=relmfu another track from Scream i guess.....

wow, when the beat drops, !!!!

Neruda
04-07-12, 10:55 PM
This is def a new markus track. Same synth like Digital Madness and same "signature sound" at 1:42 (Like the big recon of remember magnetic... Go! and karbon.)

Juh0RT6Ewo0

Robert Swindon
09-07-12, 03:50 AM
Markus Schulz & KhoMHa???

Wojtus
19-07-12, 03:32 PM
No tracklist yet?

Alex
19-07-12, 11:09 PM
No tracklist yet?
I think next week or end of July/beginning of August :)

Wojtus
22-07-12, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8xso_yMOcY&feature=related with Mr. PIT

Alex
22-07-12, 10:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8xso_yMOcY&feature=related with Mr. PIT
Are you sure? :) where did you get this info?

kristofer
03-08-12, 12:29 PM
Yesterday @ Buftea Studios, Bucharest, Romania.
The new single is called Love Rain Down On Me (feat. Seri).

10 minutes interview with Markus Schulz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc5BP133-M8

mmartins
03-08-12, 03:17 PM
Markus said that he's going to release all 25 tracks, 19 on the album and 6 bonus tracks.

here's a tracklist so far:

Markus Schulz feat. Seri - Love Rain Down On Me
Markus Schulz feat. Adina Butar - Caught
Markus Schulz feat. Adina Butar - Deep In The Night
Markus Schulz feat. Adina Butar - Universes Mind
Markus Schulz feat. Jaren - Carry On
Markus Schulz feat. Sarah Howells - Tempted
Markus Schulz feat. Anadia (?) - Nothing Without Me (or) Until Its Gone
Markus Schulz - Scream
Markus Schulz - I Like It
Markus Schulz - Absolution
Markus Schulz with Elevation & KhoMha - Triotonic
Markus Schulz - Soul Seeking
Markus Schulz & Ferry Corsten - Loops & Tings
Markus Schulz & Dennis Sheperd - Go!
Markus Schulz & Elevation - Finish Line
Markus Schulz & Arnej - Karbon
Markus Schulz & Mr. Pit - ID
Markus Schulz feat. Fiora - ID
Markus Schulz feat. Aruna - ID
Markus Schulz feat. Khaz - ID
Markus Schulz & KhoMha - ID
Markus Schulz - Bolandish (not sure)
Markus Schulz - Digital Madness (not sure)

modthispny
03-08-12, 05:23 PM
glad we're going to get so many tracks =)

Alex
03-08-12, 06:47 PM
I'm curious when they'll reveal the tracklist. I heard something about "end of this week"(29th of July) and now is 3rd of August and still nothing.

buraksbt
04-08-12, 01:48 AM
Markus said that he's going to release all 25 tracks, 19 on the album and 6 bonus tracks.

here's a tracklist so far:

Markus Schulz feat. Aruna - ID

Now i'm excited, this is what i reeeaaally want to hear :D Also I wonder Seri's, Fiora's and Anadia's vocals? Anyone know who they are?

There are so many tracks done with other DJs, all of them are strong tracks but i think many of them will dress the bonus part up. Just a feeling :D

Alex
04-08-12, 09:22 AM
Now i'm excited, this is what i reeeaaally want to hear :D Also I wonder Seri's, Fiora's and Anadia's vocals? Anyone know who they are?

There are so many tracks done with other DJs, all of them are strong tracks but i think many of them will dress the bonus part up. Just a feeling :D
Armin did a track with Fiora: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uOuuu9338 :) She has nice voice.

ImpactPlayaz
04-08-12, 09:56 AM
Just to clear up a couple of things for you guys.

- Deep in the Night is actually sung by Fiora, and not Adina. There are just two tracks on the album with Adina singing on them - Caught and Universe is Mine.
- As things currently stand, there are actually 23 tracks in total, not 25. Markus slightly overcooked the number there! So 19 on the CD and 4 bonus digital extras.
- Bolandish and Rotunda will not feature on the album.

Hope this helps.

Alex
04-08-12, 10:25 AM
Just to clear up a couple of things for you guys.

- Deep in the Night is actually sung by Fiora, and not Adina. There are just two tracks on the album with Adina singing on them - Caught and Universe is Mine.
- As things currently stand, there are actually 23 tracks in total, not 25. Markus slightly overcooked the number there! So 19 on the CD and 4 bonus digital extras.
- Bolandish and Rotunda will not feature on the album.

Hope this helps.
Darren! BTW I love your Coldharbour Day set!
Do you know something about tracklist? When will you announce it?

F***, I can't wait for "Nothing Without Me" anymore! Fuels every day of my living.

fridaycoffee
04-08-12, 10:47 AM
heard a few new tracks last night...one stood out, banging track with a quiet vocal in the background..

peenie
04-08-12, 05:53 PM
i can't wait to hear some of them tonight @nature one :)

ImpactPlayaz
04-08-12, 10:33 PM

F***, I can't wait for "Nothing Without Me" anymore! Fuels every day of my living.

Thanks. :)

I have the tracklist but just waiting for the green light from Armada to announce it.

kristofer
06-08-12, 04:02 PM
Markus Schulz "Scream" album tour @ Loca Beach Costinesti, Romania - 03.08.2012
photos, tracklist, info:
http://www.urban.ro/muzica/markus-schulz-scream-album-tour--loca-beach-costinesti-foto-video-tracklist/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rfj9xfdlA

buraksbt
06-08-12, 11:04 PM

I don't know anything about Nothing Without Me?? Where can i listen it? :s

buraksbt
06-08-12, 11:14 PM
Armin did a track with Fiora: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uOuuu9338 :) She has nice voice.

Yes, very nice :) Actually i didn't listened Armin's whole Mirage album, there was so much tracks and most of them like each others :D Virtual Friend was my fav. one, and it's vocalists (i don't remember her name) voice was pretty amazing anyway :D:D

CarlosSR
07-08-12, 12:59 AM
From mirage, I only liked perhaps at most 3 or 4 tracks. Mostly the instrumentals. Mirage was way to mainstream for me though, so I gave it to my mom since she loves Armin's commercial productions.

Wojtus
07-08-12, 07:56 AM
It seems to very commercial, crap album. Cheesy vocals by bitches from Romania, simple beats. One of the worst album in '12 for sure! shame

Alex
07-08-12, 08:45 AM
I don't know anything about Nothing Without Me?? Where can i listen it? :s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3wP6JOc1zQ&feature=player_embedded

modthispny
08-08-12, 06:18 AM
nothing without me is an absolute gem!

auteuil
09-08-12, 06:42 PM
So tracklist to be revealed tonight?

ImpactPlayaz
09-08-12, 11:00 PM
Confirmed tracklist

CD Tracklist:
01. Our Moment
02. Loops & Tings (vs. Ferry Corsten)
03. Nothing Without Me (featuring Ana Diaz)
04. Love Rain Down (featuring Seri)
05. Carry On (featuring Jaren)
06. Deep in the Night (featuring Fiora)
07. Caught (featuring Adina Butar)
08. Triotonic (with Elevation and KhoMha)
09. Soul Seeking
10. Sing Me Back to Life (featuring Aruna)
11. Don't Leave Until the Sunrise
12. Until it's Gone (featuring Trevor Guthrie)
13. Universe is Mine (featuring Adina Butar)
14. Tempted (featuring Sarah Howells)
15. Absolution (featuring Mark Frisch)
16. I Like It (featuring Khaz and E.L.I.)
17. Digital Madness
18. Scream (featuring Ken Spector)
19. Finish Line (with Elevation)

Digital Bonus Tracks:
20. Go! (with Dennis Sheperd)
21. Karbon (with Arnej)
22. Push the Button (with Mr. Pit)
23. Silence to the Call (with Wellenrausch)

Daniel Craft
09-08-12, 11:12 PM
So many vocals?! Markus, wtf?!

mmartins
09-08-12, 11:25 PM
So many vocals?! Markus, wtf?!

11 instrumental tracks, 12 vocal tracks so what's wrong with you? it's Markus Schulz album, not Dakota..

auteuil
10-08-12, 01:49 AM
Very excited about the Wellenrausch track!

CarlosSR
10-08-12, 04:16 AM
Def gonna cop this! I'm not even going to listen to the previews as to not ruin the surprise of the first listen.

Robert Swindon
10-08-12, 09:01 AM
I can't wait!!! Pretty much 50/50 Vocals / Non-Vocals! I'll buy CD & Download! Possibly the download version will have longer versions of each track plus the bonus tracks! and I gotta have the CD aswell! :D

modthispny
14-08-12, 01:10 AM
some more SCREAM ID's from his gig at avalon this past weekend. im really impressed with the quality of the vocals from this album.

Markus Schulz feat. Ken Spector - Scream
2qzzBXyhu2A

sounds familiar but i think it's an ID. so beautiful
gWgTCHdmPjU

starts at 2 min mark..vocals at 3:05
FWT-_nxth-k

buraksbt
14-08-12, 03:28 AM
Markus Schulz feat. Ken Spector - Scream
2qzzBXyhu2A

This is amazing, really amazing. If this is Scream, it may be the best track of the album for me so far, im so impressed :)
Btw, can't it be Absolution or something else?

sounds familiar but i think it's an ID. so beautiful
gWgTCHdmPjU

The vocals belong to Aruna, so it seems like Sing Me Back to Life, another beautiful song.

starts at 2 min mark..vocals at 3:05
FWT-_nxth-k

This one is amazing too! Fascinating vocals, and that vocals seem very familiar. The basslines says that its Markus' track. If this one belongs to the album too, i'm so excited to hear all other tracks :D Those are better than what we heard in last months i think.

buraksbt
14-08-12, 03:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3wP6JOc1zQ&feature=player_embedded

I have the change to listen it barely now, i listened it five times in a row. Vocals tracks on the album are all instrumentally strong too.

mmartins
14-08-12, 04:08 PM
the third video is Mark Knight feat. Skin - Nothing Matters ;)

Alex
14-08-12, 04:28 PM
http://youtu.be/d0VHE665Bfo - Deep in The Night. I can't describe how I want this album. 31st of August is sad date for me, because of the end of holiday, but I'm sure that "Scream" give me a lot of fuel in September :)

modthispny
14-08-12, 07:29 PM
the third video is Mark Knight feat. Skin - Nothing Matters ;)

great! thank you, and looks like markus played the original mix with a possibly a brr.

buraksbt
14-08-12, 09:26 PM
great! thank you, and looks like markus played the original mix with a possibly a brr.

true i understand, because that record has something belong Markus :)

topereq
15-08-12, 12:00 PM
so far i like 2 tracks from the album: Nothing Without Me & Scream. can't wait to hear collab with Wellenrausch :)

RoDion K
15-08-12, 07:46 PM
Markus Schulz (with Mr. Pit) - Push the Button??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la3AuYIzMXQ&amp;feature=player_embedded

SndL
16-08-12, 07:10 AM
Is 31st of August a release date for digital release or physical copy, because Amazon says 17th of Sept?

GDJB
16-08-12, 02:58 PM
Is 31st of August a release date for digital release or physical copy, because Amazon says 17th of Sept?

Will be August 31

fridaycoffee
17-08-12, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG540MbGcCQ&feature=g-all-u the tracks from this preview are dissapointing except Triotonic.....so far 5/19 that i like but many still rest unheard

axt
17-08-12, 03:35 PM
Soul Seeking is massive.. same vibe as Ferry Corsten - Take Me.. lovely emotional breakdown :)

peenie
17-08-12, 04:31 PM

amazon.de says 31.aug - http://www.amazon.de/Scream-Markus-Schulz/dp/B008P8XHSQ

Alex
17-08-12, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG540MbGcCQ&feature=g-all-u the tracks from this preview are dissapointing except Triotonic.....so far 5/19 that i like but many still rest unheard
I don't hear the magic in those tracks :(

modthispny
17-08-12, 08:22 PM
wow! skimmed thru the preview, very impressed with what i hear.

holding off on everything else until the release now.

only spoiler for me was the trevor gunthri track, the rest of the tracks i had heard before

the one with aruna is incredible!!

buraksbt
17-08-12, 11:03 PM
so far i like 2 tracks from the album: Nothing Without Me & Scream. can't wait to hear collab with Wellenrausch :)

What about Karbon and Loops & Tings? At least they deserve your like tope :D As for me, nearly whole album is good but some tracks are real killers :D

Also without vocals and that turbulance sound Caught is a perfect instrumental track :) It just doesn't need any vocals on it.

Wojtus
18-08-12, 09:10 AM
the vocals are cheesy...... shame mr. Markus!

topereq
18-08-12, 09:53 AM
What about Karbon and Loops & Tings? At least they deserve your like tope :D As for me, nearly whole album is good but some tracks are real killers :D

Also without vocals and that turbulance sound Caught is a perfect instrumental track :) It just doesn't need any vocals on it.

Karbon is a total disaster for me. and L&T ...hmm the track is good but it is so overplayed that i can't listen to it anymore :P

Soul Seeking sounds ok :-)

buraksbt
18-08-12, 12:27 PM

yep Soul Seeking is good:)

Alex
18-08-12, 01:20 PM
Karbon is a total disaster for me. and L&T ...hmm the track is good but it is so overplayed that i can't listen to it anymore :P

Karbon in compare to Until it's Gone (featuring Trevor Guthrie) is a masterpiece :)

Evening Twilight
21-08-12, 04:31 PM
soul seeking sounds great.
and scream sound pretty damn good on yt vids

Daniel Craft
21-08-12, 09:37 PM
IMO, Push the Button with Mr. Pit is the best track from album so far.

Robert Swindon
31-08-12, 05:02 AM
Well done Markus!! Really enjoy your new album! :D :D :D

modthispny
31-08-12, 06:00 AM
got the album! so far so good, just wish triotonic and soul seeking were longer. too short IMO

will give full review after a few listens

so far tempted is the surprise of the album for me!

Ericc B
31-08-12, 10:15 AM
Good greef what a piss poor album. Markus' worst effort ever. By a mile.

:(

Wojtus
31-08-12, 10:24 AM
Good greef what a piss poor album. Markus' worst effort ever. By a mile.

:(

Unfortunately, but i agree with u. Very shame album. Lots of simple melodies, cheesy vocals goes to radio stations. Markus changed target. Markus Schulz- new popular dj in Radio& MTV. Bye,bye:(

topereq
31-08-12, 12:47 PM
^got to agree with you guys. i like 4 tracks from the album (Nothing Without Me, Soul Seeking, Scream and collad with Wellenrausch), the rest is either overplayed or really, really bad. some tracks are beyond level of crap : love rain down on me (probably the worst single released by Markus), karbon, push the button (oh god this is bad), absoultion (this vocal makes me wanna stab my ears with screwdriver), i like it, sing me back to life, universe is mine (she sounds weird and annoying in this track).

Evening Twilight
31-08-12, 12:52 PM
lol guys.... Stop talking like that, give it some time.

btw I'm really happy that we got extended mixes so fast :D

Sheedy
31-08-12, 01:04 PM
Where can I get the extended versions??

Voodoo Child
31-08-12, 01:25 PM
Where can I get the extended versions??
Currently the extended mixes are beatport exclusive. I'm happy that there is no rip-off with album mixes this time. Hopefully Armada will do this in the future with every Album release.

Now I'm waiting for my CD copy. I'm a little bit anxious I won't like the album due to the bad comments. I have not listened to the previews. Except the tracks which were already released as singles every track is new for me.

Voodoo Child
31-08-12, 01:38 PM
I've just noticed some differences between the extended album mixes of Digital Madness and Caught and the the previously released Original and Club Mix, respectively. The previews at beatport indicate that the pitch bend parts have been removed. The waveform of the Digital Madness extended album mix also indicates, that it is like an intro mix. Maybe somebody can confirm that? I'm not sure if it is worth buying these alternative mixes.

Alex
31-08-12, 01:51 PM
I've just noticed some differences between the extended album mixes of Digital Madness and Caught and the the previously released Original and Club Mix, respectively. The previews at beatport indicate that the pitch bend parts have been removed. The waveform of the Digital Madness extended album mix also indicates, that it is like an intro mix. May be someone can confirm that? I'm not sure if it is worth buying these alternative mixes.
Caught is like the Club Mix, but without the pitchbend(one extra verse I think?). Digital Madness has this nice intro by Markus :)

Finished listening and hmm... this album haven't surprised me. Some nice tracks, but I didn't notice the Markus Schulz sound, magical, Coldharbour sound: Our Moment in compare to Alpha State is really average, some poor trousy, american EDM tracks like Love Rain Down, Until It's Gone, Absolution, I Like It. My favourites are: Nothing Without Me(ahh, I love it), Carry On, Deep In The Night, Caught. I like the "home listening" vibe in Don't Until Before The Sunrise. Why we haven't got more home listening tracks? I always loved the chillout stuff by Markus(On a Wave, Lightwave, Arial etc).
Maybe Markus needed this album to be more popular, but I think the old fans also needs something for them. Markus albums was always special for me, but this album is far, far from Andy Moor, Jaytech, Solarstone's this year. I'm sorry man.

topereq
31-08-12, 02:04 PM
Maybe Markus needed this album to be more popular, but I think the old fans also needs something for them. Markus albums was always special for me, but this album is far, far from Andy Moor, Jaytech, Solarstone's this year. I'm sorry man.
yes, seems like this album is a step into new direction. picking 'Love Rain Down' on the scnd single just confirms it. it's the most commercial-sounding track from the album.
i don't like this new direction, and it's really sad to watch Markus following the paths of Armin, Ferry & A&B. i hope he will come back one day and create tracks with soul, magic and old coldharbour vibe.

Alex
31-08-12, 02:33 PM
yes, seems like this album is a step into new direction. picking 'Love Rain Down' on the scnd single just confirms it. it's the most commercial-sounding track from the album.
i don't like this new direction, and it's really sad to watch Markus following the paths of Armin, Ferry & A&B. i hope he will come back one day and create tracks with soul, magic and old coldharbour vibe.
Yeah, like the Coldharbour-London studio time in his life :) I will not be surprised if he remixes the Justin Bieber single(like Ferry did) :(

topereq
31-08-12, 03:31 PM
Yeah, like the Coldharbour-London studio time in his life :) I will not be surprised if he remixes the Justin Bieber single(like Ferry did) :(

as long as he will keep producing music for big club & venues he will go deeper and deeper into trouse & commercial stuff full of simple melodies. im sure most of tracks from Scream works really well in the clubs, but ffs maybe its time to make sth for home listening. okay, he released dakota tbt2 last year, but even that album was more club orientated than tbt1.
imo its time to stop this unicorn slaying bs (what is kinda funny now, cos this album is full of fluffy and cheesy vocals) and go back to the real progressive trance, that we all loved him for. well, that's my wish
and belive me, i would really like to support Markus & his productions, but i can't.

Alex
31-08-12, 03:40 PM
as long as he will keep producing music for big club & venues he will go deeper and deeper into trouse & commercial stuff full of simple melodies. im sure most of tracks from Scream works really well in the clubs, but ffs maybe its time to make sth for home listening. okay, he released dakota tbt2 last year, but even that album was more club orientated than tbt1.
imo its time to stop this unicorn slaying bs (what is kinda funny now, cos this album is full of fluffy and cheesy vocals) and go back to the real progressive trance, that we all loved him for. well, that's my wish
and belive me, i would really like to support Markus & his productions, but i can't.
We can't say him what he needs to do. I'll be still supporting him, because of Nothing Without Me and better than in last 2 years GDJB shows :)

topereq
31-08-12, 03:51 PM
We can't say him what he needs to do. I'll be still supporting him, because of Nothing Without Me and better than in last 2 years GDJB shows :)

yeah i know we can't ;) and by not supporting Markus, i meant that i won't support his productions. GDJB is still one of the best weekly shows (if not the best) and im tuned in almost every week.
yeah, Nothing Without Me is the best vocal track from the album by far. IMO it is his best track under Schulz name since 'Surreal' ;)

fridaycoffee
31-08-12, 03:56 PM
i was afraid that the album will be full of pitchbend tracks...at least they some have vocals over it, and some are actually good...this album is no surprise :) i'm satisfied with the 4,5 good ones out of it

modthispny
31-08-12, 04:31 PM
wish i knew about the extended mixes version, i purchased the version through itunes last night. :(

stop being so critical people, you cant expect the same sound that was popular 5 years ago in 2012.

the more i listen to it, the more i enjoy!

Alex
31-08-12, 04:37 PM
wish i knew about the extended mixes version, i purchased the version through itunes last night. :(

stop being so critical people, you cant expect the same sound that was popular 5 years ago in 2012.

I'll never enjoy Love Rain Down(listened a lot of times, because I thought like you). I don't expect sounds like 5 years ago, but a nice tunes like Wellenrausch and some other 2012 guys can do - subtle melodies, nice basslines, deep and dark soul in tracks. I'm not critical so much modthispny - I said which tracks I don't like and why and which tracks I like and why :) A lot of positive things on this album: Caught, Nothing Without Me, Soul Seeking, Don't Leave Until The Sunrise, Universe is Mine - I like them! Markus always tells us to follow our heart, so I said what I wanted.

modthispny
31-08-12, 05:13 PM
some of the instruments used in the vocals may sound soft and poppy, but the remixes will help with that.

the 4 strings remix of love rain down sounded better than the original IMO, can't wait to hear Mr. Pit, KhoMha, etc remixes.

Evening Twilight
31-08-12, 05:40 PM
where is that new Direction? You were talking the about it after 'do you dream?' release. Now we are two years older and I still can't see it...

modthispny
31-08-12, 05:59 PM
where is that new Direction? You were talking the about it after 'do you dream?' release. Now we are two years older and I still can't see it...

what do you mean?

also, can't believe how much better the extended versions are. i know it's the same song, but just sounds more complete.

buraksbt
31-08-12, 07:19 PM

Remixing Justin Bieber is very far from reality, your post is very exaggerated, theatrical. There was a quoite from one of the blogs of Markus, he says that we wont see him working with pop icons like Lady Gaga. Seriously when were you last saw him remixing any pop tracks or working with any people who isn't a part of EDM market? (forget about saying Sleepwalkers, it was like a hobby and didnt even released)

Yes unfortunately i noticed to Love Rain Down's melodie, it is a disappoint for me. That melodie is very popular novadays, all house DJs are using it once. Enjoyable track but being far from my expectations from this album.

buraksbt
31-08-12, 07:22 PM

+1 %100. Sometimes we critisize a bit overly (i do it too, many times), which is a bit selfishness i think :D

modthispny
31-08-12, 07:35 PM
for love rain down, wait until the remix, problem solved.

i'm really digging the album, been listening non-stop since last night.

Evening Twilight
31-08-12, 08:39 PM
modthispny I'm agree with you. I was talking to guys who were complaining on previous pages.

MarkusSchulz
31-08-12, 09:37 PM
Hey everyone,

I am glad to see you guys are still actively discussing topics here on the MS forums. I have kept away from forums for some time now because I dont think they accurately represent what is going on in the EDM scene. Nonetheless I check them regularly just to get the pulse of what the oldschool-dare I call you guys...elitist fans, are feeling.

Let's clarify some things about this album.

First the elephant in the room....the commercial vocal tracks.
Here is the plain truth of the matter. The main promoters are now only booking based on an artists radio plays. DJ mag is irrelevant in most situations, although it is still an important part of the overall picture. I get messages all the time from people...When are you coming to my city?? Well...the honest answer is, I won't be coming to your city unless a smaller promotor brings me to a smaller club or I get radio support and the main promotors book me. What I mean by radio support is regular rotation on the radio station's playlist. Guys like Dash Berlin, Avicii...etc have all blown up seemingly overnight just because of radio play. Many of these "producer" type DJs are playing mainstage sets ONLY because of their radio presence. Whether or not they can even mix is irrelevant. This has made me evaluate where I am as an artist. I love the music and the scene, and I also know that the gigs will dry up if I do not evolve as an artist. I started reaching out to singers and songwriters and the demos I got back were amazing. When they sent me the rough demo of "Until It's gone" I was blown away. But I also knew it was much more commercial than I have ever done. But how do you let a song like that which is perfect for radio get away? Seriously? If you want to see me playing on the mainstages and in the big clubs in your city then I need songs like that. The challenge now was making the track into something that I could be proud of, and I am 100% proud of the result.

I think the one thing that bothers me the most about everything is that, ok the more commercial tracks are not your thing, but even the tracks that I was 100% sure you guys would love get negative reactions. Meanwhile when I play these tracks out, in front of 20,000 people....or in the intimate settings of the rabbithole of clubs like Stereo in Montreal, crowds lose their mind. Their is an obvious disconnect between what is happening out there and what is happening in here. So what should I do? Keep making music for the message board fans who are slowly fading out of the scene and are so picky that they will complain about the volume of a snare drum while listening on laptop speakers or focus on the fans who come out and stay for an entire 10 hour set enjoying the moments we spend together? There is no cooler feeling than when I play CARRY ON and watching the crowd go crazy as the track builds up and climaxes, or the screams when the riff from LOOPS AND TINGS comes in. When I play FINISH LINE at the end of my sets I hear people singing the riff as they walk out of the club. Things like this is what make me smile, and get me excited to go back in the studio. Things like that are why I am making music. How can you not realize the magnitude of how music touches people lives when you get messages about people getting the lyrics to NOTHING WITHOUT ME tattoo?

I realized that not every track will be for everyone. That is why I made an album diverse and with 23 tracks. most albums are 10 tracks. I am sure you guys can find 10 tracks on here you would put on your ipod and enjoy. Let me try for you:

Carry On
Loops and Tings
Silence to the call
Deep in The night
Nothing Without Me
Triotonic
Soul Searching
Don't Leave Until the Sunrise
Digital Madness
Finish Line

What if the album was only those tracks? Instead I made a diverse album that will help me continue grow as an artist.

Another frustrating thing is that all summer long, on GDJB we have brought you some of the most amazing deeper tunes I have heard in a long time. Artists like Guy J, Wellenrausch, Styller, Tarkan...etc are amazing. Rex Mundi is on fire again. Nobody else supports these artists like we do, yet if you ask someone from an any of the message boards, I am David Guetta now. Like common people...lets be serious!

I don't know. I guess I will stay active here in this thread and debate/discuss whatever you want about this. I still do respect you guys and your knowledge and passion for the music. But I think the message boards have become totally disconnected with reality of the scene.

Markus

*going to get some popcorn.

modthispny
31-08-12, 10:06 PM
well said Markus. I agree with you 100%

c u at avalon soon =P

Evening Twilight
31-08-12, 10:16 PM
Exactly! I think that some people simply don't understand how this business work.
When I'm reading posts few of our members, posts full of complains, I think they would be satisfied, only if you would release an Album in deep Dakota or 'Soul Seeking'/'What Could Have Been'/ '65.4Hz' style...
I'm listener of GDJB since 7 or 8 years now, so guys trust me I know what you are missing for, but we have to realize that now, we are just small % of Markus fans.
Now he is on higher level of his career and 2 years ago, he could easly went same way as Sander did... but He is still here typing with us, and making for US tracks like Soul seeking and bringing talents like Wellenraush, Basil etc. Where else we can get that?
p.s.
sorry for my english guys

topereq
31-08-12, 10:35 PM
first of all i would like to thank your respose.

I don't know. I guess I will stay active here in this thread and debate/discuss whatever you want about this. I still do respect you guys and your knowledge and passion for the music. But I think the message boards have become totally disconnected with reality of the scene.

well, i don't fully agree with that statement. scene is not only ppl who go for Your gigs, but also ppl who listen to Your music & radioshow at their homes. over last few weeks i realize that number of people that are active on various trance forums (not only schulz.com, but also di.fm, trancefix etc.) is only a tiny % of your fans but we also represent the scene. we just expressing our opinions, which happen to be totally different from the response u get from the fans at Your gigs. the thing is, that people like me (any many others) expect something more from music than simple melody and catchy vocals (that works great @ big clubs and events). we love the tracks that have a soul, this special thing that makes you forget about the world and puts you in 'a state of trance(;))'. im sure that everybody agree that your previous albums had this special thing, this dark & melodic vibe. I've been supporting Your productions for many years, i listen to GDJB every week (i have the entire collection of the episodes, some of them are back from 2003). your previous albums & compilations were very isnpirational for me. and i hate to admit it but this album is just like any other album. there is nothing special in it, some of the tracks sounds very soulless and unispirational. i thought i will never say this, but in my opinion You lost your magic.
I understand that those tracks works great at the gigs. but home listeners are simply getting really tired of stuff like this. and its not only You , who make tracks for the clubs, but almost every other big name in the bussines.

Another frustrating thing is that all summer long, on GDJB we have brought you some of the most amazing deeper tunes I have heard in a long time. Artists like Guy J, Wellenrausch, Styller, Tarkan...etc are amazing. Rex Mundi is on fire again. Nobody else supports these artists like we do, yet if you ask someone from an any of the message boards, I am David Guetta now. Like common people...lets be serious!
as i stated before GDJB is one of 2 best weekly shows (the second is Mistique Music Showcase). You are probably the only DJ who really gives a damn about what you play. track selections, mixing & the flow make your set really special. Thank You for this.
and maybe that's the reason why we have so harsh opinions on the Scream. this album sounds very different from what 'home listeners' are used to.

peace.

topereq
31-08-12, 10:40 PM
I'm listener of GDJB since 7 or 8 years now, so guys trust me I know what you are missing for, but we have to realize that now, we are just small % of Markus fans.

i know, but we still can express our opinions. this forum is designed for users (fans) to write how we feel and what we think. not only the good ones but also the negative :)

Fede Big Room
31-08-12, 10:47 PM
Markus you have all my support. It's a very nice gesture on your part to come and explain all this things even when you don't have to. I see that you really care about everybody's opinion, I think it's really cool when an artist gets closer like this.

SergioS
31-08-12, 11:05 PM
But I think the message boards have become totally disconnected with reality of the scene.

That is the main reason why I'm not as active on message boards.

modthispny
31-08-12, 11:12 PM
Exactly! I think that some people simply don't understand how this business work.
When I'm reading posts few of our members, posts full of complains, I think they would be satisfied, only if you would release an Album in deep Dakota or 'Soul Seeking'/'What Could Have Been'/ '65.4Hz' style...
Now he is on higher level of his career and 2 years ago, he could easly went same way as Sander did... but He is still here typing with us, and making for US tracks like Soul seeking and bringing talents like Wellenraush, Basil etc. Where else we can get that?
p.s.
sorry for my english guys

don't even start with sander man.
i listened to him when nobody knew about him, now he won't even come down to sign autographs after a gig, shows up drunk, stopped playing long sets(dusk till doorn),doesn't even acknowledge the crowd when he's playing, etc. i still enjoy his sets from time to time, but have lost respect for him as far as his 'connection' with fans.

Evening Twilight
31-08-12, 11:21 PM
. i thought i will never say this, but in my opinion You lost your magic.

peace.

Ouch, not too strong?

MarkusSchulz
31-08-12, 11:59 PM
first of all i would like to thank your respose.

well, i don't fully agree with that statement. scene is not only ppl who go for Your gigs, but also ppl who listen to Your music & radioshow at their homes. over last few weeks i realize that number of people that are active on various trance forums (not only schulz.com, but also di.fm, trancefix etc.) is only a tiny % of your fans but we also represent the scene. we just expressing our opinions, which happen to be totally different from the response u get from the fans at Your gigs. the thing is, that people like me (any many others) expect something more from music than simple melody and catchy vocals (that works great @ big clubs and events). we love the tracks that have a soul, this special thing that makes you forget about the world and puts you in 'a state of trance(;))'. im sure that everybody agree that your previous albums had this special thing, this dark & melodic vibe. I've been supporting Your productions for many years, i listen to GDJB every week (i have the entire collection of the episodes, some of them are back from 2003). your previous albums & compilations were very isnpirational for me. and i hate to admit it but this album is just like any other album. there is nothing special in it, some of the tracks sounds very soulless and unispirational. i thought i will never say this, but in my opinion You lost your magic.
I understand that those tracks works great at the gigs. but home listeners are simply getting really tired of stuff like this. and its not only You , who make tracks for the clubs, but almost every other big name in the bussines.

as i stated before GDJB is one of 2 best weekly shows (the second is Mistique Music Showcase). You are probably the only DJ who really gives a damn about what you play. track selections, mixing & the flow make your set really special. Thank You for this.
and maybe that's the reason why we have so harsh opinions on the Scream. this album sounds very different from what 'home listeners' are used to.

peace.

#1 If I do not have a big enough presence in the scene, you can forget about listening at home because the radio show will be cancelled. You can look at Sirius as the first example of that. They have cut the GDJB down to only the first hour to make room for guys who have radio hits right now. There is now big pressure to keep up or be pushed aside. The sad fact is 90% of the tunes I play on a normal GDJB (which are amazing), flop in a live set. When I say flop, I am talking nobody moving on the floor, people leaving, people flipping you off and yelling to play harder. I have seen it all. This is a pretty uncomfortable feeling when you have the promoter who books you standing in the booth with you. You either realize quickly that you better rock the club or you will not be booked back.

#2: When you say "lacks soul" that is pretty vague because to some people this music has soul. I am going to make an assumption that you are talking about production technique. In my older productions (and in most older prog/trance tunes) the melody is hidden behind layers of sweeping synths, delays and efx. We produced like this back in the day and yes we had a strong core of fans but as they aged out of the scene new fans came in looking for something more bold. Now you take the strongest melody/lead and you put it right in the front for everyone to hear. The cutoff filters are usually opened up all the way and the subtle build ups have given way to a giant pitch bend. Again it goes back to either keep up or be pushed aside. The melodies in my tracks are the same style as before, just bolder and up front. The percussion elements are still the same, I use many softer claps and rides to leave room for more layers in sounds. Maybe you are not into this modern style of production, but when I listen to the older stuff I cringe at the production. If I would have known then what I know now!

#3: It is a shame that you say the radio show is one of your favorite shows on the radio, yet you judge me only on an album I have produced that was never intended for the message board people. I am going to keep doing what I am doing. And I will quote something I heard in a movie last week while on the airplane: "When are you going to realize that things will never be the way they used to be" (Finch to Stifler in American Reunion)

:)

modthispny
01-09-12, 01:15 AM
damn didn't know about the GDJB, that's a shame really.

in a way i kind of wish EDM wasn't so mainstream now, that way there would be a fine line between those 'radio hit producer's' and those that actually know about producing and dj'ing, but i can't be selfish as i know EDM going mainstream has it benefits too for the talent.

one way to really know if a DJ has sold-out is to see if they still do what they used to do before this bubble. for example, kaskade has gone mainstream, but in los angeles a few weeks ago, his staples center gig after-party set was 95% deep house, a lot of people were dissapointed(new-generation fans). new years last year, he played for 12 hrs(12 am to 12pm) at marquee las vegas and completely switched his set to deep house after around 4am. on the other hand, we have lost some DJ's too, sander van doorn used to play extended sets, now he shows up drunk, plays for 2 hours and leaves, very disappointing when the club is open until at least 6 am.

markus has been my favorite dj since i got into the scene at around 2008, i know it's hard for the old-time fans to accept this change, but we have it good with mr. schulz, it can be A LOT worst. if you miss the sound from back in the day, go listen to some james holden or something.

modthispny
01-09-12, 01:20 AM
Markus,

posted this thread over at TA. definitely more appreciative of you over there.

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=641493&forumid=60&s=#.UEFUW2ig5eY

Robert Swindon
01-09-12, 05:32 AM
Tracks I really like (In no particular order):

1: Markus Schulz & Ferry Corsten - Loops & Tings
2: Markus Schulz feat. Ana Diaz - Nothing Without Me
3. Markus Schulz, Elevation & Khomha - Triotonic
4: Markus Schulz - Soul Seeking
5: Markus Schulz feat. Adina Butar - Universe Is Mine
6: Markus Schulz feat. Sarah Howells - Tempted
7: Markus Schulz - Digital Madness (Extended Album Mix)
8: Markus Schulz feat. Ken Spector - Scream
9: Markus Schulz & Elevation - Finish Line
10: Markus Schulz & Mr.Pit - Push The Button
11: Markus Schulz & Arnej - Karbon
12: Markus Schulz & Wellenrausch - Silence To Call

I can't wait till Extended Versions and Remixes are launched!

WELL DONE MARKUS!!!

FingerBoy10
01-09-12, 06:43 AM
@MarkusSchulz... Haters gonna hate. The album is awesome! I've had Nothing Without Me on replay God only knows how many times. In general, all forums are disconnected with reality, no matter the issue related (music, movies, sports, you name it) It's really easy to judge and criticize, but jeez I cannot imagine what the workload of making a 23 tracks album must be. The creative process must be exhausting, and the result is quite pleasing I think.

Unless you go dubstep all the way (...please, just don't haha) I am going to keep supporting the evolution of Markus Schulz, the artist and brand as well as Coldharbour Recordings and its producers. Musicians must remain relevant to make a living and the sound must evolve to reach new territories. I love me some Eye Q Records techno and trance classics, but people wouldn't be actively listening to EDM if it would still sound like it did in 1994.

As soon as the CD format arrives to my local records provider, I'll surely add Scream to my collection. ;)

solarvision
01-09-12, 09:19 AM
Markus you have great support all over the world, don't let the very small percentage of forum-so called 'haters' put you down (I know they probably don't, but anyway..). To be honest I feel that a number of Scream tracks apart from Soul Seeking and Nothing Without Me still have to grow on me. I don't particularly like the style of some of the tracks, but I like the concept and the idea behind it. To make an album with 23 tracks you have to be really diverse and you'll have to make sure that no track sounds like another, and you must have accomplished this in my opinion. You're one of the very few artists who is succeeding the most in staying true to your own sound while slowly adapting to what the general public needs to listen, and you do this by getting a very good balance between the two. Some people even need to accept the difference between a radio set and a live set, by not expecting the same tunes to be played. To admit, I sometimes dislike a small number of tunes played on the world tour, but I know you play them as you think that they are the best for the particular crowd. And for who does not like the so called more 'mainstream' stuff, you have all your Dakota work and city compilations which should please the ears of your older listeners, being much more progressive and/or clubby. I would prefer much much more if you don't get trousy like some of the other DJs, but at the moment I'm satisfied by what you're doing and my DJMag vote reflects this. These were my thoughts and I wish you the best of luck with the album, and yes, more bookings and global recognition.

Wojtus
01-09-12, 09:57 AM
Ok, but if you listening MArkus Schulz since 2002 you can be disappointed if you heard Scream album. Its just democracy. Everyone wants to posting on topic

topereq
01-09-12, 10:35 AM
#1 If I do not have a big enough presence in the scene, you can forget about listening at home because the radio show will be cancelled. You can look at Sirius as the first example of that. They have cut the GDJB down to only the first hour to make room for guys who have radio hits right now. There is now big pressure to keep up or be pushed aside. The sad fact is 90% of the tunes I play on a normal GDJB (which are amazing), flop in a live set. When I say flop, I am talking nobody moving on the floor, people leaving, people flipping you off and yelling to play harder. I have seen it all. This is a pretty uncomfortable feeling when you have the promoter who books you standing in the booth with you. You either realize quickly that you better rock the club or you will not be booked back.

okay, now i see it. so you make & play type of tracks to get bigger & bigger gigs. well it's really sad to see that you're somehow forced to play & make commercial stuff instead of making and playing whatever you want. but it's your job, you have to make money out of it. well..

When you say "lacks soul" that is pretty vague because to some people this music has soul. I am going to make an assumption that you are talking about production technique. In my older productions (and in most older prog/trance tunes) the melody is hidden behind layers of sweeping synths, delays and efx. We produced like this back in the day and yes we had a strong core of fans but as they aged out of the scene new fans came in looking for something more bold. Now you take the strongest melody/lead and you put it right in the front for everyone to hear. The cutoff filters are usually opened up all the way and the subtle build ups have given way to a giant pitch bend. Again it goes back to either keep up or be pushed aside. The melodies in my tracks are the same style as before, just bolder and up front. The percussion elements are still the same, I use many softer claps and rides to leave room for more layers in sounds. Maybe you are not into this modern style of production, but when I listen to the older stuff I cringe at the production. If I would have known then what I know now! :)
the problem is that most of big names (including Markus Schulz) are producers & DJs at the same time. and they are focused on making this loud, noisy music for their live sets. and when you get more and more popular you make more and more noisy and commercial music. but for the last few years (as you were getting more popular) you've managed to produce some decent quality progressive trance stuff. i don't know what have changed (You or ppl that comes to your gigs that demand to listen to this brainless music) but with this album you seems to be following the trend.

#3: It is a shame that you say the radio show is one of your favorite shows on the radio, yet you judge me only on an album I have produced that was never intended for the message board people. I am going to keep doing what I am doing. And I will quote something I heard in a movie last week while on the airplane: "When are you going to realize that things will never be the way they used to be" (Finch to Stifler in American Reunion)

when it comes to listening to the gdjb i just try to separate 'markus the producer' from 'markus that amkes radioshow'. when i listen to your radioshow i feel the magic, when i listen to Scream i don't. simple as that. GDJB is last things that keeps me active on this forum. You often support producers that onone else supports, you play sets full of beautiful porgressive tunes, with excellent mixing and build-up. Thank you for this, i hope that will never change ;)

and thanks for this depressing quote lol , now im gonna listen to one of your Classic Showcase.

Robert Swindon
01-09-12, 10:38 AM
Markus Schulz & Mr.Pit - Push The Button :D :D :D EXTENDED MIX RELEASE PLEASE!!!

topereq
01-09-12, 10:42 AM
Ouch, not too strong?
hmm maybe. maybe he still have his magic, but it feels like he didn't use it for making Scream (with very few exceptions)

@MarkusSchulz... Haters gonna hate.

Markus you have great support all over the world, don't let the very small percentage of forum-so called 'haters' put you down (I know they probably don't, but anyway..).

please don't call me 'hater'. belive me , im very far from hating on Markus and his album. having different opinion on sth doesn't make me hater. i worte what i worte b'cos i care about MS and the things he does. and i had no intention of putting him down. i just wanted to let him know that there are ppl that want trance to be more than just a few beats & simple melody to dance. that's all

gdjblaci
01-09-12, 10:52 AM
Ok, but if you listening MArkus Schulz since 2002 you can be disappointed if you heard Scream album. Its just democracy. Everyone wants to posting on topic

why?! Why can you be disappointed? Find the best tracks at all, if you don't like the complete album.

fridaycoffee
01-09-12, 11:08 AM
one good idea would have been 2 cd's one for the older fans and one for the new ones :) i absolutely love carry on, nothing without me and scream..i have the feeling that many tracks could have ended up better, not just vocals and big room sounds, i want a Markus S artist that can be separated from the others by his sound...if this continues the line between will dissapear

solarvision
01-09-12, 11:17 AM
please don't call me 'hater'. belive me , im very far from hating on Markus and his album. having different opinion on sth doesn't make me hater. i worte what i worte b'cos i care about MS and the things he does. and i had no intention of putting him down. i just wanted to let him know that there are ppl that want trance to be more than just a few beats & simple melody to dance. that's all

I didn't refer to anyone particularly, I don't know much who the people are here. Maybe not everyone is a hater, I was referring to those who do not even try to accept music as it is nowadays.

Alex
01-09-12, 11:21 AM
Hey everyone,

I realized that not every track will be for everyone. That is why I made an album diverse and with 23 tracks. most albums are 10 tracks. I am sure you guys can find 10 tracks on here you would put on your ipod and enjoy. Let me try for you:

Carry On
Loops and Tings
Silence to the call
Deep in The night
Nothing Without Me
Triotonic
Soul Searching
Digital Madness
Finish Line

What if the album was only those tracks? Instead I made a diverse album that will help me continue grow as an artist.

Markus

OK, apologies for some of my hurting words. You're still one of my favourites producers and DJs on the globe and I'm going to do a mini-album of "Scream" album and like you said it contains about 13-14 tracks(the list you posted - the tracks I really like/love). With those 13-14 tracks the album is like Progression/DYD album :) Keep what you doing with GDJB shows and maybe a little one track for some old, disconnected with the scene fans - sweeping synth, efx(something like a gift :P )?

Rick Valentine
01-09-12, 11:37 AM
Interesting read, I can see why people are questioning the style of the album because it's totally different from what got us into Markus's music in the first place, but a Markus Schulz artist album has always been full of vocals and you can really experiment technically as an artist when you have your own album that's why some artists produce one or two breaks or chilled out tracks totally branching out their style.
Though I'm not a big fan of alot of the tracks on album i can hear the passion and the soul that went into producing this album and i can tell you now, if Markus was to do another Dakota album it would be shit hot!!!!
However i can see where Markus is coming from, about promoters and booking people who have radio plays etc, the scene has many sides to it that not everyone agrees with, and being a dj myself i have many issues with the scene here in the UK but you have to work with those issues and adjust alittle but while still doing something you love.
I'm no way at the level of Markus is as a dj but even i've had to change my sound slightly to get more gigs, I've even started playing house which I've always liked and always had a passion for along with trance music and now I'm getting more gigs than I've ever had by adjusting alittle, I'm even booked to do 7 gigs in Ibiza next year and possible a booking for 6 more and as you all know that's every djs dream and obviously along with every other dj i would not play something we don't have the passion for.
So sometimes it really is essential to make these changes but I'm pretty sure Markus will never completely leave the style he's known for over the past years, he is just broadening out his style.

modthispny
01-09-12, 11:49 AM
Markus Schulz & Mr.Pit - Push The Button :D :D :D EXTENDED MIX RELEASE PLEASE!!!

it's out. all of the extended mixes for scream are available on beatport. MUCH better buy IMO than iTunes.

topereq
01-09-12, 12:11 PM
i want a markus s artist that can be separated from the others by his sound...if this continues the line between will dissapear
qft :-) :-)

Wojtus
01-09-12, 12:53 PM
why?! Why can you be disappointed? Find the best tracks at all, if you don't like the complete album.

check the cheesy vocals on scream. I dont want to talk too much. Terrible material for not demanding listeners

buraksbt
01-09-12, 01:01 PM
I love new album, it is being above my expectations. None of the previous albums have vocal based tracks (for example Not the Same), melodies was always stronger, now in Scream some tracks have stronger vocals but melodies are still have the soul for me (like Scream and Sing Me Back To Life). There are so many tracks that i liked (actually all of the albums have some tracks that i dont like, it is very normal) and as for me this is one of the best albums in 2012, also it has best vocals track of 2012 for sure. I'm saying this again and again look at Caught's and Scream's melodies for example, perfectly matching with coldharbour sound, but they just lost something in their elements; i think this is a little recognition to the market. Nonetheless they are still good, when i heard Scream for the first time, i was about to scream :D

The thing is what i am complaining about how we will hear again tracks like First Time, Somewhere or The New World? Because tracks like Carry On doesn't fulfill our yearning to old tracks, or both Loop n Tings and Digital Madness won't even be a The New World. Now I can't feel that feeling from new tracks by even very underground DJs like Airwave neither. I was in love with many DJs tracks like Super8&Tab, Cosmic Gate, Ferry Corsten, Kyau&Albert, Gareth Emery, Duderstadt (they killed both their Duderstadt and Inpetto sound, what a shame!) etc. I still enjoy with them but i'm not folloing they anymore. Guetta and Avicii have tons of fans but i don't think that they have followers like us. Is Avicii have a forumsboard? Why not? That Scream tracks are very beautiful in comparition with those most appreciation collectors like Gareth's or Dash's tracks, also they have the soul which other tracks haven't. There is nothing lost or totally changed but the thing is we can't get a proper track that like the tracks even in 2008 (not so far) which we really missed. What happened to the beautiful crowd at ASOT 400 in 2009, we watched them live on internet. They all died? I think unfortunately they died. On the other hand as you can see there are a really visible line between the ways of Ferry and Markus. The ways that about following new scene are very different. And now we can still enjoy with some DJs and Labels which still didn't ruin their music quality like Coldharbour and Perfecto. This very exaggerated complains won't make them better. They are still carrying our music pleasure on. I'm a multi-lover. Yesterday i met with an earlier Allure track from 90's and also met with a Cher Lloyd track and i enjoyed with both of them. Not just because of that i can't wait for everyone to love every type of music, it would be unfair. Also my enjoy with several types of music doesn't make me a fan of all types of music. And of course i won't be just because of the change in DJs styles. I'm a trance-listener. And other guys who are oldschool trance-listeners in here just talks about what they want, and i think they all deserve that in the past. Now I just wonder if we will get any tracks like the old ones in the future? I am not meaning a full album; just some tracks, maybe sometimes. They can recharge people who still being here on forums who DJs made musics just for them back in time and who now about to be forgotten. :)

*Sorry for my English and improper sentences.

Kjuna
01-09-12, 01:19 PM
Huge respect to Markus for sincere words about the shit that is happening in the scene right now. It is sad but I really understand that life is difficult & if you wanna survive - you have to do things you've never done before.

If there is an album full of cheesy tracks...well..that's ok until these tracks invade livesets. It is ok until these track are in your radioshow. Leave them for MTV charts. I purchased tickets for your gig in Moscow on Sept 21st right after they became available. I can't wait for the show & your set but please keep this "radio hits" away from livesets.

Early (say in June 2010 when you played at Milk in Moscow) when I was waiting for the show there was no matter who's gonna play before & after you because your set was going to be just epic. Now I'm afraid that your set may turn into something that is not usual for you because this set is an album tour set. And now I'm really waiting for the other artists to be announced because this can change a lot.

PS: Huge respect for beating this Dash Berlin style :D Both for tracks & mixing skills.

CuervoELektro
01-09-12, 01:30 PM
Good discussion ...Good luck with your new album and I hope to see and hear you soon in some good dark club tucked into the rabbit hole.

Ericc B
01-09-12, 02:32 PM
Dear Markus,

First of all I take my hat off to you for coming here and replying to our criticism. That really shows character and makes you stand out among your colleagues, who comfortably hide behind their hired Facebook marketing employees. At least you have the balls to interact. Much much appreciated.

Nevertheless I am saddened deeply by your replies.

First off I'm actually insulted by you categorizing us as "forum people". Yes people who actually still visit forums and take the time to write stuff there and read others comments are small in numbers nowadays compared to the lazy masses on the social media who only consume pre-fabricated marking bla and add zero themselves except maybe “MaRkUsSsS wHeN aRe YoU cOmmmInG 2 mY cOuNtYYYY???!!!!” below every post. And we “forum people” probably are not the current 15 year olds either. Heck 99% of those don't even know what a forum is. But that doesn't excuse the current industry trend to put us away as an insignificant bunch of frustrated old people who complain about everything that is different from 2004 and doesn't resemble what they used to love in the past. What we are are people who have loved you music all our lives and are probably the last ones standing of those who made it possible for you to become a DJ and a producer. We were the ones buying your first albums, singles and compilations when you were still small potatoes. We were the ones screaming our heads off at your gigs. We were the ones who fell in love with your music and your sets when you were still making them from them heart, from what you truly believe in, from who you really are. Uninfluenced by popularity poll ratings, drugged up managers and promoters or sales figures.

What you are now saying basically is that you have to compromise yourself under the commercial pressure of the pop dance explosion. That you now produce new “radio friendly” vocal tracks to please the networks, that you adjust your GDJB programming to avoid being kicked of the air and that you compromise your live sets because money hungry promoters bow to the pressure of crowds that only consist of 15 year old nitwits who get bored if they don’t get their fabricated built in SHM style pitch bend climax every 3 minutes. And that is a big big shame.

Why? Let me tell you man. You cannot stay on top of the food chain forever. Noone can. Yes you can prolongue your career by compromising into every new trend and the next, the way guys like Tiesto and Armin are doing, but like them you will become a total caricature of yourself. Because what you have to do to stay up there goes more and more against everything you really are inside. And even if you keep on compromising, at some point people WILL spit you out because you are like us. Too old. Not cool anymore. You will end up the Rubens Barichello of dance music and get dumped in a back alley through the backdoor without so much as an appreciative farewell party.

Obviously you are not the first to come to this point in your career. How do you think people like Sasha or Nick Warren or John Digweed felt at the end of the 90’s acid rush in the UK? When all of a sudden new guys like Ferry Corsten and Paul van Dyk stormed the scene with their new and more energetic interpretation of trance music? It’s the exact same thing. But what they did is keep their dignity. They accepted that a new thing had arrived and that the new thing was more popular with the crowds. But they NEVER COMPROMISED. They kept on doing music the way their hearts told them to do music. For the people who appreciate that style. Maybe less in numbers from there on, but loyal as a dog. Because they are connected through the same musical values.

And guess what? All of them are still around, touring the globe and playing in clubs to crowds adoring them for what they do. Without any compromise. They don’t give a flying fuck if radio stations wanna play their radio shows or not. They don’t need to release radio tracks with cheap nameless singers who can’t sing fuck live (you should go and see an Armin Only show if you have a chance, it’s hilarious). They don’t have to star in cheezy videos for those tracks. They don’t have to do gigs for hostile crowds holding up phones all night long and giving you the finger for not giving them instant climax tracks or childish heart signs every 10 seconds. They don’t care. Because they are completely independent and they do what they love. And the people who come to see them and buy their new stuff love it from A to Z. And they always have. That Markus, is where real gratification lies. Not in trying to be the hero of the 15 year olds. They will spit you out the moment the new fad comes on stage and forget you ever existed.

Unfortunately your career seems to have been taken over completely by power and fame hungry managers and promoters who are only interested in being the biggest and making the most money. Who force release schedules upon you. Who force you to make radio friendly vocal crap. Tracks that you should be ashamed off. Who force you to adjust your radio show format. Who force you to headline festivals. And force you to play this constantly further derailing aggressive shit music that every producer and his dog is now making and has diverted so far off from your own original Markus Schulz sound.

You know what? Fuck them. You don’t need that shit. Do you really feel a need to compete or even compare yourself with Dash Berlin? The Milli Vanilli of trance? A completely fake act fabricated by Armada marketing and a bunch of studio engineers? Come on man, you are so much better than that. You are one of the few remaining originals. One of the few who actually knows how to DJ, how to produce a track with a unique and distinctive sound and how to compile a legendary compilation.

Remember that DJ gigs and festivals are not what will eventually be your musical legacy. They are here for a second and are gone the next. Vaporized into total silence. Witnessed by what on a global scale is only a handful of people. What really forms your musical legacy are your own productions and your compilations. And to some lesser extent your radio sets too. Those are heard time and again by a thousand fold of people compared to the numbers at your gigs. And locked into eternity in peoples homes, cars and mobile players.

Compromise those and you compromise the essence of yourself as an artist. If you don’t untie yourself from this commercial madness you will eventually end up in the trash bin with all the other pop stars.

f00sp4m
01-09-12, 02:53 PM
First off, thanks to Markus for taking the time to come and address a small group of passionate fans. Not every artist would do that. Regardless of where you come down on the issue, you have to appreciate that simple fact.

If you take a step outside of the narrow world of EDM, then you'll realize that the phenomenon you're witnessing is much bigger than dance music. The fate of EDM is the fate of all things that start small/underground and become large/popular. It happened to punk, it happened to grunge, it happened to rap, it happened to snowboarding/skateboarding, and a million other things throughout history new and old. As things attract more attention, they change. New artists enter the fold, and they bring along their own ideas that are incorporated into the existing environment; older members of the scene are influenced by the new ideas, and vice versa.

For you, as a fan, there are upsides and there are downsides. The upside is that with EDM everywhere, you get to see your favorite artist play live more frequently. As far as the US goes, there's a major EDM festival almost every few months. That doesn't take into account the rash of new clubs and events that are popping up in all of the local scenes. No longer do you have to wait for the once a year festival, nor do you have to travel halfway around the world to a Spanish island to hear a nice live set. You might complain that the average festival set isn't really your thing, and I'd agree. An hour of pure high tempo hits is not really the musical journey that I'm looking for at a live set. BUT, for every festival, there's a lot more 6-9 hour gigs at places like Avalon, Pacha, and Space. The potential downside is that your thing, whether it's music, art, or whatever, changes. Maybe you like some of the changes, and maybe you hate some of the changes. But there will be change.

You can criticize the artists for changing, but don't forget that their/our passion is also their JOB. Never forget that. Perhaps you think that art is too pure to be commercialized, and that the art is all that matters. I'm sure you can find some cave dwelling ascetics that agree with you, but who the fuck wants to live in a cave? All the greatest artists throughout history have had patrons. Da Vinci, Michelangelo, etc. If your job is art, then you need to make things that your customers/patrons will purchase. If you don't, take to the hills, forage for berries, and live in the cave. I totally respect those that make that choice, but I like my espresso maker.

As a fan, you have choices. You can pine for the days of old, complain about the current state of affairs, hope that everyone will see the light and return like the prodigal son, and listen to your old records. You could also enjoy the upsides of the change, and hopefully still find enough of what you always loved to keep you happy. Every once in a while you can hang out with your other elite true fans and mock the excesses and silliness of some of the new trends. Nobody would hold this against you, and I can imagine DJs themselves have a bit of fun doing this. You can also crawl into a hole of despair and anger, and use whatever opportunities you have to lash out at the bastards that ruined your thing; you can despise your former heroes for changing, all the while hanging on to that little sliver of hope that one day they'll see the error of their ways; glhf.

As far as Markus is concerned, he seems to be striking a pretty fair balance. No, I don't like all the tracks on the new album, but there are also some pretty good tunes. Also, it's not a Dakota album, don't forget that. Also, before you continue criticizing, try checking out a live show @ the Avalon or Space. I think it's hard to criticize Markus after you walk out of an 8 (or even 10!!) hour musical journey. No other DJ that I see regularly comes close to fucking with Markus' live shows. He shuts down Pacha every time; the club owner is up there on the stage asking him to kill it and he's still playing songs with the lights on. The Avalon sets are just legendary; if you haven't been you need to go. I've seen him at Space the last 2 years during UMF, and every time was at least an 8 hour journey of beauty. As long as those nights keep happening, I could care less about the cheesy vocal track here and there.

Kabra
01-09-12, 04:57 PM
There's nothing to add after Ericc's post. He expressed everything i would like to say. I hope Markus will reply to this one.

Sheedy
01-09-12, 05:18 PM
Markus, I think it is great that you still maintain this same level of interaction with your fans as you did 5 or 10 years ago regardless of international stature . This is the reason why I go to all of your UK gigs and have followed you and your career as an artist and DJ, regardless of musical direction for a long time.

I think your insight into the industry is interesting, makes a lot of sense and definitely explains your thinking behind the album. With regards to the actual album, I knew it was going to be what you said it is, an album aimed at a broad range of people, it's clear if you compare this album to 'Progression'. Albums like Progression and Above & Beyond's Tri-State from around that time were listening experiences, the tracks were masterfully mixed, the album flowed. It's obvious that this album is not a listening experience in that sense, and that is something I have taken into account before judging this album.

There are tracks on the album that I like, some that I don't like and some that I absolutely love.

'Nothing Without Me' is amazing and I need to hear you play this at the Warehouse Project in Manchester in October, it will make my night. 'Tempted' is equally huge and 'Carry On' is massive. The none vocal tracks Triotonic, Digital Madness, Loops & Tings, Soul Seeking, Finish Line, Go!, Karbon, Push The Button, all big tracks that I will definitely be playing in my sets and radio show. Add the Intro, Caught and a couple of others and thats more than half the album.

Let's have it right, most artist albums these days are rubbish. PVD, Ferry, Above & Beyond, Armin artist albums? Rubbish. Generally from an artist album you expect to like 2 maybe 3 songs maximum no matter who made it. There's no way I would play 12 or 13 songs off one of those guys artist albums in my sets or radio show. No chance. That says alot about Markus and this album. Yes he's produced some cheese, so what? Theres more than 20 tracks on the album. The cheese is not aimed at me so I don't care about those tracks. Every album has bad tracks in somebodies opinion. The tracks that are aimed at me, I love.

Let's look at it this way, there's more tracks on this album that I like than I liked on Do You Dream? and Progression and I absolutely loved those albums.

Artist albums do not fully represent the sound of the DJ who produced it. It's a dirty industry. I judge Markus on his live sets, his record label, his radio show and his mix compilations like I would any DJ. His live sets never ever disappoint, his record label has been churning out hit after hit since it begun, his radio show is as consistent as anybodies, always packed with new music from producers I've never even heard of and his city compilations are masterful. Who gives a shit about an artist album? And if an artist album is actually important to anybody, listen to his Dakota albums which are unreal.

The only time I would get worried that Markus was going downhill is when his sets become 25 Markus tracks in a row with no structure and basic mixing. Fortunately there is nobody better in the industry at set building and supporting music other than his own than Markus, so everybody needs to chill out.

topereq
01-09-12, 06:44 PM
There's nothing to add after Ericc's post. He expressed everything i would like to say. I hope Markus will reply to this one.

^. it was excellent to read, and I fully agree with him.

Sivro
01-09-12, 09:33 PM
WOW!! Thank you so much, Markus, for taking the time to come and address your most critical fans right here on the forums instead of a tiny snippet in some blog or interview like most others would do. My respect for you grows more and more every time you do something like this! The fact that you go on to explain many things that we may not understand because of the business end of the scene makes things all the better.

However, Ericc B has really summarized a lot of my feelings about your sound lately. (Really looking forward to a response to him!) It's kind of like that "Gain the whole world, but lose your soul" thing. I think Ericc makes a really good point when he brings up the fact that albums, compilations, etc. will remain here many years after you have left the spotlight and dancefloor, but more importantly, please do not fall into this "haters gonna hate" mindset like I've seen some other fans posting here --- this is NOT true for people here on the forum. I'm probably far less critical than they can be, but I know for a fact that they are NOT haters (although there probably are a few who just can't think beyond "THIS ISNT OLDSCHOOL CLHR SOUND WTF!!!" in the same way that some people cling to 140bpm and say anything but 140 isn't Trance). They are very passionate fans who have been here for you longer than most people and they were there for you when no one really knew who you were while also continuing to buy your music in a world of piracy and file sharing and see as many of your live shows as possible. They've been fans of yours since the beginning and your sound has completely changed since then, so it's probably worrysome at times.

While I may have only become a fan around 2007/2008 and rarely post here, I have gone back and listened to a lot of your older work over the years (still do!) and I can totally see where they are coming from. These fans are good people who have nothing but respect for you (perhaps their tone could be a little more respectful at times, though...I will say that much! :x) But when they say you have lost your magic, in many ways, I can see where they are coming from and on some level I do agree. The Markus Schulz sound that was heard in your remixes of Ladyblue, Talk Like A Stranger, Tranquility, or tracks like Clear Blue, I Am, Red Eye to Miami, Let It Go, etc. feels like it is kinda long gone now. "Return to Coldharbour" has been replaced by "Big Room Reconstruction" and while I admittedly love the vast majority of these big room reconstructions, I am anxiously awaiting some kind of return to coldharbour some day.

Now, I haven't listened to the full Scream album yet (I've been saving it for the drive up to NYC to see you tonight at Best Buy Theater) so I am not going to talk about it or judge it, but I would be lying if I said I'm not nervous about this album being very commercialized. (And yes, I know that there is a big distinct difference between a Markus Schulz album and a Dakota album.) However, your explanation does help ease a bit of that and provide more understanding and I thank you so much for that, and time will be the ultimate test as some tracks may have grown on me (like Rex Mundi's Shocking Blue from LA12). And from your DJing, as Sheedy mentioned, I think you make it very clear to us that you still put a lot of effort into finding those deep gems from otherwise unknown producers for GDJB and you take us on a long journey with your extended solo sets. (Thanks again for playing Clear Blue at Pacha in February, btw! It was a magical moment...Clear Blue was the track that got me into your sound in the first place!) and there isn't a person here who has stopped going to your shows or listened to GDJB all together.

Regardless of Scream, you are still my favorite DJ by far and again the fact that you continually make an effort to come and face your most harsh critics makes me respect you all the more. Simply put, NO ONE else does that. NO ONE explains their actions or their situation to their fans. They just go with it and leave old fans baffled, confused, and angry, while the newer fans circle the wagons and blindly defend their new hero yet can't name 3 or more tracks they have done. I just pray that you won't ever get like that and ignore us and/or hold things against us. I'd say the primary reason for the outrage is simply ignorance and lack of understanding, which makes it all the more and important as well as appreciated that you do take the time to respond, and respond HONESTLY.

Thank you for not turning your back on us. (And for keeping the forums open!!) See you tonight!

MarRey
01-09-12, 11:23 PM
It's something amazing Markus that you are with us :) We are with you and you know it :) Unfortunately people loving Trouse/Electro tracks and they think that Progressive Trance is boring. Of course, I'm not a fan of this album, but I found some BIG tracks as expected from you like Finish Line and especially Triotonic :) Thanks again that you are with us :) Cheers and keep doing what you do :)

chimera
02-09-12, 09:08 AM
...reading this thread has me saying "wow" over and over. i won't comment on the album until i get through the whole thing, but i will comment on people's reactions. constructive criticism is one thing, but for the life of me i don't get the negative backlash like markus personally hurt someone. if you don't like the album then you don't like it, everyone is entitled to an opinion and every artist, brand, whatever is entitled to map our their career as they see fit. personally i'm so tired of people acting as if they are personally offended by someone remixing a mainstream track or someone doing a collaboration with a mainstream artist. if it you don't like it then don't listen and if you have to express your unhappiness try to do it in a way that isn't so totally negative. i'll be the first to admit i'm not as excited for the dance scene as a whole like i was 10, 5 or even 3 years ago but you have to grow with the times and appreciate each piece of music for what it is. hopefully i enjoy markus' latest album, but even if i don't i'll still support him because i like what coldharbour does as a label.

Arjona
02-09-12, 10:48 AM
Make the music that is deep inside u. Dont make music just to get gigs and get noticed or to appear on MTV. Nobody will respect ur work as they know why it was made. Some music breathes a breath of life from the producer. These works are masterpieces. U have made a lot of them Markus. Keep up the amazing soulful work u can make and drop the get me noticed stuff. Its not doing u any good. As u developed a massive following who respected ur work so much they will not respect a massive change just for that reason. Ur better than this Markus. The past few year ive followed ur sound since the day u supported deep chemistry and ive watched the scene change so much. I chased it last year and Rejection made me notice what REAL music is.

Keep it real mate. U Know The Score. Afterall uve been around the block as they say.

ika
02-09-12, 12:04 PM
First of all I must say that Ericc B and Sivro sums up my feelings perfectly.
I respect people who have the courage to be honest with those they love or admire. I think Markus deserve our honesty. Criticism is necessary and useful. Nowadays if you don't like something your considered a hater. I think that sycophantic, uncritical, ass-kissing fans ('fams') are the worst. Most people tell you only what they think you want to hear... so I hope that you (Markus) appreciate our honesty.
I don't want to pretend that i like your new styl as much as the old. Pitch bend...that is the trend I hope goes out of trance soon!
I can't say that I like all the tracks from SCREAM. Love Rain Down - typical SHM/Avicii sound. Scream - terrible. Universe is Mine - her voice irritates me, Push the Button not my thing but that's just my opinion. There are tracks on the album that I already like ;) Nothing Without Me - I loved this from the very first moment I heard it. I am glad you discovered Ana. 'Silence to the call' ohhhh Wellenrausch (Markus - one of the sexiest male voices I've ever heard ). Soul Seeking (a little bit oldschool.), Loops and Tings, Digital Madness. This is going to be an Album you have to heard a few times to grow on you.

Its not my favorite album but you are still my favorite Dj, GDJB is till my fav radioshow, CLHR is still my fav label. I will always support Coldharbour heroes like Basil, Tucandeo, Rex, Wellenrausch coz they are keeping the real coldharbour sound alive !

btw You once said (chatroom) " Let's just say the current sound of what people think is trance, is not what I got into this scene for. It is not what I signed up for...I am angry at the trance scene right now so I have to make some tracks that express what I am feeling "

Kjuna
02-09-12, 02:21 PM
"personally i'm so tired of people acting as if they are personally offended by someone remixing a mainstream track or someone doing a collaboration with a mainstream artist."

This!

Man, when you love coldharbour sound & soul so much & The Man that was at its roots have been always building his career around this sound any step aside will be as an offence to the people who admire Markus for that particular music we got used to.

CarlosSR
02-09-12, 07:06 PM
I love Triotonic, that's on constantly replay. That and Silence to the Call, Finish Line, Karbon, Push the Button, Don't Leave Before the Sunrise.

Some of the vocals have grown on me, overall the album has something for everyone.

jdub889
03-09-12, 02:05 AM
i like some songs on the album. i don't like others. such is life.

that being said, extended mixes are already out! fuck yeah.

bassembm1
03-09-12, 12:15 PM
Hey everyone,

I am glad to see you guys are still actively discussing topics here on the MS forums. I have kept away from forums for some time now because I dont think they accurately represent what is going on in the EDM scene. Nonetheless I check them regularly just to get the pulse of what the oldschool-dare I call you guys...elitist fans, are feeling.

Let's clarify some things about this album.

First the elephant in the room....the commercial vocal tracks.
Here is the plain truth of the matter. The main promoters are now only booking based on an artists radio plays. DJ mag is irrelevant in most situations, although it is still an important part of the overall picture. I get messages all the time from people...When are you coming to my city?? Well...the honest answer is, I won't be coming to your city unless a smaller promotor brings me to a smaller club or I get radio support and the main promotors book me. What I mean by radio support is regular rotation on the radio station's playlist. Guys like Dash Berlin, Avicii...etc have all blown up seemingly overnight just because of radio play. Many of these "producer" type DJs are playing mainstage sets ONLY because of their radio presence. Whether or not they can even mix is irrelevant. This has made me evaluate where I am as an artist. I love the music and the scene, and I also know that the gigs will dry up if I do not evolve as an artist. I started reaching out to singers and songwriters and the demos I got back were amazing. When they sent me the rough demo of "Until It's gone" I was blown away. But I also knew it was much more commercial than I have ever done. But how do you let a song like that which is perfect for radio get away? Seriously? If you want to see me playing on the mainstages and in the big clubs in your city then I need songs like that. The challenge now was making the track into something that I could be proud of, and I am 100% proud of the result.

I think the one thing that bothers me the most about everything is that, ok the more commercial tracks are not your thing, but even the tracks that I was 100% sure you guys would love get negative reactions. Meanwhile when I play these tracks out, in front of 20,000 people....or in the intimate settings of the rabbithole of clubs like Stereo in Montreal, crowds lose their mind. Their is an obvious disconnect between what is happening out there and what is happening in here. So what should I do? Keep making music for the message board fans who are slowly fading out of the scene and are so picky that they will complain about the volume of a snare drum while listening on laptop speakers or focus on the fans who come out and stay for an entire 10 hour set enjoying the moments we spend together? There is no cooler feeling than when I play CARRY ON and watching the crowd go crazy as the track builds up and climaxes, or the screams when the riff from LOOPS AND TINGS comes in. When I play FINISH LINE at the end of my sets I hear people singing the riff as they walk out of the club. Things like this is what make me smile, and get me excited to go back in the studio. Things like that are why I am making music. How can you not realize the magnitude of how music touches people lives when you get messages about people getting the lyrics to NOTHING WITHOUT ME tattoo?

Carry On
Loops and Tings
Silence to the call
Deep in The night
Nothing Without Me
Triotonic
Soul Searching
Digital Madness
Finish Line

Markus

Well Said Markus , the scene now is judging by radio tracks , we need to see u always alive and in the top 10 , I'm Supporting you always ,,
Greetings from Egypt :)

Serious Danger
03-09-12, 08:32 PM
This is everything I wanted to say, but couldnt find the proper words to say it in. Thank you Eric...kuddos to you for typing what has been in all of our minds.

Dear Markus,

First of all I take my hat off to you for coming here and replying to our criticism. That really shows character and makes you stand out among your colleagues, who comfortably hide behind their hired Facebook marketing employees. At least you have the balls to interact. Much much appreciated.

Nevertheless I am saddened deeply by your replies.

First off I'm actually insulted by you categorizing us as "forum people". Yes people who actually still visit forums and take the time to write stuff there and read others comments are small in numbers nowadays compared to the lazy masses on the social media who only consume pre-fabricated marking bla and add zero themselves except maybe “MaRkUsSsS wHeN aRe YoU cOmmmInG 2 mY cOuNtYYYY???!!!!” below every post. And we “forum people” probably are not the current 15 year olds either. Heck 99% of those don't even know what a forum is. But that doesn't excuse the current industry trend to put us away as an insignificant bunch of frustrated old people who complain about everything that is different from 2004 and doesn't resemble what they used to love in the past. What we are are people who have loved you music all our lives and are probably the last ones standing of those who made it possible for you to become a DJ and a producer. We were the ones buying your first albums, singles and compilations when you were still small potatoes. We were the ones screaming our heads off at your gigs. We were the ones who fell in love with your music and your sets when you were still making them from them heart, from what you truly believe in, from who you really are. Uninfluenced by popularity poll ratings, drugged up managers and promoters or sales figures.

What you are now saying basically is that you have to compromise yourself under the commercial pressure of the pop dance explosion. That you now produce new “radio friendly” vocal tracks to please the networks, that you adjust your GDJB programming to avoid being kicked of the air and that you compromise your live sets because money hungry promoters bow to the pressure of crowds that only consist of 15 year old nitwits who get bored if they don’t get their fabricated built in SHM style pitch bend climax every 3 minutes. And that is a big big shame.

Why? Let me tell you man. You cannot stay on top of the food chain forever. Noone can. Yes you can prolongue your career by compromising into every new trend and the next, the way guys like Tiesto and Armin are doing, but like them you will become a total caricature of yourself. Because what you have to do to stay up there goes more and more against everything you really are inside. And even if you keep on compromising, at some point people WILL spit you out because you are like us. Too old. Not cool anymore. You will end up the Rubens Barichello of dance music and get dumped in a back alley through the backdoor without so much as an appreciative farewell party.

Obviously you are not the first to come to this point in your career. How do you think people like Sasha or Nick Warren or John Digweed felt at the end of the 90’s acid rush in the UK? When all of a sudden new guys like Ferry Corsten and Paul van Dyk stormed the scene with their new and more energetic interpretation of trance music? It’s the exact same thing. But what they did is keep their dignity. They accepted that a new thing had arrived and that the new thing was more popular with the crowds. But they NEVER COMPROMISED. They kept on doing music the way their hearts told them to do music. For the people who appreciate that style. Maybe less in numbers from there on, but loyal as a dog. Because they are connected through the same musical values.

And guess what? All of them are still around, touring the globe and playing in clubs to crowds adoring them for what they do. Without any compromise. They don’t give a flying fuck if radio stations wanna play their radio shows or not. They don’t need to release radio tracks with cheap nameless singers who can’t sing fuck live (you should go and see an Armin Only show if you have a chance, it’s hilarious). They don’t have to star in cheezy videos for those tracks. They don’t have to do gigs for hostile crowds holding up phones all night long and giving you the finger for not giving them instant climax tracks or childish heart signs every 10 seconds. They don’t care. Because they are completely independent and they do what they love. And the people who come to see them and buy their new stuff love it from A to Z. And they always have. That Markus, is where real gratification lies. Not in trying to be the hero of the 15 year olds. They will spit you out the moment the new fad comes on stage and forget you ever existed.

Unfortunately your career seems to have been taken over completely by power and fame hungry managers and promoters who are only interested in being the biggest and making the most money. Who force release schedules upon you. Who force you to make radio friendly vocal crap. Tracks that you should be ashamed off. Who force you to adjust your radio show format. Who force you to headline festivals. And force you to play this constantly further derailing aggressive shit music that every producer and his dog is now making and has diverted so far off from your own original Markus Schulz sound.

You know what? Fuck them. You don’t need that shit. Do you really feel a need to compete or even compare yourself with Dash Berlin? The Milli Vanilli of trance? A completely fake act fabricated by Armada marketing and a bunch of studio engineers? Come on man, you are so much better than that. You are one of the few remaining originals. One of the few who actually knows how to DJ, how to produce a track with a unique and distinctive sound and how to compile a legendary compilation.

Remember that DJ gigs and festivals are not what will eventually be your musical legacy. They are here for a second and are gone the next. Vaporized into total silence. Witnessed by what on a global scale is only a handful of people. What really forms your musical legacy are your own productions and your compilations. And to some lesser extent your radio sets too. Those are heard time and again by a thousand fold of people compared to the numbers at your gigs. And locked into eternity in peoples homes, cars and mobile players.

Compromise those and you compromise the essence of yourself as an artist. If you don’t untie yourself from this commercial madness you will eventually end up in the trash bin with all the other pop stars.

Rick Valentine
03-09-12, 09:09 PM
Just remember people this isn't Markus's new sound that will stick with him for the next few years of his career, the sound you will hear in his every release, every gig, i feel this was just a new experiment as i said before i don't feel he will change his style after this album.
Alot of you have some fair points regarding the scene and the album but some of you are going on like this is the end of the "deep bass big room progressive & trance " style we know him for!!!!

MarkusFTW
04-09-12, 12:19 AM
Just came back from the Labour of Love gig in Toronto Canada...

I'm actually new to this forum as a writer but I often come to read the "old guys'" comments.

For your information, tracks that were played live from the Scream album:

Our moment
Carry On (Stop doubting, it is purely insane live)
Digital Madness
Soul Seeking
Nothing without me (OMG!)
Scream
Silence to the call
Karbon
Finish Line
Triotonic
Loops & Tings
Push the button

Markus played for 4,5 hours and punished the entire Toronto crowd with dark and techy beats from 3:30 to 8:00 in a room so hot that water dripped from the ceiling. Well folks, people in masses until 8 in the morning because they enjoyed it so much.
Markus has that connection with the crowd and intensity that no DJ has anymore. You can actually feel and see how much fun he gets from doing amazing live sets for us.

Experience livesets! Period

Then tell him his new album sucks if you dare...

P.S: Thanks Markus for one of the best sets of my life. You should play with that level of aggressiveness in Montreal when you come back to Stereo!

chimera
04-09-12, 08:25 AM
"personally i'm so tired of people acting as if they are personally offended by someone remixing a mainstream track or someone doing a collaboration with a mainstream artist."

This!

Man, when you love coldharbour sound & soul so much & The Man that was at its roots have been always building his career around this sound any step aside will be as an offence to the people who admire Markus for that particular music we got used to.

first off not a man. second, it's the biggest waste of time to get worked up about an artist or whomever trying something different; i wish people would put this much effort into stuff that actually matters or affects them in a real way. i've been a supporter of markus and coldharbour for years and years. i like some of the tracks on the new album and i don't like some, but so is life. am i offended that he made the tracks i don't like? not at all. do you know why? because in the grand scheme of things there are way more important things for me to direct my energy toward. also, honestly it's completely disrespectfully to support people for years then when they have a different interpretation of things just jump on them like they've ruined your life. it's a song or an album or even an entire year tour of something you don't like; but whatever it is, for certain it is not your life. fans shouldn't try to make artists feel bad for wanting to sell albums or get better gigs. a lot of old schoolers and people pretending to be old schoolers like to get themselves worked up and complain, but we all know full and well some commercial track got 99% of you into the scene. i'll be the first to admit in the late 1990s/early 2000s i listened to some questionable stuff, but it got me to this point. it's definitely unfortunate when someone completely changes their style, but in this case it's one album and even then just some songs. provide constructive criticism then move forward and if you can't do it then hold back from lashing out.

CarlosSR
04-09-12, 06:50 PM
Well, the way I see it, he gives us one of the best shows on a weekly basis; the City Compilations are second to none, and the Dakota alias is more of the style that we want. So when Markus releases his artist album, and there are a few mainstream tracks on it, I analyze it as it is; an artist album under his name with him experimenting with new sounds.

Obviously as in any CD compilation or album, there will be songs I don't like.

But on the awesome meter we have:

1. GDJB
2. City Compilations
3. Dakota
4. Supports smaller artists by playing their music on the show.

IDK, I just see the Scream album as a stand alone experiment and not a sign that OMG Markus sold out! LOL.

But that's me, I don't want to rain on someone's parade if I don't like a song, I just listen to the ones I do like. Simple, no stress, no broken dishes and no kung fu fighting :P

Besides, these things are a cycle, this year I think the show has gotten better with music from the likes of Basil, Wellenrausch, Rex Mundi, etc.

P.S. Markus or anyone at CH, sorry to threadjack, but is there going to be another Big Room Recons EP like last year?

Sivro
04-09-12, 07:05 PM
After hearing the album all the way through, out of 23 tracks, I can say that I enjoyed 9 of them. My favorite tracks are definitely Soul Seeking and Nothing Without Me, but Universe is Mine and Love Rain Down are probably my two least favorite tracks. Still not a fan of Adina's voice, and I think Carry On and Scream will have to grow on me as I'm not crazy about them now, but I can see the appeal during a live set I guess, similar to how Caught can be a goosebumps moment when hearing it live, but nowhere close when listening on GDJB.

Meanwhile, Markus' Scream Tour stop in NYC was a mixed bag I think. I blame the majority of the negativity on Made Event/Markus' management for the terrible idea of combining the Scream release event with the after-party from Electric Zoo because the atmosphere was AWFUL! The majority of the crowd were stoned out of their minds and the floor was full of obnoxious bros who pushed and shoved to get around in a crowded dance floor. While standing in line, I heard a number of people ask "Who the fuck is Markus Schulz and who is KhoMha? Do they play Dubstep?" even heard someone say "I don't know, but I've heard some good rappers I haven't heard of before when I'm here, I hope its something like that!" After they spent the day partying with Steve Aoki and DJ BL3ND at EZoo, it didn't surprise me that they didn't seem to receive Markus' set very well. It felt like it never really got going as any time we'd advance towards the rabbit hole, Markus would have to loop back around and play some more big hits to keep them interested. Plus, when he played Love Rain Down and Caught, the vocalists came out on stage and it felt very awkward (especially during Love Rain Down) since the crowd didn't seem to me to be thrilled about them at any point other than when they say "Make some noise NYC! Scream!!" The only time they went nuts was when Markus played a remix of Promises and Porter Robinson's Language...Not to mention after his set there was a group chanting "DUBSTEP! DUBSTEP!" as he came down to meet with the fans. -- Maybe it's just me, and someone else who was there may have had a more positive experience, but I just wanted to get this out there in case Markus gets the chance to see it so hopefully it can be discussed for future events.

With all of that aside, I still managed to enjoy spending the night with some fellow Coldharbour Citizens and seeing familiar faces. Markus was a great sport and it was great to catch up with him and KhoMha again briefly after the show. It was also nice to see Grube & Hovsepian and Arnej hanging around, seemed like the Coldharbour family was in town. I am really hoping the Scream Tour makes a stop here in DC so I can get a proper taste of how it's supposed to be because I heard Miami was a night to remember.

CuervoELektro
04-09-12, 09:46 PM

I can not agree more with those words.

Rick Valentine
04-09-12, 10:54 PM
Well, the way I see it, he gives us one of the best shows on a weekly basis; the City Compilations are second to none, and the Dakota alias is more of the style that we want. So when Markus releases his artist album, and there are a few mainstream tracks on it, I analyze it as it is; an artist album under his name with him experimenting with new sounds.

Obviously as in any CD compilation or album, there will be songs I don't like.

But on the awesome meter we have:

1. GDJB
2. City Compilations
3. Dakota
4. Supports smaller artists by playing their music on the show.

IDK, I just see the Scream album as a stand alone experiment and not a sign that OMG Markus sold out! LOL.

But that's me, I don't want to rain on someone's parade if I don't like a song, I just listen to the ones I do like. Simple, no stress, no broken dishes and no kung fu fighting :P

Besides, these things are a cycle, this year I think the show has gotten better with music from the likes of Basil, Wellenrausch, Rex Mundi, etc.

P.S. Markus or anyone at CH, sorry to threadjack, but is there going to be another Big Room Recons EP like last year?

Agree pretty much what i mean by my posts

modthispny
05-09-12, 01:07 AM
if i read this thread without listening to the album, i would think that 23/23 tracks are all cheesy and cookie-cutter.

come on people, we're getting carried away here. as markus said, what if the album was only 12 tracks?

carry on
nothing without me
sing me back to life
tempted
universe is mine

those are all great vocals, some of the other male vocals are great too.

don't heave until sunrise, triotonic, soul seeking, push the button..all quality tracks IMO.

jdub889
05-09-12, 06:41 AM
haha, don't heave until sunrise

jdub889
05-09-12, 06:45 AM
i like some songs on the album. i don't like others. such is life.

i like some of the tracks on the new album and i don't like some, but so is life.

great minds... :P :P

jambo
06-09-12, 02:04 AM
Just think about all of the dub remixes from Coldharbour artists. Should be awesome!

chimera
06-09-12, 06:01 AM

apparently so :D

buraksbt
06-09-12, 12:14 PM

a lot of laughs :D :D

CarlosSR
06-09-12, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to listen to the remixes.

Robert Swindon
07-09-12, 09:15 AM
I can't wait till the remixes and dubs are released!!! "Universe Is Mine (Coldharbour Dub)" would be nice IMO! There's heaps of potential in that album! The album grows on me each time I listen! ;)