PDA

View Full Version : Shutting down forums?

modthispny
28-03-12, 10:49 PM
from the man himself.

@MarkusSchulz Thinking about shutting down the forums on my website, seems like it is just a complaint board. Does anyone visit message boards anymore?

TigerClaw
28-03-12, 11:32 PM
Yeah, People are gonna need to change there tune and not use this board to complain about stuff.

modthispny
28-03-12, 11:37 PM
noticed that the forum posts are no longer visible from markusschulz.com

CarlosSR
29-03-12, 01:10 AM
Yeah, it seems like there is really just a handful of people just posting now, it's a shame really.

CarlosSR
29-03-12, 01:53 AM
P.S. please don't shut it down, I myself come on here at least twice a day, and I still want a place I can post all the pics and vids of your gigs.

I still need my computer fixed so I can upload all the footage I got from Coldharbour Night and The Space Closing Party this year.

tina
29-03-12, 03:24 AM
P.S. please don't shut it down, I myself come on here at least twice a day, and I still want a place I can post all the pics and vids of your gigs.

I still need my computer fixed so I can upload all the footage I got from Coldharbour Night and The Space Closing Party this year.

yep...closing down the forums would not stop people from "complaining" and we need the forums for the ID thread and to talk about other cold harbour artists and stuff...I for one would wish that most people that still post in here would be more open minded to other' opinions and not get all mad because they do not agree with you a specific subject.

TigerClaw
29-03-12, 12:37 PM
Yeah which is why the people who have problems should just keep it to themselves and just move on. These forums were made so that people can talk about the music and not complain about it if they don't agree with the direction. The forums are also used for tracklist.

Alex
29-03-12, 01:39 PM
Sometimes I complained(we all sometimes have a bad day), but guys it's cool to visit MS Forum after rough day, hear new tunes posted in ID thread. Please keep it! :-)

caesarinho
29-03-12, 02:38 PM
I will ask Markus about this during today's GDJB chat if he is available.

topereq
29-03-12, 02:49 PM
yeah but what's the point of keeping forums where you can't complain and share your opinion with the others?

aakos
29-03-12, 04:07 PM
No need to close the forum, we need the official tracklist here, not to mention the ID's thread. :)

tina
29-03-12, 04:51 PM
yeah but what's the point of keeping forums where you can't complain and share your opinion with the others?

this right here...mods need to be more lenient and respect people's opinions instead of deleting threads and warning/banning even if they themselves don't agree with them...this is a discussion forum not a markus cult/worship site
and besides, we all joined this site because we are markoooose fans

aakos
29-03-12, 05:00 PM
we all joined this site because we are markoooose fans

!!!

well said ;)

caesarinho
29-03-12, 05:15 PM
I will ask Markus about this during today's GDJB chat if he is available.

Alright, Markus answered my question of Facebook:

it's becoming too much of a Coldharbour complaints office, and it's hard for me to keep motivated when I'm reading the same negativity day in and day out. Won't definitely shut them down but it's in my mind.

I am thinking about closing the MS forums because the most important things going on people do not discuss. For example, no topics about the massive B2B sets from this weekend. No discussion about Ferry, Khomha and me working in studio, no discussion about tracks like Go, Remember Magnetic North...just random tired topics are discussed. I took it off the MS.com front page because that page is my home page and everytime I am on my laptop these tired topics stare me in the face and give me negative energy. The entire forums has a dark energy to it.

it's a little sad because I devoted a lot of time to reading forums over the years, it's hard to understand why there is this hatred when I or others have done nothing to people personally

I think I am more accessible through social media anyways. And to be honest I do not like going to the forums because of the energy there. I do not need people to tell me how great I am or stuff like that, I welcome comments when something is not right, but when I play a massive set in front of 30,000 people and facebook and twitter are blowing up, yet the forums dead, there is something not in sync. I just need to cut out some of the negative vibes in my life. I am so happy right now creatively.

YEah so for now I just took the forums off the front page of MS.com. It is pointless to have posts that do not represent what the majority of the fans are feeling on the front page of my website.

caesarinho
29-03-12, 05:30 PM
To be honest, he does have right in some points. But main problem is that there will always be ones who constantly complain. But they were minority in the past when those forums flourished. Now most of people are gone and haters are majority. The solution is to get these forums more active and not to close them. There still are people who dont want them to be closed.

Voodoo Child
29-03-12, 05:56 PM
The solution is to get these forums more active and not to close them. I just wanted to say this.

If MS forums were closed I would be very sad. I prefer forums to social media because of better discussions. I think positive impact on discussions and the forums in general would have the comeback of Darren!

caesarinho
29-03-12, 06:02 PM
Social medias have its advantages but on forums is better discussion. When I read comments on Markus's Facebok, many of them are just spam and one word answers. There's not any discussion except during GDJB when he chats with us. 99% people who comment on his tweets - I cant see them never during GDJB. While all the same 20 or 30 faces every Thursday there on Facebook and those are diehard fans. On forums we have better discussion than on FB and more dedicated fans, we just need to get new members and increase its activity - than we will cut down the hatred. But I must say, I never saw almost anyone from this forums chatting with Markus during GDJB's on Facebook. He is there chatting with us almost every GDJB.

CarlosSR
29-03-12, 07:12 PM
Well, as for me, I like to browse a bit of everything on the forum, even if it isn't a new topic.

But I'm also from the school of thought that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say, or rather say it in private.

Think of it like this, if you have a problem with a co worker, the Professional etiquette would dictate that a discussion be had in private out of respect and professionalism.

I don't see why it's so difficult to follow this. Granted, I understand that we all identify with the music, but that doesn't give anyone the right to be self entitled and start posting negative comments. I've posted this before and I'll post it again; If you wouldn't say it to someone in person, what makes it okay to post it on the internet, a public place? Is it Internet Anonymity?
It's one thing to say "Okay, personally I'm not feeling this track" But this is crossing the line "Rip OFF!!!!!!" Seriously???

I think honestly the last time I saw this forum come together was for my Thoughts Become Things 2 All Dakota Episode thread I had started last year.

And Markus is right, there have been a lot of great developments going on with Coldharbour, but no one discusses it. And mainly I think it's due to people not wanting to start a topic to avoid an all out flame war.

As for me, I love posting the gigs I go see Markus play at, and in all honesty, attending Coldharbour Night and being at the pre party, that was a Dream come true. Chatting with Khomha, Adrian Ivan, Arnej, Tim n Mike, and Holger, that was special. I and consider it a privilege to have been a part this special night.

Granted, I hope I wasn't too annoying once I had those shots, because I don't remember anything after that, LMAO!

All in all, it also falls on us, the forum members to keep this place active.

fridaycoffee
29-03-12, 07:24 PM
in some things i agree with him, but others not...its like if you follow me blindly you're cool,if not you're not worthy because i can get 10 new other fans instead of you in just a second... but at the same time there's no use complaining over and over again...if he really enjoys what he does and not for the money its his choice, like it was his choice to produced the music that appealed to many in the past, life changes quickly...he have to deal with it...

anyway the forum is dead....

tina
29-03-12, 07:46 PM
in some things i agree with him, but others not...its like if you follow me blindly you're cool,if not you're not worthy because i can get 10 new other fans instead of you in just a second... but at the same time there's no use complaining over and over again...if he really enjoys what he does and not for the money its his choice, like it was his choice to produced the music that appealed to many in the past, life changes quickly...he have to deal with it...

anyway the forum is dead....
pretty much
the old cold harbour people left a long time ago as they saw where markus is heading now-a-days and his new "30,000 people on facebook and twitter that are live at his concerts" either don't know about the forums, or don't care enough about markus and the cold harbour crew enough to become a member and post (imo)...
i will remain and continue to lurk/post forever!!

CarlosSR
29-03-12, 08:09 PM
I've come to a conclusion about this whole ordeal that has been coming for a while, and this may upset some, but this is a discussion, so why not?

There's fans of a "sound" and then there's fans of a person.

I'll leave it at that and hopefully those that read my post can come to their own conclusions and what that statement really means.

Sivro
29-03-12, 08:10 PM
in some things i agree with him, but others not...its like if you follow me blindly you're cool,if not you're not worthy because i can get 10 new other fans instead of you in just a second...

I think you are misreading the context man. Markus isn't advocating a blind following, he is just stating the facts: his social media fans discuss and respond to EVERYTHING he's involved in right as it happens (gigs, studio sessions, videos, releases, even his daily tweets/posts, etc.), while the forums tend to lag way behind if they even talk about it at all. It's not about replacing old fans with new fans at all.

and his new "30,000 people on facebook and twitter that are live at his concerts" either don't know about the forums, or don't care enough about markus and the cold harbour crew enough to become a member and post (imo)...
I think there's some truth to that. I think most of them aren't aware about his forums and/or don't care for forums due to social media. I'm a huge Markus fan, but once I starting seeing how dead the forums became, I stopped posting and just headed over to Facebook and Twitter. So, I wouldn't say it's a matter of loyalty, but just a matter of preference. -- Either way, I think you are right, and most of the new fans probably don't care about the forums, which is a bad thing.

CarlosSR
29-03-12, 08:34 PM
Good point on the social media; I think that twitter and FB have the advantage of instant feedback, although it isn't deep or well thought out compared to the forum which is more of a discussion type of outlet.

But also, social media sites are more reflective of the world we live in; the fast, million miles an hour million things to do in a day and social media requires small amounts of time and the fact that we have access to these sites on go means that we don't have to type in such a thought out reply.

But, they are not conducive to these types of discussions either. So therefore, I think, it is necessary to have both.

For example, a 6 hour broadcast will see more activity on the forums than a 6 hour club night such as Space. One, we have the luxury of listening to a recorded set from our homes and we can post about that set on the forums. But with a live gig, instant access is preferable, and hence twitter and FB have the advantage.

Sivro
29-03-12, 08:44 PM
Good point on the social media; I think that twitter and FB have the advantage of instant feedback, although it isn't deep or well thought out compared to the forum which is more of a discussion type of outlet.
Yeah, it's literally impossible to have a deep discussion on Twitter, and on Facebook it's often hard to read or gets lost in "view previous comments" -- So I definitely agree, forums are a wonderful and the best place for in-depth discussion and debate.

So therefore, I think, it is necessary to have both.
I agree. When Markus first announced that he might close the forums, I figured it was just a matter of technological evolution, but in hindsight I've come to realize that the forums are important for that very reason...And this is why I am back here now, in hopes of helping keep it alive! ;)

CarlosSR
29-03-12, 10:03 PM
Also, I've noticed that people tend to wait until Tigerclaw starts a new thread on upcoming releases and that's when people discuss that release, for example Go!

No one has started a thread, but when it is officially announced, that's usually the start of a convo. It isn't necessarily that people don't want to talk about upcoming releases (that's why we have the Current ID Thread), but I feel it's closer to reality that people maybe don't want to step on any toes.

But yea, I def love Go! I tweeted this weekend at Space that this production would be at home as an action movie trailer tune. And I've been behind on my CH purchases, being broke sucks, (I really really want to cop the Rex Mundi and Khomha EPs).

Let's keep it going! :D

Steam
29-03-12, 11:23 PM
Please do not close the forums. I don't post but I do use the forums for news and upcoming releases.

SergioS
30-03-12, 01:32 AM
Keep doing your thing Markus.

I'll try to post more over here, I'm guilty of not doing so as much ;)

Markus_Addict23
30-03-12, 02:22 AM
Keep them open Markus. I visit once in a while to get ID's and see whats going on.

jdub889
30-03-12, 06:03 AM
i think it would be disappointing if the forums were shut down. i understand if they aren't what they once were, but i disagree that there's not a lot of excitement generated here for what's going on in markus's sets, releases, etc. the LA12 release party thread, for example, was like 10 pages long before the party ever happened, and remained active for at least a week afterward as people were reliving the memories. also, just because tracks like go! and remember magnetic north might not have entire threads dedicated to them, there was a ton of chatter about go! in the ID thread before he identified it (and we even guessed who the track was by). if that's not total markus nerddom i don't know what is.

i like the forums here because people here generally know way more about markus and coldharbour than i do and as a fan it's fun to be surrounded by that, even if some opinions are negative and others positive. twitter and facebook are just full of people posting "hey markus when are you gonna play my city lulz" in response to everything, even though everyone there is a fan they mostly don't know enough to spark an engaging conversation about the music we all love. i think twitter, facebook, the forums, tranceaddict, everything has a use for some people and it would be a shame if the forums got shut down because only a few people still use them. whatever though, if they get shut down i'll just find somewhere else to waste my time talking about music, cause that's just what i do :)

caesarinho
30-03-12, 01:12 PM
pretty much
the old cold harbour people left a long time ago as they saw where markus is heading now-a-days and his new "30,000 people on facebook and twitter that are live at his concerts" either don't know about the forums, or don't care enough about markus and the cold harbour crew enough to become a member and post (imo)...
i will remain and continue to lurk/post forever!!

And where Markus is heading? The LA compilaton (especially CD1) and Bolandish track: are they Coldharbour style or unicorn slaying? GJDBs are not deep and dark enough? In his last 2011's blog Markus said he will surprise us with some progressive stuff under his own name, not Dakota, and he hit the nail with Bolandish! So saying that he changed his style is not valid point. If Markus changed his direction than Tiesto changed this planet and lives on Pluto.

But yea, I def love Go! I tweeted this weekend at Space that this production would be at home as an action movie trailer tune. ...

Hahaha such a true statement!

CarlosSR
30-03-12, 01:23 PM
Believe it or not, some of the old school Coldharbour fans are still here, they're just not as vocal anymore, but they never left. They still tune in. I just think that there needs some time to pass before they feel comfortable about opening up.

A lot of my friends are the old school fans, it really does suck that label growth has divided this community.

ufoo
01-04-12, 01:18 AM
I hope that forum won't shut down. This would be big loss. So I think forum people should do something with this. If forum will be closed it won't happen so quickly. So we can rescue it, I think. But only if you care about it.

Evening Twilight
01-04-12, 01:53 AM
Well...

Personally, I always trying to support Markus, even when he is playing shits, like SvD - Chasin...

and don't Forget it's his own career guys, and he know best what to do himself!

Long Life for Coldharbour!

f00sp4m
01-04-12, 06:17 AM
I generally lurk, but I've been thinking for a while that it would be much nicer if the forums would just move over to reddit. Forums are a dead technology (sorry guys, it's true), and having to stop by this forum instead of just being able to see it on my reddit front page is a giant waste of time (at least for me). You can move over to reddit, maintain username/handle, have a much nicer interface for browsing, oh and, for those of you that like to argue incessantly, you can upvote and downvote until your heart is content. It was not taken, so I created:

http://www.reddit.com/r/markusschulz/

I have no desire to moderate it, but if someone from here wants to take it over let me know.

PS. If you want the reddit then please msg me on reddit, might not see it here.

fridaycoffee
01-04-12, 10:23 AM
no way reddit is painfully to read....

Kjuna
01-04-12, 04:51 PM
The main thing about twitter & facebook - is that a person posted something & forgot about it in a min because he posted a dozen of other posts after that. It just a minute interest, not a continuous one. In-depth discussion are only alive in forums - much easier to read and follow the thing.

jdub889
01-04-12, 06:41 PM
I generally lurk, but I've been thinking for a while that it would be much nicer if the forums would just move over to reddit. Forums are a dead technology (sorry guys, it's true), and having to stop by this forum instead of just being able to see it on my reddit front page is a giant waste of time (at least for me). You can move over to reddit, maintain username/handle, have a much nicer interface for browsing, oh and, for those of you that like to argue incessantly, you can upvote and downvote until your heart is content. It was not taken, so I created:

http://www.reddit.com/r/markusschulz/

I have no desire to moderate it, but if someone from here wants to take it over let me know.

PS. If you want the reddit then please msg me on reddit, might not see it here.

haaaaaaaahahahaha

caesarinho
02-04-12, 03:18 PM
I think things are getting better on forums after that scary warning. :p

Alex
02-04-12, 04:20 PM
I think things are getting better on forums after that scary warning. :p
Markus is clever person :D

CarlosSR
02-04-12, 05:41 PM
+1 for clever, there's a reason Coldharbour is one of the best labels in the biz.

DJ_Andy
02-04-12, 11:01 PM
mmmh, should i feel guilty now for posting the negative missing LA 12' tracks topic?

Ericc B
12-04-12, 12:25 PM
I don't consider 30.000 people whose average post content on FB doesn't get above the level of MARKUSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WhEn ArE yOu CommmIng 2 mY cOuntyYYY????!!!! fans.

I do agree though that forums are a dead medium. The reason for this imo is twofold. First of all the DJ artists without exception have left their own forums themselves, leading to a majority of the community members giving up as well and leaving a small group of disgruntled fans who are most of all frustrated that they lost the ability to interact with their hero and now are basically left to talk amongst themselves. Add to that the massive changes in sound and style that most of these artists are constantly making, desperate to get a slice of the new David Guetta generation and there you have your explanation for all the negativity.

If these artists weren't so busy trying to be pop stars while hiding behind the unilateral communication wall of social media none of this would have happened. Hate, bickering and arguments have always been the side effects of being a pop star. And becoming one also comes with hurdles of new "fans" who are absolutely clueless about your history and have no recognition whatsoever if you're just walking the beaten to death path on autopilot or are actually doing something great and creative.

Gareth Emery playing On a Metropolis day at ASOT 550 and the crowd going wild. I rest my case.

tina
12-04-12, 05:12 PM
^^^^^^^
a little late on this conversation but you are 100% right

DoMarcikar
12-04-12, 07:19 PM
Just read this, and shocked me a lot. Well, I think closing the forums is not a good idea. We need to make it more active. It would be too easy just to close it. People, let's do something for the forum. Also about the deadness. When there were smore people, and we discussed every single ID, and stuff like that, that waas beacuse 2 people started saying "Wow, this ID is good, let's find it out!", and things like that. Well, but when we don't discuss it. I understand this whole situation, if two or more people doesn't come up with these stuffs, of course, in a short time it will get usual, and won't doing this. Admit it, none of you would like to discuss about an ID, or anything like that for just yourself, but when we had more people, then It wasn't that "embrassing", or I don't know why is it like that today. Anyway I'm not sure if it's just me, or you people recognize it too, but when we had this update in the forums the activeness of people went hugely down. The old forum was better in this point of view, I don't know what made the people leave this forum, when it changed. As everybody knows, I'm the youngest Coldharbour fan here with my 14 years old, but I do see things that are missing. We need to bring new peoples, or old ones back, It's always easy to say "Well, they are inactive, just damn it, let's delete it." This forum needs people, those are the only missing things. Also I saw most of you guys do post things in the other topics, and I mostly see the posters of my "What are you playing now? :)" topic are not online while GDJB is on DI, and not posting any feedback to the show, that's why I'm not surprised we only have 4 or 5 pages per episode fulfilled every time. Back in the older days we had 20 pages per every episode. Hope you still read this, Markus, f not, please guys try to tell him my opinion, would be important. Hope this makes him leave the forum as it is. We just need people, and you guys at all the off-topics. Don't just be active there, but when It's GJDB time, pull yourself together, and enjoy the music what Markus gives us every Thursday. Hope you read this, Markus, if not, please guys try to spread him my opinion. The forum shouldn't be closed. We, fans want it to be alive. And yea, this is my opinin with my 14 years.

CarlosSR
12-04-12, 10:00 PM
This forum is not the only place that sees negativity, it's just the internet and how people in general behave behind a computer monitor.

I frequent another site and I found this article to be quite interesting because it does relate to not just this forum, but also many other forums as well.
http://comics.ign.com/articles/122/1222037p1.html

The general message is the same, people in general will always nitpick or just be negative. It shouldn't be this way, yes, but unfortunately it is human nature and any sort of entertainment that is shared online with others and people have access to voice their thoughts, inevitably the naysayers are going to come in and just voice their "opinion" whether it be worded politely or otherwise.

However, it is up to the community to come in and discuss these topics and steer the negativity away and have a neutral discussion, it is okay to agree to disagree, however there are ways of going about it.

It seems like thinking before speaking or voicing an opinion is a lost art form and being conscious of others and how we perceive these opinions.

Seems some of us aren't open to constructive criticism while others aren't even aware of the concept.

I am however glad at the few of us still here, seems like we are the minority that can think and express ourselves without offending others, to you guys, I congratulate you.

I am also find myself frequenting more since the mood of this forum has been on the more positive, mature side. Keep it up everyone :D

Hayley
15-04-12, 12:15 PM
I must admit, I stopped visiting these forums on a regular basis, a while ago for the same reason that Markus wants to shut this place down - Negativity... far too much of it! And it seems to be the same group of people throughout. Guys, we have heard your opinion over and over again! We don't need to keep on hearing it. It starts to get a little bit draining, and upsetting at least for me. The GDJB chat seems to have gone in the same direction too (I also stopped going there)

Having said that, I really don't think these forums should be shut down, in fact I think they need to be ALOT more active! I've met some great people through this place, people who I now consider close friends :-)

CarlosSR
15-04-12, 01:12 PM
Hayley, glad to see you back! I hope you stick around :)

caesarinho
15-04-12, 02:13 PM
Yeah, forum looks more positive now again so we hope you will keep returning. :)

Hayley
15-04-12, 05:58 PM
I'll stick around if they keep this place open :-p

jdub889
16-04-12, 01:40 AM
I'll stick around if they keep this place open :-p

tell adrian to come back too!

Hayley
16-04-12, 07:23 AM
tell adrian to come back too!

I'll try...

CarlosSR
16-04-12, 06:46 PM
Sometimes They Come Back For More :P

or The Return, The Ones That Get Away?

I'm having too much fun here LOL.

chimera
19-04-12, 06:05 AM
i'm super late to the party, but i like knowing there is a place to get info on markus' happenings and get a chance to interact with other fans. maybe keep it open for certain events, not sure how that will work though...

tina
24-04-12, 01:59 AM
did you guys notice that the forum topics are back up on the front page??
markus loves us again...YAY!!!

CarlosSR
24-04-12, 08:25 AM
YEAH!!!!!!! I'm a bit happier now with these news, my night ain't so great at work.

Sivro
25-04-12, 04:57 PM
This is good news. Don't forget to remind everyone to participate here!

Rick Valentine
09-05-12, 11:47 PM
I must admit, I stopped visiting these forums on a regular basis, a while ago for the same reason that Markus wants to shut this place down - Negativity... far too much of it! And it seems to be the same group of people throughout. Guys, we have heard your opinion over and over again! We don't need to keep on hearing it. It starts to get a little bit draining, and upsetting at least for me. The GDJB chat seems to have gone in the same direction too (I also stopped going there)

Having said that, I really don't think these forums should be shut down, in fact I think they need to be ALOT more active! I've met some great people through this place, people who I now consider close friends :-)

What Hayley said, i remember running the markusschulz.nu forums before this one went live and we had none of this negativity, too many people now days who think they know what's best.
We don't want your negative opinions over & over again, i still visit this forum though i don't post as much now days and sometimes i see nothing but stupid posts, enjoy the music, if not you know where the log out button is....

Neruda
10-05-12, 02:17 AM
If we want more activity and participation in this forums, we dont need only active users, we also need more activity from the adm and markus himself: Post interviews, news,blogs, video blog, etc, etc. This thing must be bidirectional. Besides tracklisting and upcoming releases, there's nothing more. The last time that i saw markus and 80-90% of the users in here was for the search of all the dakota material.