PDA

View Full Version : Did trance changed again?

Daydreamer
10-10-11, 10:17 AM
Hi guys,

As most of you know or believe (at least I do) low bpm trance became popular in 2004 which made everyone wanted to produce something
similar to that, which caused trance become dead in 2005 (trance had to be reinvented).

Now 6 years later trance might be even not a genre anymore because of it's high influences by house and/or techno.

Do you think trance has suffered a major change (again) ?

Ayden
10-10-11, 11:28 PM
I believe that there were 2 major changes - after 2004 and after 2009. I was okay after 2004, but I'm not quite happy about the changes after 2009.

ohcrapitsnico
11-10-11, 12:28 AM
I believe that there were 2 major changes - after 2004 and after 2009. I was okay after 2004, but I'm not quite happy about the changes after 2009.

I agree here. 2009-2010 is when "uplifting trance" started to be phased out, now more or less there's so few uplifting tracks (I'm talking about the high bpm stuff that comes out on Enhanced and FSOE and such). And the huge house and commercial influences are unmistakable, ie trouse. Basically, trance imo is trying to be more club oriented. It seems melodic stuff is out of style, it's more about electro drops and heavy basslines now. And lets be real, more producers want to make music that will be played in a club and get more exposure, vs more melodic/laidback stuff that'll be played on radioshows and the like.

Maybe once the electro/dubstep/SHM stuff has been overdone there will be another shift. I mean its not very surprising, music changes.

james
11-10-11, 10:13 PM
It has changed three times in my opinion. Around 2003-2004 (the loss of true prog), 2008-2009 (major influx of pop and vocals), and again around 2010-2011 (major influx of house/techno/electro) in my opinion.

Ericc B
11-10-11, 10:57 PM
It's not so much trance that changes, it's what certain DJ's play that changes. There is more old school trance being produced today than ever before. But if you keep on listening to the same old limited set of big name DJ's then you will not hear that anymore because they constantly adjust their repertoire in chase of the big crowds.

james
12-10-11, 02:10 AM
Well, when the milestone DJs who represent trance completely change their style like this...it's the scene that is changing.

modthispny
12-10-11, 02:30 AM
Well, when the milestone DJs who represent trance completely change their style like this...it's the scene that is changing.

yep. while i like the new approach, there is definitely a big change.

for example, armin van buuren played david guetta's new song with usher this last weekend in vegas. i will admit dj's generally play a different style in vegas, but it's definitely changing.

trouse is here to stay for now.