PDA

View Full Version : Sound Issues at Creamfields

brett
30-08-11, 10:13 AM
Went to Creamfields this Sunday (very, very muddy!!) to see and support Markus for his first Creamfields gig in the UK I believe. Enjoyed the set but noticed the sound level was very low during Markus' set. Being right at the front centre I could see that Markus was not happy with the volume and expressed his concerns to the staff several times to no avail.

I for one know that Markus' tracks especially at an outdoor festival set need to be played loud and being able to hold a conversation right at the front with no effort told me it should have been louder.

Full credit to Markus who after a few minutes realised nothing was going to change and got into it...a true professional. Not a nice thing to see your No1 DJ not happy and I can only hold the Creamfields sound technicians responsible. It was a shame to see the Emery team checking his decks over and over before Markus finished and as I was leaving for the volume to be bumped up for Gareth.

I am no DJ but is volume control not left to the DJ on the decks. I know Markus used a different set to the previous DJ so maybe a lead wasn’t transferred; your thoughts guys??

Daydreamer
30-08-11, 10:29 AM
I'm just curious, when is it loud enough? Till it hurts your ears? I can't stand that. :P

brett
30-08-11, 01:34 PM
I'm just curious, when is it loud enough? Till it hurts your ears? I can't stand that. :P
It just was at a level where it sounded low to the point where it was affecting the way tracks sounded. For example when he kicked off his set with UR (MS Big Room Intro Mix) when it kicks in after the build up it just sounded weak like there should be more. Markus made it clear he wasn’t happy and was looking around while mixing to try and find someone to resolve the issue but like I said he just got on with it after a few tracks.

This isn’t an issue of my ears not being what they used to be after many Markus gigs in front row :lol: but the fact that this shouldn’t have never happened at such an established and world famous festival.

I take my hat off to Markus with getting on with it and interacting with the crowd. I could name a handful of DJ’s who would have most likely stopped playing and walked off.

james
30-08-11, 04:40 PM
There's a usually a guy or a team of people who handle the important audio stuff. Obviously the DJ can decrease/increase the volume from his end, but he doesn't have the master control.

sjhilllandscapes
30-08-11, 06:28 PM

IT CAN NEVER BE TOO LOUD!

Too right markus should ask for it too be turned up. I always feel that at global gathering the sound just isn't loud enough. UR is such a strong starter track but you need that bass line melting your brain for it to work too its full effect. I think that's why us ministry regulars are spoilt because that sound system combined with the markus schulz sound is perfect.

brett
31-08-11, 03:22 PM
There's a usually a guy or a team of people who handle the important audio stuff. Obviously the DJ can decrease/increase the volume from his end, but he doesn't have the master control.
I had a feeling that was the general idea of how it worked. Have know from previous festivals for the volume to be bumped up as the day goes on so the last act (usually the main headliner) has full volume or louder than it was say at the beginning of the day for example.

But surely if a DJ expresses his intentions of wanting it tuned up to get the most of the tracks being played and to also give the audience the maximum effect it should be done.

Anyway enough ranting on about it I still enjoyed the set. Just hope I never have to experience it again a mixture of emotions of excitement that Markus was playing but at the same time knowing he wasn’t happy for at least the start of the set took me a while to get into it.

Sheedy
31-08-11, 06:02 PM
Sounds like an absolute disgrace, glad I didn't go now, I was doing to do the Sunday just to watch Markus. At least hes doing a mini tour of the UK in October so I get to see him on serious sound systems 8-)

Havana
31-08-11, 07:29 PM
I don't think it was a discrace as such and I personally didn't think it was too quiet. From where I was stood, it seemed like Markus was struggling to hear his monitors. And I thought the sound guys were working very hard to get the problem fixed, obviously from a DJ's point of view, this should already be sorted before he takes to the decks, but I felt like it was a genuine technical fault which seemed to be out of the sound guy's control cos one of them even checked the back of the decks and mixer. Markus also simulated smashing up the decks, which got a great reaction from the crowd lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.767188,-2.723525

ollyjeff
31-08-11, 08:32 PM
aah i love tht